Windows 10: Outlook 2016 search works only on main ost (IMAP connection)

Discus and support Outlook 2016 search works only on main ost (IMAP connection) in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi, I've been struggling to get the search on Outlook 2016 fully functional. After unchecking and checking Outlook 2016 from Indexing Options and... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by lethargos, Mar 22, 2017.

1. lethargos Win User

Outlook 2016 search works only on main ost (IMAP connection)

Hi,

I've been struggling to get the search on Outlook 2016 fully functional. After unchecking and checking Outlook 2016 from Indexing Options and checking "Allow this file to have contents indexed" for the main .ost and each .pst, I was able to get the search working for the .ost (which is rather big). It took 2-3 hours to index more than 100k items.

But when I select a pst file (an archive) and start searching, Outlook almost immediately says "no result", regardless of the number of e-mails shown in that particular folder. Even if it's only one e-mail and I try to search it, it shows "no result".

I'm rather stuck. I've searched A LOT on the internet in the last couple of days and I don't understand why windows is acting up like that.

On a different note (or maybe not), the taskbar search (cortana) never worked for domain users when I searched options within the Control Panel or within Settings (there were a few exceptions). In order to fix this, I copied a folder called windows.immersion.some_string in the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages and I overwrote the one belonging to the domain user that I was having the problem with. After a reboot it worked just fine. I'm not sure if this is related to the whole outlook indexing problem, but this seemed the only solution that could solve immediately this problem.

Any suggestions?

:)

lethargos, Mar 22, 2017

2. How do I migrate a Windows 10 user profile to another new Windows 10 PC?

Hi

You should not attempt to migrate Ost files.

Outlook OST files are Exchange account cache files and cannot be migrated. Only PST files that are storing Pop3/IMAP mails.

However as USMT/USMTGUI/WET migrates the Outlook SETTINGS (accounts etc) the Exchange Cache file is recreated from the mailserver at first start of Outlook.

Thoma_sehler, Mar 22, 2017
  3. DominicP Win User
    Sync people with outlook contacts

I am not familiar with Google Apps for Business but understand that it keeps contacts in separate folders.

Outlook and Outlook.com have a single contact list but each entry can be assigned one or more Categories (Groups in Outlook.com). Outlook Categories and Outlook.com Groups will synchronise but the Group names need to be created in Outlook.com.

With Outlook.com and Google (and IMAP mail) the data is in the cloud and Outlook works with a local copy: an ost file stored at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. If this is damaged, you can close Outlook, delete the ost and Outlook will
    re-download the data next time it opens and recreate the ost file.

An Outlook pst is stored on your system and you have to ensure its preservation. Asking Outlook to move data between a pst and a cloud store will only work if the Outlook interface with the cloud allows it. Changes in Outlook's local copy of cloud data are
    synchronised at short intervals and can be forced at any time with Send/Receive All Folders (F9 is the shortcut).

You can work with cloud sources and copy or move cloud data to a local pst if you want.

You can run Outlook.com and Google in parallel before you decide which to prefer.

While Outlook 2010 will work with the cloud newer versions of Outlook are better integrated. You could try the

Outlook 2016 Preview

DominicP, Mar 22, 2017
Thema:

Outlook 2016 search works only on main ost (IMAP connection)

1. Outlook 2016 search works only on main ost (IMAP connection) - Similar Threads - Outlook 2016 search

2. Cannot connect outlook to IMAP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot connect outlook to IMAP: Hello,I am running our of options. I cannot add a new email account to Outlook IMAPI asked the hosting company. We have run multiple tests together. They do not know what the issue is.I tried everything disabling add-ins, changing passwords, disabling firewalls etc..Do you...
  3. Outlook error (can't connect to IMAP server)??

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook error (can't connect to IMAP server)??: All of a sudden my Outlook email stopped working. I have a subscription to Microsoft 365 so that's the version of Outlook I am using. 1. At first the error I got was 0X800CCC1A, something about not being able to connect to the IMAP server. 2. I went to my Outlook Data File...
  4. Outlook error (can't connect to IMAP server)??

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlook error (can't connect to IMAP server)??: All of a sudden my Outlook email stopped working. I have a subscription to Microsoft 365 so that's the version of Outlook I am using. 1. At first the error I got was 0X800CCC1A, something about not being able to connect to the IMAP server. 2. I went to my Outlook Data File...
  5. Outlook 2016/2019 -- search broken

Outlook 2016/2019 -- search broken: Hi folks any ideas how to fix the search function in Ms office Outlook -- seems to have gone a bit bonkers after the latest Windows (not Office) updates -- works fine if i restore to windows before last update -- (latest build) repair office and re-build indexes doen't fix...
  6. Search in Outlook 2016 and 2019

in Cortana
    Search in Outlook 2016 and 2019: A long time searching in Outlook when connected to an Exchange server in cached mode has been an issue. Search result does not return all, if any results. We know about rebuilding search database, but the issue happens very frequently, so we have had to disable cached mode in...
  7. Office 2016/2019 defect in Outlook and IMAP

Office 2016/2019 defect in Outlook and IMAP: Hi folks If I use OUTLOOK 2016/2019 to SEND email on IMAP server the SENT mail is visible only on the machine I sent it from . INBOX Mail is OK on all machines Now if I log on to the Mail servers web application all the sent mail is visible. Outlook 2010 works correctly...
  8. Outlook 2016 / 365 IMAP query on empty trash folder

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 / 365 IMAP query on empty trash folder: Hi folks I have 3 different machines currently with outlook 2016 -- mail is set up as IMAP Send / receive from any machine is visible on all the other ones (that's correct) and on mobile phone. However if I delete emails they get moved (correctly) to the trash folder....
  9. Bug Outlook 2016 / 365 IMAP - missing mail in Inbox - Fixed

in Browsers and Email
    Bug Outlook 2016 / 365 IMAP - missing mail in Inbox - Fixed: Hi folks sometimes you get when using IMAP missing mail on some accounts in the Inbox if you have several accounts in Outlook 2016/365. The mail can be seen in the Inbox on other devices say phones etc. Bug doesn't appear I'm told on GMAIL but can when you use ISP mail...
  10. Outlook 2016 IMAP persists in failing to connect with Gmail

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 IMAP persists in failing to connect with Gmail: I have a Gmail account. I keep failing for a month now (except for a fleeting few days) to connect Outlook 2016 via IMAP to Gmail. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 2 two months ago. I had Office 2007. POP email kept working fine. However, a month ago, the perplexing...