Windows 10: Outdated Information

Discus and support Outdated Information in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the main File Explorer window that contains the physical hardware that the computer consists of: This PC There is outdated information. Notice the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Jan 4, 2017.

1. pepanee Win User

Outdated Information

In the main File Explorer window that contains the physical hardware that the computer consists of: This PC
    There is outdated information. Notice the title of the first section: Hard Disk Drives

As a matter of fact, one of those drives is not a Disk Drive; it is a Solid State Drive.

How can I rename the titles of those two sections: Hard Disk Drives & Devices with Removable Storage? What's the Registry location or .dll file that contains this info? Unless there's a 3rd party app that can help me easily rename the title sections?

Thanks

Outdated Information [​IMG]

:)

pepanee, Jan 4, 2017
  2. Pavan_N Win User

How to inform Windows Update of Outdated Drivers?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

• Do you get any error code or message when you try to update?

I suggest you to refer the link suggested by Rohit Chettri
    April 19, 2015.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jan 4, 2017
  3. C Riley Win User
    How to inform Windows Update of Outdated Drivers?

Windows Update keeps wanting to install Intel Drivers for my GPU from 2 years ago. Intel keeps wanting to update them to the latest from last August. So they do. And then one updates after the other is done and round and round they go. And Adobe products
    just keep telling me that my drivers aren't up to date. HELP! How do I let the Windows Updates database that is is using severely outdated drivers updates for my Intel GPU?

C Riley, Jan 4, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Outdated Information

These headings cannot be renamed . In the computer community as well as Microsoft an SSD's is not separated under the banner Hard Disk Drives. Mechanical drives and SSD's are still storage drives. The C: drive is clearly labeled SSD.
    What other drives do you have that are no longer in your computer that are showing here?

spunk, Jan 5, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    Hi,
    Yea I named that drive as "The Local Solid State Drive" because it looks good that way. Everything connected to the computer shows there correctly. But just the title for the first section looks kinda strange as of for today's hardware.

I just like things stated as perfect & as simple as possible. I mean one suggested and preferred name for that first section instead of:

Hard Disk Drives

would just simply be:

Hard Drives

(without the word "Disk")

"Hard Drives" would cover both HDDs & SSDs

pepanee, Jan 5, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Ummm..... which letter in SSD stands for "Hard"? The word "hard" in hard disk drive is describing the disk platter itself, not the drive. That's why there were floppy disk drives - because the discs in the floppy discs were - well floppy and not hard. Although the 3 1/2" floppy discs were in hard cases compared to the true 8 inch and 5 1/4 inch floppy discs which were in floppy cases as well as the disc being floppy.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    lol, okay thanks for the correction? But you still understand my point. I guess a valid title would be:

Hard Disk and Solid State Drives

pepanee, Jan 5, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Outdated Information

Tomatoes, tomatos. Any storage drive plugged into the SATA or eSATA port is in fact called a "Hard Drive", which comes from the very first days when they were created.

bro67, Jan 5, 2017
  9. pepanee Win User
    ...... ? ......hence, outdated.

pepanee, Jan 5, 2017
  10. pepanee Win User
    LOL, I apologize if I'm being unclear or very complicated to describe something very simple.

I want to rename that first title to something other than "Hard Disk Drives"
    If someone has any advanced suggestion that can modify some operating system file that can do that, or if someone knows some 3rd party app that can do that for me, that would be awesome.

pepanee, Jan 5, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    Every now and then I read something that makes me wonder if the main purpose of a PC is to be a showpiece. "Look, I have a Solid State Drive! Do not mix it with a hard disk drive. It's special."

How about naming your non-removable storage devices descriptive? Names that tell for what purpose that disk is there. For all purposes, your system does not care if the non-removable disk is an HDD or an SSD, therefore they are presented in same group. For Windows they are both storage devices under same category, doing the same job, existing for the same purpose. That group's name is of course very unimportant.

For me it's enough to see all storage and other devices under Devices and drives.

12. CountMike New Member
    I like it simple:

Although I use Total Commander 99% of time.

CountMike, Jan 5, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

Outdated Information

It looks as if you've used "Old/New Explorer" in the past because that's how it shows as "Windows 7 Classic Drive Grouping"- 'Hard Disk Drives'
    It's called 'Devices and Drives' by default.

Edwin, Jan 5, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    Nothing is outdated. If you do not like it, then write your own Operating system. Even Mac OS and Linux calls SSD's Hard Drives. That is because of the interface that they are connected to and not every computer, laptop or tablet like the Surface has a SSD in it.

Even five decades from now if we are still alive, they will still call the internal storage device a "Hard Drive", short for "Hardware Storage Device" Drive.

IBM created the Hard Drive and they can still ask for it to be called that, since they still hold the patent on the design of the device and interface design in how it communicates across the Data Bus.

bro67, Jan 5, 2017
  15. bro67 Win User
    Argue it with IBM. They patented the design and the name and it will be continued to be called a "Hard Disk Drive Storage Device/Interface" for a very long time. Platter Drives are not going away anytime soon, since there is not any type of Solid State Storage yet that is fast enough for use in real world use for science and CGI.

Just be glad that we do not have to deal with the 16" Platter stacks anymore.

bro67, Jan 5, 2017
Thema:

Outdated Information

1. Outdated Information - Similar Threads - Outdated Information

2. Onedrive not syncing files. How do I reset this if your online help is outdated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive not syncing files. How do I reset this if your online help is outdated?: Hi, I'm trying to get onedrive to backup my files in my document folder but they are all stuck forever on syncing and it doesnt change. How can I solve this problem? I've tried to follow your online help but there is no unlink from this computer or unlink account options that...
  3. Onedrive not syncing files. How do I reset this if your online help is outdated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive not syncing files. How do I reset this if your online help is outdated?: Hi, I'm trying to get onedrive to backup my files in my document folder but they are all stuck forever on syncing and it doesnt change. How can I solve this problem? I've tried to follow your online help but there is no unlink from this computer or unlink account options that...
  4. How to update outdate drivers and how to find them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to update outdate drivers and how to find them?: Yeah, how do you find them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-outdate-drivers-and-how-to-find-them/2d10eeb5-e935-468e-937e-ea6436173138
  5. How to update outdate drivers and how to find them?

How to update outdate drivers and how to find them?: Yeah, how do you find them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-outdate-drivers-and-how-to-find-them/2d10eeb5-e935-468e-937e-ea6436173138
  6. Error message when trying to join my bedrock realm “could not connect: outdated client!"....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error message when trying to join my bedrock realm “could not connect: outdated client!"....: Whenever trying to join my friend bedrock realm, it keeps saying outdated client. There are no new updates either on the minecraft launcher or on the microsoft app store. Please fix it....
  7. Error message when trying to join my bedrock realm “could not connect: outdated client!"....

Error message when trying to join my bedrock realm “could not connect: outdated client!"....: Whenever trying to join my friend bedrock realm, it keeps saying outdated client. There are no new updates either on the minecraft launcher or on the microsoft app store. Please fix it....
  8. Could not connect: Outdated Client! Realms has updated - Stuck in v1.20.62

Could not connect: Outdated Client! Realms has updated - Stuck in v1.20.62: I'm aware that others have encountered this issue but my Minecraft Bedrock edition is stuck in 1.20.62. I have windows 11 as my OS.I have tried resetting my Microsoft Store cache. I have restarted my laptop as there was an update available and I have uninstalled and...
  9. Removing outdated article that contains wrong information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing outdated article that contains wrong information: It has come to my attention that MSN has republished an article from the Philadelphia inquirer. This article was removed from the inquirer site due to it containing wrong information and I have a court order for its removal. Not sure why MSN republished the article but I need...
  10. Removing outdated article that contains wrong information

Removing outdated article that contains wrong information: It has come to my attention that MSN has republished an article from the Philadelphia inquirer. This article was removed from the inquirer site due to it containing wrong information and I have a court order for its removal. Not sure why MSN republished the article but I need...