Windows 10: Outlook - unsolicited messages

Discus and support Outlook - unsolicited messages in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, I started the process of changing from Yahoo to Hotmail. I had a mostly unused hotmail address and tried it in Outlook. Decided that I prefer... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by glennc, Feb 21, 2017.

1. glennc Win User

Outlook - unsolicited messages

Hello,
    I started the process of changing from Yahoo to Hotmail. I had a mostly unused hotmail address and tried it in Outlook. Decided that I prefer Thunderbird. Deleted all accounts from Outlook and set it up in Thunderbird.
    Today I received an Microsoft Outlook Calendar Event message with a delivery notification from an online store.
    I did not authorize this, and I don't want it. Never having used Outlook Calendar or more than a casual use of Outlook Mail on a seperate computer, I don't know how this occurred or how I make it stop.
    Can anyone be of assistance?

:)

glennc, Feb 21, 2017

2. Problems created by Windows 10 Anniversary Update

I'm not using Outlook. I'm using my Tim Warner email account but open that account in Windows Live Mail. WLM Allows me to restrict unsolicited messages from being allowed to access my email and I can stop them from even being downloaded.

rbs

rbs-jos2500, Feb 21, 2017
  3. David Haz Win User
    Microsoft experts Impersonators

Hi Penny,

We do not send unsolicited email messages or make unsolicited phone calls to request personal or financial information or fix your computer.

If you receive an unsolicited email message or phone call that purports to be from Microsoft and requests that you send personal information or click links, delete the message or hang up the phone.

For more information, you may read
    Avoid technical support scams

Regards.

David Haz, Feb 21, 2017
  4. Outlook - unsolicited messages

Hi Glenn

I haven't found a way to stop junk email but there are ways to control it.

First off I tell my clients to never unsubscribe from newsletters or emails they never requested. Its like telling the spammers, here is someone that reads this junk.

Thunderbird and Outlook.com have some powerful tools to provide you with rule based processing. I find the access on Outlook.com easier to use for those that have not used rules.

Assuming this event is still in your mail I would log into Outlook.com with my web browser. If the item is still in your inbox click on it once. Along the top is a junk heading. Mark it as junk. Enter your junk email folder, click on email once and along the top will be a block heading. Block it.

In future if you want to create a rule you can do so in Thunderbird or the Web. For outlook.com, click on the gear, upper right, click on options, Under the heading Automatic Processing on right is a heading Inbox and Sweep rules. Click on it.

Under inbox rules click on the Plus sign. Follow the panels. You can search for specific words, senders etc.

In Thunderbird, click on Tools, Message filters. create rule.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 21, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    Sign in to your Outlook Mail Account(or Hotmail) from a Web Browser.
    Go to the Cog top right.
    Connected Accounts, Options, Manage integrations. All need looking at and configuring.

There are dozens of pages of Settings you will have to go through.

Go to the Calendar Options expand each section. Configure it, turn off options you don't want.

Unfortunately when MS updates Outlook Mail it may change settings to show some wizzy bang must have new 'feature'.

So it is advisable to use the Webmail access sometimes just to check.

Helmut, Feb 22, 2017
  6. glennc Win User
    Howdy Ken,
    Sorry for the delay in reply. Computer Hades!! Thanks for some quidelines in stopping the programs from integrating me, ASAP.

glennc, Feb 23, 2017
  7. glennc Win User

glennc, Feb 23, 2017
  8. Outlook - unsolicited messages

Morning Glenn

I think for what you are doing a couple of mail rules is what you are after. I find setting them back on Outlook.com means I don't see them period. That said Thunderbird rules are very good. Start small and over time you can build.

With Thunderbird mail, like Firefox, you have a profile. If you click "Help" then trouble shooting it will bring up a screen and it will tell you where the profile is located. I know you have been asking questions about data backups. It is important that you copy this profile directory. It has all your settings and rules. Don't want to lose rules should you start to build them out.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Outlook - unsolicited messages

1. Outlook - unsolicited messages - Similar Threads - Outlook unsolicited messages

2. Unread Messages in Outlook

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unread Messages in Outlook: When I open my Office Outlook all of my messages show as already read. It only started this about a month ago. I have changed the settings numerous times just as the instructions say, but it just goes right back to showing all messages read. I want my unread messages to...
  3. Unsolicited update??

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unsolicited update??: Not sure where to put this post - I'll start here. This morning while online suddenly my desktop came up with the following: "restart required" -- I don't know where to look to find what was updated which would require a restart. I checked windows update - nothing this...
  4. Outlook is not receiving or sending messages.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook is not receiving or sending messages.: Outlook is not receiving or sending messages. I have tried reinstall etc. but no success. what can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-is-not-receiving-or-sending-messages/4a430084-9960-4310-bc97-f981fac4e19c
  5. Outlook stops receiving messages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook stops receiving messages: Almost daily when I go to my PC to check email, I see that at some time when I was not at my PC, Outlook has stopped receiving emails. Telling it to download does nothing. If I close Outlook, figuring that restarting will solve the problem, it will not restart. When I...
  6. Unsolicited Facebook emails

in Browsers and Email
    Unsolicited Facebook emails: I'm not a Facebook member. I am getting Facebook emails. Is there any explanation for this other than someone has used my email to start an account? Is this just typical spam? There is a link to unsubscribe, but given Facebook history, I don't want to have any contact with...
  7. Unsolicited Facebook emails

in Windows 10 Support
    Unsolicited Facebook emails: I'm not a Facebook member. I am getting Facebook emails. Is there any explanation for this other than someone has used my email to start an account? Is this just typical spam? There is a link to unsubscribe, but given Facebook history, I don't want to have any contact with...
  8. blocked (unreceived) outlook messages

in Windows 10 Customization
    blocked (unreceived) outlook messages: weird problem: running outlook2013 under Windows10. My messages sent to some particular addresses (and my wife's in particular) do not go thru. -they do go thru if I use webmail -show up in my sent mail -not found in any spam/junk folders -no filter settings would...
  9. message from outlook

in Browsers and Email
    message from outlook: Hello everyone I have been having a few problems with my laptop computer so I have reset it. I am now getting this message that keeps appearing (see attached) How do I get rid of this, can anyone please help. Regards [img] 91953
  10. Annoying message- Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Annoying message- Outlook: Hi I was wondering if anyone could assist me in getting rid of this annoying pop up from (purportedly) Outlook? You can see in the attached .jpg the pop up, and every time you click "OK" it simply pops up again. The password is correct and I know this because I am still able...