Windows 10: Outlook 2016 opening URL links

Discus and support Outlook 2016 opening URL links in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Dear fellow members I hope you can help with an issue that I am facing at my work. I work in the IT department and all of the users are facing an... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by FXG, Jan 14, 2018.

1. FXG
    FXG Win User

Outlook 2016 opening URL links

Dear fellow members

I hope you can help with an issue that I am facing at my work. I work in the IT department and all of the users are facing an annoying issue within the office applications specifically Outlook 2016. Whenever someone receives a mail with a URL link usually the first time there is a popup box that asks you which browser you wish to open the link with. Since we use Chrome we choose that and check the remember the action. Unfortunately this doesn't help and the pop appears again next time we open an URL. I have also set the default browser to be chrome under default apps. Yet doesn't do the trick. Inside control panel you can choose default apps according protocols and I have set http and https to be opened with chrome and again it does not do the trick. I have searched the internet for solutions but not much appears though one thing appears which involves editing a string ind regedit but that is mainly for internet explorer yet it didn't do the trick for IE11. I am out of options and need assistance which is much appreciated. Anyone ever experienced this issue?

:)

2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 14, 2018
  3. Outlook as default mail program, not recognized by windows shell?

The first link provided a solution that worked for me.

In case the link goes down in the future, I've copied the steps that helped me here.

Open .msg file with the following steps below and verify the result.

• Right click on the .msg file.Click
      open with>More apps>Look for another app on this PC.
    • Browse to following location.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16. or C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16.

3. Select Outlook.exe.

4. Check the box ‘Always use the selected program to open this kind of file’.

5. Click Ok.

LokSSoeder, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Try3 Win User

I have only ever noticed people reporting this for Outlook 2007 / 2010 - for which there is a recognised solution. I suggest searching around the Office online guidance [Microsoft Office help and training - Office Support and https://support.office.com/en-us/Sea...r+outlook+2016] to find an Outlook 2016 version of this -

You are prompted to specify Internet Explorer when you click a link in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2007 - KB3094186

If you were to try to use the 2007/2010 solution, I would expect you to be able to substitute Chrome for IE in the line "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1 [para 6] but it would probably be simpler to use rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler %1 so that all you had to worry about checking was that Chrome was behaving correctly as the default browser.

Best of luck,
    Denis

Thema:

1. Outlook 2016 opening URL links - Similar Threads - Outlook 2016 opening

2. Link to Windows Not Opening URLs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Link to Windows Not Opening URLs: I have the link set up and are receiving notifications on my PC. I recently had to switch to a new messaging/SMS app and everything worked. When I switched back, the notifications/texts on my PC when there are URL's do nothing. No link in the text messages on my PC work. I...
  3. Link to Windows Not Opening URLs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Link to Windows Not Opening URLs: I have the link set up and are receiving notifications on my PC. I recently had to switch to a new messaging/SMS app and everything worked. When I switched back, the notifications/texts on my PC when there are URL's do nothing. No link in the text messages on my PC work. I...
  4. Outlook 2016

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlook 2016: Sorry re posted in office 137379
  5. Immediate crash Opening Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Immediate crash Opening Outlook 2016: When starting Outlook 2016, a User Account Control dialog comes up asking for permission to "allow this app to make changes". Clicking OK, causes an immediate crash to desktop and "Outlook has stopped working" message. Starting a second time brings up a dialog "do you want...
  6. Microsoft Outlook blocks access to URL links

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Outlook blocks access to URL links: Hi, I wondered if anyone can assist me in resolving an issue that when an email is sent to me with a URL as a link to a webpage Outlook will not allow me to open that link. I keep getting an error report stating: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions...
  7. Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016: Address book missing from recent upgrade. Attempting to send email I click "TO:" and no address book is showing my list of contacts. Recently transferred from old pc to new pc using WD Passport. Though Passport would transfer all files and data. Cannot locate the Outlook 2016...
  8. Links not opening on clicking on URLs in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Links not opening on clicking on URLs in Windows 10: I have been trying to open the following link but it freezes after opening a new window. Can any one help? DepositFiles Thanks 20875
  9. HTML links in Outlook (office) 2016 taking a long time to open.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    HTML links in Outlook (office) 2016 taking a long time to open.: Clean install of Windows 10 Pro, 1709, 16299.98. And fresh install of Office 2016. Ran Windows update with give me updates for other Microsoft products checked. This the full office 20160 Pro Plus, not office 365. If I click a link in an e-mail, like the ones for forum post...
  10. Linking Outlook 2016 with Office 365

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Linking Outlook 2016 with Office 365: I have been running Exchange server 2010 on our network and recently subscribed to Office 365 online. I can access email ok on line through the Office 365 portal but cannot get Outlook 2016 on my PC to link with the online mail. Outlook 2016 on my PC (Windows 10, 64 bit...