Windows 10: Outlook (Office 07) set-up

Discus and support Outlook (Office 07) set-up in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; On this new laptop just installed Office 2007 and am attempting to set up email. Unable to get past the step which asks for a password provided by my... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by nithig, Nov 17, 2017.

1. nithig Win User

Outlook (Office 07) set-up

On this new laptop just installed Office 2007 and am attempting to set up email.
    Unable to get past the step which asks for a password provided by my ISP (see screenshot)

Any idea of what this is about, or how to get around it?
    (gave up trying to get ISP to answer their phone)

:)

nithig, Nov 17, 2017
  2. stan_stat Win User

PC Suite cannot sync contacts with new Windows Live

Is there any other workaround? I do not have Outlook. I bought Office 07 Basic (no Outlook). Can I export a CSV from WLM and then import a CSV to PC Suite?

stan_stat, Nov 17, 2017
  3. sjp93 Win User
    setting up a work outlook account on to my phone

I have a work e-mail account, using outlook. I keep trying to set it up on to my phone, I have all of the necessary information, however it keeps on coming up with an error. Is it possible to set an outlook account up and what is the whole exchange thing
    on about because I'm just using outlook 07.

sjp93, Nov 17, 2017
  4. Try3 Win User

Nithig,

When you set up your email account, you had to set a password for it.

That is the password required here. You cannot retrieve email without that password because it is the password that confirms your identity.

Denis

5. nithig Win User
    Hello Denis, yes I have a password for the a/c which I've used for years...just not with Outlook.
    The thing is that the Outlook set up will not accept the password!
    It's the 'given by your ISP' that stumps me.

nithig, Nov 17, 2017
  6. Try3 Win User
    It might be that one of your other email settings is incorrect and that the password is fine. There is generally no specific indication of which setting is wrong, the attempt to retrieve email normally fails with the same re-enter password message whatever causes the problem [all Outlook really knows is that it has been rejected not why].

The term "ISP" refers to your email ISP, your email account provider. I do not know what support your email provider makes available but most of them publish the settings Outlook needs on their websites.
    • You might have a choice of which retrieval method you want to use [pop, imap, EAS / Exchange server] in which case you can expect to see separate sets of data to use. There is an explanation of the differences in section 4 of the link below.
    • If they do not specifically mention Outlook, look for anything labelled as manual settings [for Windows or Android as they are all the same].

Purely as an explanation of where to go in Outlook to set it up [because your email provider's settings will be different], have a look at the MSA forum article Setting up MS Office Outlook 2007 for Outlook.com pop email [migrated & non-migrated accounts]
    • If you have any questions then post them back here not there.
    • Your email provider ought to provide something similar to that but might simply list the settings to enter rather than where to go in Outlook to enter them.
    • If you find the right instructions in your email provider's website but still have problems then post a link to their webpage here and I'll try to guide you through them.

Denis

7. nithig Win User
    Thanks again Denis.
    Yes, that's exactly what I did (from the Outlook program and from User Accounts in Settings.
    I can't get past this window .... which will not accept password.

nithig, Nov 17, 2017
  8. Try3 Win User

What I am suggesting is putting in the settings manually instead of using the automatic method you are using - it takes less than a minute to set up manually.
    • The error message from the automatic method cannot know which setting is wrong and always claims it is the password.
    • Incidentally, the diagram of setting up Hotmail shows a username that is not a full email address. You would normally need to enter a full email address in that text box but I do recall some email providers arranged things differently years ago.

If you have the "Outlook/Hotmail connector" installed, uninstall it first because it is no longer compatible with MS email systems. This utility is something that you will have had to install deliberately so if you did not do so then there is nothing to remove.

In the dialog

Outlook (Office 07) set-up [​IMG]

set the checkbox for Manually configure ... and then enter the relevant settings as explained in the MSA forum article.

I thought your previous post showed that you had another email provider [1and1 or something like that] but you now seem to be using Hotmail. I think Hotmail settings are the same as outlook.com settings so you'll able to use the settings given in the MSA forum article.

Denis

9. Try3 Win User
    Hold on. That username-password dialog you posted looks more like a Windows dialog asking for the username & password on your computer which has nothing to do with your email username or password.

Do you know why your Windows username is trying to get involved? Does it interrupt you during other internet connections? I have never seen anything like this.

Denis

10. nithig Win User
    I have no idea and no it doesn't arise in any other application.
    Don't know if it's relevant but one reason I'm trying out Outlook is that after years of faultless use Thunderbird is having problems
    with hotmail. It can't reach the smtp server and times out. Very occasionally it sends but far from reliably and it takes ages.

Am trying with full name ... thought I was there but it won't send! (can this be same problem as with T/Bird?)
    btw this is a brand new Win 10 laptop.

While at least the a/c (@hotmail) did take this time any action I try, other than recieving, generates the password request.

nithig, Nov 17, 2017
  11. nithig Win User
    Denis thanks heaps for your help.
    I've given up. The gmail a/c loaded fine into Outlook and sent and received ok.
    I don't know what's going on with hotmail but after the time spent trying to get it to send in Thunderbird I give up.
    (btw it received ok in T/Bird ... it's only in sending where the problem lies so I just have to go online to send).
    Best wishes

nithig, Nov 17, 2017
  12. Try3 Win User
    I assume that Michael is your username on the computer.
    • If so, your computer is asking for permission to connect so you need to put in Michael's computer password [i.e. nothing to do with email passwords].
    • What I think is currently going wrong using the automatic method is that is has already found an error before you have finished entering that password so it is failing every time.
    • Using the manual method to set up the email account will bypass this problem.

It is years since I had a dial-up internet connection where I deliberately made it wait for permission so I do not remember what the dialog looked like. Outlook still retains some of the settings for this but mine are still in their default state [I have never had to alter them to get email working correctly]. The dial-up section is in the lower half of Outlook, Tools, Options, Mail setup -

Outlook (Office 07) set-up [​IMG]

but, as I say, these settings are the default ones so yours are going to be the same already.

I think you will solve the problem by setting the email account up manually instead of using the automatic method you have been using.

Denis

Thema:

1. Outlook (Office 07) set-up - Similar Threads - Outlook Office set

2. Setting up Outlook in O365

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Setting up Outlook in O365: Wi 10 in both cases. I have recently started installing O365 on customers computers. The two so far when setting up Outlook I get the dreaded "something went wrong in setting up your account" or words to that effect. I then resorted to manually setting up a IMAP account and...
  3. April 2020 updates for Microsoft Office. Outlook set-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    April 2020 updates for Microsoft Office. Outlook set-up: With the April 2020 update my old Outlook and all its emails have disappeared. Now when I click Outlook I am asked for a password. I don't know which or what password it is looking for. I tried the password that I used previously to access my emails but it is not accepted. I...
  4. Setting up Microsoft Office

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Setting up Microsoft Office: Hey Microsoft, I totally understand you love the idea of a single sign-on across all Microsoft products. But guess what? A lot of people change their UNs and PWs frequently and don't remember what they used a few years ago. Making it impossible to use Microsoft Office...
  5. Outlook View Will Not Stay Set in Office 2019

Outlook View Will Not Stay Set in Office 2019: I installed Office 2019 on my computer with Win10x64 (win10 version 1903). For some reason the view in outlook will not stay set to "Preview" after the computer is turned off. When the computer is restarted the view has changed back to "Compact" even though I saved the...
  6. Customizing Outlook settings in Office 2019

Customizing Outlook settings in Office 2019: Our company is looking to replacing the soon to be EOL office 2010 with Office 2019 so I was following the tutorial available here (Custom install or change Microsoft Office with Office Deployment Tool) and using the Office Customization tool website on how to setup MAK,...
  7. Customizing Outlook settings in Office 2019

in Windows 10 Support
    Customizing Outlook settings in Office 2019: Our company is looking to replacing the soon to be EOL office 2010 with Office 2019 so I was following the tutorial available here (Custom install or change Microsoft Office with Office Deployment Tool) and using the Office Customization tool website on how to setup MAK,...
  8. Outlook Office

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook Office: Hello I have 2 MS Outlook (office) accounts. When I open Outlook, one account always opens, I think this must be the default account, how do I change it''s not the defaut account? Also, I'm missing the menu bar, in Outlook, when I click on the "ribbon dispaly options"...
  9. Setting up Microsoft Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Setting up Microsoft Outlook: I am trying to set up my gmail in Outlook using the imap system. When I get to the end it just keeps going round and round in circles asking for my username and password and I can't get past this.Does anyone know the answer please? 120420
  10. Office 2016 Preview Outlook Settings Migration

Office 2016 Preview Outlook Settings Migration: I have 35 days left on my Office 2016 Preview, so now is the time to start planning for the installation of the released version of Office 2016 Professional. I don't see a settings problem with any application except for Outlook 2016. Getting it right the first time is...