Windows 10: Outlook 2016 using lots of resources

Discus and support Outlook 2016 using lots of resources in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have a Dell Alien that was on Win 7 Pro 64bit. I upgraded a couple of weeks ago to Win 10 Pro 64bit. I have what I think MS calls Office 365. The... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by pitman44, Feb 10, 2016.

1. pitman44 Win User

Outlook 2016 using lots of resources

I have a Dell Alien that was on Win 7 Pro 64bit. I upgraded a couple of weeks ago to Win 10 Pro 64bit. I have what I think MS calls Office 365. The subscription model that lets you run Office on multiple machines. Last weekend I upgraded from Office 2013 to 2016. I primarily use Excel, Outlook and Word. No apparent problem with either Excel or Word.

The problems with Outlook start as soon as I boot it. Typically I see the working display a few times a day for a second or two. Once Outlook is up and I'm in it, the working display is up about 50-75% of the time. When I bring up task manager Windows Problem Reporting is active and taking 10-15% cpu. System and Compressed memory goes from usually under 100MB to 1500MP within two minutes. Within a few more minutes it's around 4000MB. Bandwidth usage is very high when Outlook is up. Both sending and receiving. I have no problems with Outlook in safe mode.

When I shut Outlook down, the high bandwidth usage goes away. Windows Problem Reporting apparently terminates. CPU usage drops to a more normal range. System and Compressed Memory stays pretty much where it was before I ended Outlook

I've disabled all of the addins in Outlook. Made sure the drivers are up to date on my system. Not sure what to do from here and would surely appreciate some guidance.

:)

pitman44, Feb 10, 2016

2. A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10

A lot of the functionality in the Office shortcut bar has been integrated in new versions which you can access when you pin apps like Outlook 2016 to the Taskbar.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 10, 2016
  3. My Outlook 2003 virtually unusable since MS installed Windows 10 recently overnight. OUtlook hangs up, grays out cirlce spins around most of the time. What can be done to have a functioning Outlook?

Office 2003 and Outlook 2003 are not certified compatible with Windows 10.

You will need to upgrade to a more recent version of Outlook such as Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016.

Which versions of Microsoft Office work on Windows 10?

The following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:

• Office 2016 Preview
    • Office 2013/Office 365
    • Office 2010 with exception Office Starter 2010
    • Office 2007
    Older versions of Office such as Office 2000, Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work using compatibility mode.

Resources: A
    look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Feb 10, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi pitman44 and welcome to Tenforums.
    I would say try a repair to Office - right-click Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features, wait for the installed programs list to populate, then highlight Office and select Repair from above the window. You should get two repair options, a local one, and an online one. The local one is quick, and may do nothing. The online one is almost like a complete new install and will require you to sign-in to reactivate.

You say you've got all add-ins disabled - that would have been my next guess. But the bandwidth issue is really odd/suspect. What happens with the bandwidth if you select "Work Offline"? I would run a Malwarebytes Antimalware Free (full) scan to see if anything comes up, just to be sure. I would also view the Reliability History (search in Cortana/search box), and see if any clues are found there.

That's about all I can think of ATM. Hope it helps.

simrick, Feb 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Outlook 2016 using lots of resources - Similar Threads - Outlook 2016 using

2. Lots of resources being used

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lots of resources being used: I have up to 45% of my CPU and 70-85% of my RAM in use (I have 8 GB) just by doing low end tasks. Looking in task manager, I know for a fact that ~6GB of RAM is not being used by Discord and Chrome. Windows should barely use any of that. I've been suspicious of bloatware...
  3. Outlook 2016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook 2016: I just downloaded Office 2016. I am trying to go to the Outlook Page so I can set up the email. Cannot get unto outlook at all. After hitting outlook page it shows it asks to input my email etc. I am at my witts end for the last two days trying to remedy this. Any help...
  4. Browser Using Lots of Resources

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser Using Lots of Resources: Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was introduced to computers and then the Internet. Not long after that I found out about "cookies" and how they interacted with your browser. The more I studied this the more I saw what an advertiser's dream this must be, even though it...
  5. outlook 2016

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    outlook 2016: all started with send receive error and now after trying to follow instruction nothing works anymore and cant even access old emails, would like to talk with someone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-2016/472af38c-67c2-49bb-b2b8-3a3d053804ee
  6. Outlook 2016

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlook 2016: Sorry re posted in office 137379
  7. Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016: I was given a copy of Outlook 2016 since I could not get my old Outlook 2003 to work on Windows 10. The way it works is really confusing at the moment. Does anyone know of good tutorials to help in learning process? One thing I would like to know right NOW is how to get...
  8. Outlook 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook 2016: I just recently tried to create a new e-mail account. I was unable to do so since the usual screens to input the new e-mail address, incoming and and outgoing server information where not available. This all because of damage caused by the last Win. 10 update ver. 1809. I...
  9. Outlook 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016: This is probably more a Gmail settings question then an Outlook question but here goes. I use Outlook 2016 since it's release with 6 live, outlook accounts and 1 gmail account for years and years. I received an email from Google stating that my gmail account security...
  10. Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016: Address book missing from recent upgrade. Attempting to send email I click "TO:" and no address book is showing my list of contacts. Recently transferred from old pc to new pc using WD Passport. Though Passport would transfer all files and data. Cannot locate the Outlook 2016...