Windows 10: Outlook Mail app corrupted?

Discus and support Outlook Mail app corrupted? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; My Outlook Mail has not downloaded any mails for over 30 days. A notification repeatedly says its settings need updating (password?) and to click Fix.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by clayto, Apr 10, 2017.

1. clayto Win User

Outlook Mail app corrupted?

My Outlook Mail has not downloaded any mails for over 30 days. A notification repeatedly says its settings need updating (password?) and to click Fix. Fix does not work. I have checked all I can, including the password which is correct and works. Fortunately I can keep track of incoming mails with Thunderbird and even with Outlook Mail online, showing that there is a fault in my desktop app. However, I cannot re-install the app because downloading from the Store is kaput at present. I have found an article on this 'new and not uncommon problem', but it offers a host of 'fixes', too many and too complex for me.

Any suggestions?

:)

clayto, Apr 10, 2017
  2. Brettshar Win User

How to link Windows 10 Photo App with Outlook ?

Hi Maria, there is no app in the store named "Outlook".

Also, I already have Outlook installed.

Please do not confuse the 2 programs - "Mail or Mail & Calendar" and "Outlook".

Mail & Calendar is the std program installed with Windows 10, whereas Outlook is the supposedly premium Microsoft Mail Client.

Brettshar, Apr 10, 2017
  3. mlg63 Win User
    How Do I Delete Windows Mail

And open MS Outlook 2016 on the desktop just like before instead of using the Mail App. Don't use the Mail App with Office Outlook 2016. The Mail App is better used for free web mail like Hotmail--now called Outlook.com, Yahoo, etc.

Outlook.com is not related to Office's Outlook, just a bad recycled app name.

mlg63, Apr 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you are reporting a number of problems in at least one other thread.

Have you checked your disk?
    Crystal Diskinfo (free).
    If it shows good, then

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

If good, then from an admin prompt run
    sfc /scannow

If that (still) fails, I suggest you do an in-place upgrade repair install.

If you still have problems, try creating a new user account, and see if things work in that. If so, your user account is damaged in some manner.

dalchina, Apr 10, 2017
  5. clayto Win User
    Thanks, this brings back lost memory of using Chdsk with Windows XP before the onset of illness which has meant I have not touched a computer for four years. The Leo article is easy to follow, the results are OK?

Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.Volume label is Windows.A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 488960 file records processed. File verification completed. 20666 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 575118 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Cleaning up 78 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.Cleaning up 78 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.Cleaning up 78 unused security descriptors.Security descriptor verification completed. 43080 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 33498376 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 48361471 KB total disk space. 24701184 KB in 178148 files. 104796 KB in 43081 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 592663 KB in use by the system. 65328 KB occupied by the log file. 22962828 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 12090367 total allocation units on disk. 5740707 allocation units available on disk.Internal Info:00 76 07 00 f3 5f 03 00 99 05 05 00 00 00 00 00 .v..._..........86 02 00 00 23 8a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....#...........Windows has finished checking your disk.Please wait while your computer restarts.

I think Crystal Disk is not compatible with my C drive, which is an eMMc and does not generate SMART reports. I have not found a similar but compatible app. I do have disk checkers in some computer management apps (Glary, ASC, etc) which report the disk to be OK, but I think they are only using Chkdsk anyway. I had to give up on Ashampoo's checker as it was taking far too long (it warned it would) ---- I may give it another try.)

Sfc/scannow has repaired some faults but reports it cannot repair others --- the logs are beyond me. DISM has not been able to run the last few times I have tried it.

clayto, Apr 12, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, chkdsk has passed; as a final check on your disk you could try Macrorit Diskscanner (free). It does a surface check.

Given the SFC and DISM failures, I'd return to the idea of an in-place upgrade repair install; it's hardly worth trying to fix individual problems.

However you have very limited disk space, and that procedure requires something like 5+Gb free + as much space as your current Windows folder. You seem to be dual booting as well.

If you have enough space, here's the Tutorial - essentially, boot normally and start the setup
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

This keeps almost everything- except some settings.

Failing that, assuming your disk is good, you could do a clean install.

Note the new upgrade (Creator's) will have similar space requirements, being the same procedure.

For interest:
    How to reset the Windows 10 Store to fix errors, downloads, and other issues PUREinfoTech

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Outlook Mail app corrupted? - Similar Threads - Outlook Mail app

2. New Outlook mail app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Outlook mail app: New PC has Windows11 installed, purchased and installed Microsoft 365. When setting up email accounts the new Outlook app does not have a POP3 option, has Imap, GMail, Yahoo etc. How do I enable POP3?...
  3. New Outlook mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Outlook mail app: New PC has Windows11 installed, purchased and installed Microsoft 365. When setting up email accounts the new Outlook app does not have a POP3 option, has Imap, GMail, Yahoo etc. How do I enable POP3?...
  4. Mail app not opening because of outlook

Mail app not opening because of outlook: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I just updated Mail app from Microsoft store and after that I saw the toggle on the top right corner "Try the new outlook app" and I just tried to remove the toggle from the app, on the internet the method to remove this to create a DWORD key but...
  5. Cannot add outlook mail to windows mail app.

Cannot add outlook mail to windows mail app.: If I add as Office 365 mail after add I will get a password out of date message, after I fix the account it happens again and again. I have checked all email passwords and the are correct. I can manually add but then, no incoming or out going mail will show in the windows...
  6. outlook mail app version 16005.13426.20368.0

outlook mail app version 16005.13426.20368.0: unable to view or open outlook item attachments specifically UPS Delivery Notifications - these are notifications of failed email address to recipients. i am able to view in reading pane or open these attachments fine on outlook desktop version as well as outlook 365 but it...
  7. Outlook mail people app

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outlook mail people app: I have a Problem with the people app , my contacts are in outlook .com. But are not the same as the people app in windows 10 mail, won't sync ? using mail windows 10 the people app has contacts I did not enter, or reply to and I am not able to delete them ? these strange...
  8. Outlook mail app on my surface

Outlook mail app on my surface: The Outlook application has suddenly move most of my folders, even the ones I am currently using to Archives. How do I move them back to folders as I used to have them.? The problem started when I went to Microsoft store on Fifth Av NYC. I had a problem with using outlook...
  9. Outlook mail app Windowas 10

Outlook mail app Windowas 10: I am looking for a way to consolidate several contacts into one mailing group/list so that I only have to type in the group/list name to send an email to everyone in the group. Anyone know how to do this?...
  10. SendTo mail opens Outlook instead of Mail app

in Browsers and Email
    SendTo mail opens Outlook instead of Mail app: Hello, I am using Mail app built in Windows 10. Office 2013 is installed with all applications. If I try to use the SendTo link from Explorer, it opens up Outlook instead of the default Mail app. In default programs, Mail has all his options checked. How to make the SendTo...