Windows 10: Outlook 365 w/ Windows 10 Pro crashes; repair and reinstall don't fix

Discus and support Outlook 365 w/ Windows 10 Pro crashes; repair and reinstall don't fix in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Outlook 365 became unstable a few days ago and now is completely whacked. Our 365 subscription is in my name, but I share it with my wife and Outlook... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by rprescot, Mar 20, 2017.

1. rprescot Win User

Outlook 365 w/ Windows 10 Pro crashes; repair and reinstall don't fix

Outlook 365 became unstable a few days ago and now is completely whacked. Our 365 subscription is in my name, but I share it with my wife and Outlook 365 usually runs on her Dell machine under her Microsoft account.

1. When run under her account, it either crashes right after opening, asking me to send the error report, or tells me "There was a problem checking this device's license status, please sign in ..." and then crashes, or tells me I'm missing a dll file (the file name changes from instance to instance, I think) and then crashes, or some combination of the above. But it always crashes.

2. When I try to open it under my Microsoft account on her Dell, I get a different error message, and then it crashes. It tells me there's a problem and Microsoft will tell me when there's a fix. (I'm paraphrasing.)

2. I tried "Change" and ran the "Quick Fix", but it didn't help. Then I ran "Online Repair"; it said it was installing the 365 suite but hung up and never completed. I tried this several times.

3. Then I uninstalled 365 and reinstalled it. The uninstall and install went smoothly. But even this didn't fix the problem.

The other Office 365 programs are running fine and there are no apparent problems anywhere else.

The last update on the machine is "Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)" on March 16. The OS is Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Rick

:)

rprescot, Mar 20, 2017

2. How do I repair files in Windows 10 Pro x64?

Some apps don't start and some folders in file explorer crash when you try to open them. Is there a way to repair or reinstall Windows 10 Pro x64 without doing a clean install?

Bubblehead1955, Mar 20, 2017
  3. Question : Clean Install of windows 10 on laptop with Office apps preinstalled

Yes, you can, as long as you have your product key for Office 2016.

Which edition of Office 2016 is it or is it Office 365?

If its Office 365 Pro Plus, you can reinstall from the Office portal.

If its another edition, you can reinstall using the following instructions:

Download and install or reinstall Office 365 or Office 2016 on
    a PC or ...

You might want to consider performing a repair upgrade to see if it resolves your issue instead of performing a clean install:

How
    to: perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file

Andre Da Costa, Mar 20, 2017
  4. Outlook 365 w/ Windows 10 Pro crashes; repair and reinstall don't fix

Hi Rick.

Just trying to sort through this. Lets see if I have this right. You lease / rent Office 365. You have two users on one computer, wife and you.

When you start Outlook 2016 (part of current Office 365), when signed in with wife's id (using a Microsoft Id rather than a local account ) the program starts and immediately crashes. It is the mail program that crashes, Word, excel and Powerpoint work fine.

Correct?

First you could try staring in safe mode and some of the items here

Outlook not responding, stuck at "Processing," stopped working, freezes, or hangs - Outlook

Then another article with a tool ( worth a shot )

Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in Outlook for Windows - Outlook

and finally starting with a new profile

Create an Outlook profile - Outlook

Not sure how you have outlook set up and who you use for mail. I mention this as you may be into some recovery of mail (pst files) or contacts. I use with outlook.com so contacts, task, calendars are in cloud and sync when I setup account.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 21, 2017
  5. rprescot Win User
    Thanks, Ken.

You are "correct" in my description of the situation. My wife's Outlook "imaps" to Gmail. She has some pst file-based mail folders too, but I don't think they're the problem. I'll check your suggested links and get back.

rprescot, Mar 21, 2017
  6. rprescot Win User
    rprescot, Mar 22, 2017
  7. Cool. There should be a better way to fix Outlook than creating new profiles. Basically you are starting fresh. Thankfully IMAP and EAS take care of most of the mail. I also use Thunderbird and it is dead simple to copy your profile out and when in doubt restoring it.

Thanks for posting solution.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Outlook 365 w/ Windows 10 Pro crashes; repair and reinstall don't fix

1. Outlook 365 w/ Windows 10 Pro crashes; repair and reinstall don't fix - Similar Threads - Outlook 365 Pro

2. Office 365 / Outlook Metered Connection Fix - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 365 / Outlook Metered Connection Fix - Windows 10: To anyone having an issue with Metered Connection on Windows 10, you need to open your Available WiFi Networks section bottom right in your taskbar, the WiFi icon. Then right click on your current network, click "Properties"Then scroll down and turn off "Set as metered...
  3. Office 365 / Outlook Metered Connection Fix - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 365 / Outlook Metered Connection Fix - Windows 10: To anyone having an issue with Metered Connection on Windows 10, you need to open your Available WiFi Networks section bottom right in your taskbar, the WiFi icon. Then right click on your current network, click "Properties"Then scroll down and turn off "Set as metered...
  4. Unable to find Outlook 365 after Reinstallation of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to find Outlook 365 after Reinstallation of Windows 10: Hi,I have Surface Laptop 2 and recently I have reinstalled Windows 10 on my machine. After reinstallation I cannot find the outlook365 which was preinstalled on my surface 2 when I bought it. Kindly guide how to recover it.Thanks,Najma...
  5. Unable to find Outlook 365 after Reinstallation of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to find Outlook 365 after Reinstallation of Windows 10: Hi,I have Surface Laptop 2 and recently I have reinstalled Windows 10 on my machine. After reinstallation I cannot find the outlook365 which was preinstalled on my surface 2 when I bought it. Kindly guide how to recover it.Thanks,Najma...
  6. Unable to find Outlook 365 after Reinstallation of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Outlook 365 - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Outlook 365 - Windows 10: Incoming emails for one of my accounts do not go into the Inbox. Instead, they're diverted to Archive. To retrieve them, I have to create an Archive folder then wait for the emails to sync. At the same time this started, I lost the sub-folders to this email account....
  8. Windows 10, Build 1803 outlook 365 crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10, Build 1803 outlook 365 crashes: I know it has been a while but I am to believe that the Symantec plugin crashes because of a missed Patch. this patch is required prior to installing the fix "outlook2016-kb4011570.exe" Installing the "outlook2016-kb4011570.exe" without this patch results in the failure and...
  9. Windows 10 and Outlook 365

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 and Outlook 365: Hi everybody. I am a bit ancient (72), so not so clever on IT.... I am running Windows 10 and Office 365. I somehow had two Outlooks running at the same time, so I un-pinned them. Now now Outlook! how to get it back please, in simple words so I can follow please.....
  10. Outlook 2016/365 Crashing

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016/365 Crashing: I have been a long time user of MS Office from 2003, through 2007 to 2010. Recently I decided to take up the subscription for 2016/365 Home with the intention of installing on my desktop PC and laptop plus my wife's laptop (all running W10x64 Home). Having installed 2016/365...