Windows 10: Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors

Discus and support Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I'm getting two similar error messages when I try to open both Outlook and Word.... (Outlook / Word) could not create the work file. Check the temp... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Photoman, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Photoman Win User

Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors

I'm getting two similar error messages when I try to open both Outlook and Word....

(Outlook / Word) could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable.

Outlook is not opening at all, and Word will open at the second or third "OK" click on the error message.

I've spent the last 24 hours editing the registry, for both programs based on advice found online, but nothing has worked.

I'm using the Office 2013 versions of both programs (version 15 Outlook). Could someone offer me any suggestions as to how the registry should look for both programs please, as this is preventing em from working (I'm self employed and use both programs all the time).

I saw that there's a workaround using IE, but it's not on my computer (only Edge). This keeps crashing when I try to open it, and I can't seem to get a download of IE, as Microsoft assume I have it already.

I tried a system restore several times but for some reason it won't work - I was even so desperate to fix it. I tried resetting the OS, but this also failed (I have no idea why).

Add this to the problems of saving files in Word caused by Windows 10, and I have to say that for me, it wasn't a good choice to upgrade.

Any help on this would be very welcome.

Stephen

:)

Photoman, Sep 18, 2015

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Sep 18, 2015
  3. Microsoft Office files cannot properly preview in file explorer

Check this link related to "This file cannot be previewed" error: Click
    here.

Then check this link for "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable." Click
    here.

c23abad5-7aae-4d2e-8430-67ffdc19cdd2, Sep 18, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Sorry I won't be a lot of help but, at least, I can tell you you DO have Internet Explorer. Left click the windows or search icon bottom left corner and type internet explorer. The program link appears so rt click and then click pin to taskbar.

But there really does seem to be corruption somewhere as your problems would certainly not be typical.

Tell us about your computer and how you did the upgrade (or downgrade in your case!). How do you log in? Local or MS login?

I would also run chkdsk.exe on your drive so its file structure can be checked/corrected. To do this rt click the windows icon then left click 'Command prompt(admin'. A black box will pop up. Type chkdsk c: /f then hit enter. Next respond with a y for yes then restart your comp. On boot it should do the disk check.

Hopefully others may chime in but if it is a permissions problem, as this appears to be, it may be tricky to solve as who knows what else is wrong?

Good luck.

5. Photoman Win User
    Thank you for your helpful reply and my apologies for not coming back sooner. I have spent the last 48 hours doing noting much other than bang my head against the monitor in an outpouring of frustration and regret at my stupidity in installing Windows 10.

As well as the issues mentioned above, I could not search in Windows 10 (it just didn;t work) so I couldn't find IE. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite 775 with 1TB of hard drive and GB of RAM, Windows 10 64 bit. I have it plugged into a LG 24 inch monitor. I log in with with my MS profile.

I did a chkdsk (no issues). I eventually had the brain-wave of trying a new user account, as I was sure that your suggestion of it being a permissions issue was right.

That worked. Outlook opened with no problems, Word likewise. Search started working and Edge opened up and stayed open.

It took me several hours to copy over my Word files and to create the Outlook account for my email (it refused to accept my password at least 8 times).

A couple of hours ago I went back to my old account to try it one more time, as it was getting difficult to transfer all of my 16000 stored photographs and Lightroom and Photoshop were starting up as "new" software.

Guess what? Everything was working as normal. Outlook opened, Word opened, and there are no issues with anything at all. All files save perfectly, which wasn't the case previously.

I have no idea how that happened. But I'm sure of one thing...it's ruined my weekend and that of my partner and if I could easily transfer my files to an iMac, I'd buy one tomorrow! *Smile

Photoman, Sep 19, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    Wow, that is crazy. Hard to see how the original account came right. Needs cleverer people than us to figure that out!!

Anyway, good to hear you are going again and hope all is well from hereon in.

Cheers.

linw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors - Similar Threads - Outlook Word create

2. Sudden reboot, could not create dump file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden reboot, could not create dump file: Happened out of the blue, dump file was not created. Any help appreciated.Also Merry Xmas and happy holidays to anyone reading https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-reboot-could-not-create-dump-file/6021a717-682d-4c77-ad4d-bf5e1824cf76
  3. Outlook & Word 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook & Word 2016: The last week or there abouts when I receive an email message in outlook it seems to play the default sound rather than the one I’ve assigned. The sounds ‘Desktop mail notification’ and ‘New Mail Notification’ were set back to default in control panel – sounds. So, I set them...
  4. Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2007 preview pane "Word could not create the work file. Check...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2007 preview pane "Word could not create the work file. Check...: I purchased a brand new computer with Windows 10 on it. I installed my Microsoft Office 2007 on it with no problem. Everything worked fine. Then a new update for Windows 10 downloaded on my computer and now all of a sudden when I am in my file folder with preview pane on,...
  5. "Word could not create the work file" error

"Word could not create the work file" error: I asked this question recently, but I've pinpointed the action that causes it, so I'm reposting it in the Windows area. When I have the Preview pane open in the file explorer, I get a dialog with "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable"....
  6. Word and outlook are gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Word and outlook are gone: I recently got an error when trying to start up outlook. Someone on a thread told me to reinstall it. So I uninstalled it. When I looked for the download on the windows website it said to install office so I did that. I can access the apps on the office app, but I cant search...
  7. conversion of Outlook files to Word

conversion of Outlook files to Word: I have been sent some documents with a .msg suffix. Word will not open them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/conversion-of-outlook-files-to-word/c00b42f5-7a36-4a73-a7fd-752023a87dd5"
  8. Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook: Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the outlook ... there are important emails. made by the archive outlook 2007 .pst, copied to a USB flash drive. Then reset the system, set the same office 2007. Now I want to recover the mail data (they are very important) ......
  9. Creating Personal Files in Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Creating Personal Files in Outlook: I am using Wiindows 10 pro and have just done a new clean install. I am also using Microsoft Outlook 2010 and am wondering if I can create some personal folders so that I can save the emails that I want to keep. When I try to create an Outlook Data File the process...
  10. FCU broke Outlook and Word, what worked

in Microsoft Office and 365
    FCU broke Outlook and Word, what worked: The problem: After Fall Creator's Update , Outlook and Word would start to open, then display "Outlook [or Word] has stopped working" dialog box The cause: Outdated nVidia drivers What worked: 1. (Temporary) Renaming c:/Program Files/NVIDIA Corporation/nview/nViewH64.dll...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix word could not create the work file.check the temp environment variable.

2. word could not create the work file

3. could not search for the user name while shairng file from word application