Windows 10: Outlook 365 automatically adds icon into Quick Launch on boot

Discus and support Outlook 365 automatically adds icon into Quick Launch on boot in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10, fully up-to-date. Whenever I start my computer, Windows adds an icon for Outlook into my Quick Launch area. Every day I... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by scootmien, Dec 20, 2017.

1. scootmien Win User

Outlook 365 automatically adds icon into Quick Launch on boot

I am running Windows 10, fully up-to-date.

Whenever I start my computer, Windows adds an icon for Outlook into my Quick Launch area. Every day I delete it yet Windows adds it back in the next day,

I have heard that marking it as hidden can solve this but that has not helped me.

Admittedly it is only the work of moments to delete the icon but because I have to do this every day, it's getting old and I just want it gone permanently from my Quick launch bar.

Can anyone help please?

:)

scootmien, Dec 20, 2017
  2. Wayne_925 Win User

Icon problem in Win 10 Quick Start on Task Bar

Hi Ratandeep,

I did not apply your fix because I accidentally discovered a solution to this problem that was much simpler, and I'm embarrassed that I had not discovered it before posting my question. The recognizable icons appear after I launch the program from Quick
    Start using the generic icon. After launching the software the icon morphs into their recognizable, and hence useful form. So each time I add a new software link to the Quick Launch menu I need to open the application and close it in order create the correct
    icon.

Wayne_925, Dec 20, 2017
  3. Wayne_925 Win User
    Icon problem in Win 10 Quick Start on Task Bar

When I add icons to the Quick Start area of the Windows 10 taskbar they show up as identical, simple generic rectangles rather than useful & distinct icon pictures. I've restarted but the problem remains. The icons appear normal in the main taskbar launch
    area. How do I make them display as useful icons in Quick Start?

Wayne_925, Dec 20, 2017
  4. essenbe Win User

Welcome to tenforums. Try this and see if it helps.

Go to Task Manager and look in the startup tab. See if Outlook is set to start with Windows. If it is, highlight it and click disable. Restart Windows and see if the icon comes back.

essenbe, Dec 20, 2017
  5. scootmien Win User
    Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, Outlook is not set to start with Windows.

scootmien, Dec 20, 2017
  6. Wynona Win User
    Almost the same here, Scootmien. I keep Outlook on my Quick Launch Bar and really don't need one link, but every day, I get a second icon in the QL Bar. I delete it, but it keeps coming back. I tried to figure out a way to have Outlook open with Startup, but so far, no success.

Wynona, Dec 20, 2017
  7. essenbe Win User
    @Hide or Show Notification Area Icons on Taskbar in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    That is option 3. If it doesn't work, maybe one of the other options will.

@Wynona, if you want Outlook to run at startup, have you tried creating an Outlook shortcut on your Desktop. Then go to
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp copy the icon from your desktop into that folder.

You can then delete the Desktop shortcut and Outlook should appear in your Task Manager Startup tab and be enabled. It should start with Windows.

Wynona, see if it will work the same as it does with Windows Live Mail.

[youtube]wd-XQx8BCw4[/youtube]

essenbe, Dec 21, 2017
  8. scootmien Win User

Hi there

This seems to be just for the Notification area, so I don't think it will help in my case as I am talking about the Quick launch bar, not the notification area. My apologies for not being clear on that. Thanks for helping though, hopefully together will get top the bottom of this.

scootmien, Dec 21, 2017
  9. essenbe Win User
    Have you tried to right click the icon in the quick launch and select delete?

essenbe, Dec 21, 2017
  10. Wynona Win User
    Thanks, Steve, I now have Outlook in my Startup file; however, that's gonna add a lot of time to bootup. Which is OK, since I'm going to clean install 17063 tomorrow.

For some odd reason, OL is very, very slow to start.

Wynona, Dec 21, 2017
  11. scootmien Win User
    Yes, as I said in my initial post, every day I delete the icon but it still comes back upon reboot. That's basically my whole problem.

scootmien, Dec 21, 2017
  12. davehc Win User
    Have you tried Settings - Personalisation - Taskbar:
    Scroll down to "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"
    Switch off Outlook

davehc, Dec 21, 2017
  13. scootmien Win User

Hi, thanks for responding.

Going to "Select Which Icons appear on the taskbar" show that I have nothing ticked to show, as I intended. Outlook has always been turned off there.

But then this should not impact the Quick Launch area, should it? This is for the notification area.

scootmien, Dec 21, 2017
  14. davehc Win User
    Experimenting, You are probably correct.
    Presumably you have tried the more basic method of right clicking the "Outlook" icon in the menu -more - Unpin from taskbar?

davehc, Dec 21, 2017
  15. essenbe Win User
    Do you use the Quick Launch toolbar? Have you considered removing it all together? A last resort option is disable it from appearing at all and create your own "Quick Launch" toolbar.

essenbe, Dec 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Outlook 365 automatically adds icon into Quick Launch on boot - Similar Threads - Outlook 365 automatically

2. Quick launch icons randomly disappear.

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick launch icons randomly disappear.: So this only happened recently, and only about four times (within say two months), and it seems random, but some of my quick launch icons by my clock just randomly disappear. I can't figure out why. Like they will all be there like the picture below, but then one day Dropbox...
  3. Quick Launch icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick Launch icons?: How do I Change the icon size on the Quick Launch list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-launch-icons/a1bd1b0d-244e-41c7-912a-e8a797fbad1d
  4. Quick Launch Toolbar Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick Launch Toolbar Icons: The icons in my Quick Launch toolbar seem to change sizes after reboot ... and sometimes even without a reboot. Sometimes they're the same height at the regular toolbar, and sometimes they're smaller. When smaller they're really too small and make the Quick Launch toolbar...
  5. Size of Quick Launch icons changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Size of Quick Launch icons changed: Hello all, I have a very populated Quick Launch area with the icons set to small on my work computer. Today I found that the icons in the QL changed in size; previously I had the task bar two lines high and two lines of icons fit in the area. If I want to fit two lines of...
  6. Outlook 365 Add-ins

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 365 Add-ins: I use Outlook for my e-mail and it is set up to handle three e-mail addresses that I have. I notice that the Outlook add-ins are only available if I use my Microsoft e-mail address. *Sad Anyone know how to get them to work with non-Microsoft e-mail addresses? 107274
  7. How to Toggle an Outlook Mail Icon on Quick Launch

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to Toggle an Outlook Mail Icon on Quick Launch: I have placed an icon controlling the Outlook Mail application on the Quick Launch Toolbar. By Outlook mail I mean the W10 app that interfaces with Outlook.com (not the original Outlook). My problem is that I want to toggle this icon so that it will turn on Outlook and then...
  8. MSOffice 2016-Outlook icon back to Quick Launch Toolbar on every boot

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MSOffice 2016-Outlook icon back to Quick Launch Toolbar on every boot: Grrr! In the past, every windows update for outlook would return the icon to quick launch. I could delete it and that would be it for a long while. Since a recent update though, it seems MS is returning that icon to QL on every boot. Tired of repeatedly deleting it. Is...
  9. quick launch: how to reorder icons

in Windows 10 Support
    quick launch: how to reorder icons: I have installed Quick Launch on my Windows 10 task bar. It works ! However, I would like to reorder the icons in a way that makes sense to me. The only reordering I have been able to discover so far is to move an icon to the end of the list. Is there a way to directly...
  10. Customise size of Quick Launch icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Customise size of Quick Launch icons: I have a Quick Launch bar on the left-hand side of my taskbar. If I select 'Small icons', the icons are incredibly small, and it is difficult to hit a specific one quickly. [img] If I select 'Large icons' then they are incredibly large, to the point that they...