Windows 10: Outlook 2016 not showing up as a default program option

Discus and support Outlook 2016 not showing up as a default program option in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Outlook 2016 did not come packaged with my office. I am using a version that I installed separately and it can not be reinstalled as the key code only... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ydono, Aug 21, 2017.

1. ydono Win User

Outlook 2016 not showing up as a default program option

Outlook 2016 did not come packaged with my office. I am using a version that I installed separately and it can not be reinstalled as the key code only works once. I didn't realize that when I first bought it but I am stuck with the situation now.

Fairly often when I click on a link on a website to have something emailed to me, Edge comes up as the way to get the email. I do not have edge set up. I have Outlook 2016 and Windows Live. I use Outlook most of the time. Outlook 2016 does not come up as a default option when I try going through the control panel. I tried Windows LIve but I get an error message. I really don't want to set up edge too. Any solutions? thanks

:)

ydono, Aug 21, 2017
  2. Ted Ryan Win User

Window 10 Update Last Night Killed the Ability to Forward Web Page with Outlook 2016

I have run Office Quick Repair. I have uninstalled Chrome. I have reset Outlook 2016(32 bit) as the Default EMail program. It maintains that setting.

Under CUSTOM - Set program access and computer defaults (not
    Set your default programs) - Outlook 2016 is not listed. "Use My Current EMail Program" is the chosen option

The "Send Page By EMail" option in IE11 still only brings up the "Protected Mode" warning then nothing happens after I click "Allow".

Ted Ryan, Aug 21, 2017
  3. Ted Ryan Win User
    Window 10 Update Last Night Killed the Ability to Forward Web Page with Outlook 2016

Outlook 2016 is the default EMail program.

When I go in "Custom - Set Program Access and Computer Defaults" Outlook 2016 is not explicitly listed as an option under "Choose a default email Program". "Use my current email program" - is an option - so I assume I should stick with that.

The only other option under "Custom" - Choose a default email program" is "IBM Notes" - which is installed on my system but not used for email. If I choose that then IE 11 does start to use IBM Notes when I try to "Send page by email..." When I switch it
    back it back to the way it was I can not longer "Send page by email" with Outlook 2016.

Ted Ryan, Aug 21, 2017
  4. Outlook 2016 not showing up as a default program option

Hi ydono. Welcome to the TenForums @ydono

Defaults are set in Windows 10 through Settings, is this what you are calling Control Panel.

If you haven't entered Settings, Start => Settings => Apps => Default Apps

Mail is the top one, try there.

If that doesn't work scroll to bottom of right hand side and click Set Defaults by app. Find Outlook, click once on it. Then on right click on Set this program as default.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 24, 2017
  5. ydono Win User
    thank you for your reply. However, the problem is that Outlook 2016 is not showing up as an option in any of those places mentioned.

ydono, Aug 25, 2017
  6. It does not even show in the list of apps?

I think something went wrong with install. Could even be a conflict with Windows Live. If you go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, Programs does Outlook show in the list of programs. If you right click are you presented the option to Repair.

Before repair I strongly recommend you Image your system with a tool like Macrium Reflect. If something goes wrong you want a route back. Also create a Restore Point.

As I'm sure you know Live is no longer supported and it sounds like Outlook is in difficulty.

Have you considered using Thunderbird. It would give you some longevity, its free and it works.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Outlook 2016 not showing up as a default program option

1. Outlook 2016 not showing up as a default program option - Similar Threads - Outlook 2016 showing

2. NO OPTION TO SET OUTLOOK AS DEFAULT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NO OPTION TO SET OUTLOOK AS DEFAULT: NO OPTION, LITERALLY, NO OPTION https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-option-to-set-outlook-as-default/aa4fa678-ad83-4f43-8839-a6a38916ed64
  3. NO OPTION TO SET OUTLOOK AS DEFAULT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NO OPTION TO SET OUTLOOK AS DEFAULT: NO OPTION, LITERALLY, NO OPTION https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-option-to-set-outlook-as-default/aa4fa678-ad83-4f43-8839-a6a38916ed64
  4. Outlook showing up twice in default mail app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook showing up twice in default mail app: Hello, I have read many similar responses to this question but none have been the fix for me. I configured a new computer for a user and installed both the latest version of O365 and Adobe Reader on the machine. We ran into a problem where pdf to mail feature in Reader...
  5. What are the default folder names in Outlook 2016?

in Browsers and Email
    What are the default folder names in Outlook 2016?: I'm going insane, and just spent 35 minutes in chat w/MS, to no avail. *Mad I am on a clean install of Win10, with a new install of Office 365 with Outlook. Earlier today, a MS tech remotely set up my 3 Outlook accounts. Then she tried to import merge data from my .pst...
  6. Contacts from People won't show up in Outlook 2016?

in Browsers and Email
    Contacts from People won't show up in Outlook 2016?: Hi, I have been trying to get a friend's contacts back working after his laptop died during the Creators update... He had been using Windows Live Mail and even with an intact hard drive I couldn't find his old contacts. Which is likely because he had NEVER exported them or...
  7. Backing up Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Backing up Outlook 2016: I need to do an uninstall of Office 365 (and then reinstall), due to some problems with Office caused by the Win 10 Creators Upgrade. However, I don't want to lose my contacts or e-mail folders. I know with old Outlook's (e.g. 2003) there was a pst file that had everything in...
  8. Outlook 2016 showing twice in default programs.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016 showing twice in default programs.: I have a user with a fairly new computer running Windows 10 Pro. He has Office 2016 H&B and for whatever reason his outlook shows twice in default programs. I don't know for sure but this seems to be causing several things not to work correctly. This includes the built in...
  9. Outlook 2016 - How to Select Default Folders?

Outlook 2016 - How to Select Default Folders?: Outlook 2016 insists on creating a Trash folder in my IMAP accounts and moving deleted items there. I want to use another folder for deleted items. It was possible to specify the folders to use for Sent and Deleted items in Outlook 2010 but I can't find how to do this in...
  10. Cannot make Outlook 2016 Default Email

Cannot make Outlook 2016 Default Email: I cannot make Outlook 2016 default email client. I try tru the setting...default and it looks like it is the default. Then I get an error window that says there is no email default and I should set it up in Outlook 2016. When I try it takes me back to settings...default. I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. outlook is not showing up in default program