Windows 10: Over Provisioning on Samsung SSD (Magician)

Discus and support Over Provisioning on Samsung SSD (Magician) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I left 50GB of my 500GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD at the end of the memory just for over provisioning. But it seems that they are not seen because they are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by doriandiaconu, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Over Provisioning on Samsung SSD (Magician)

I left 50GB of my 500GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD at the end of the memory just for over provisioning. But it seems that they are not seen because they are allocated after my Fedora install.

Any idea on how to work with this?

Over Provisioning on Samsung SSD (Magician) [​IMG]

:)

doriandiaconu, Jan 8, 2018

2. Very slow boot time with Windows 10 Pro on SSD

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE DELETES OVER-PROVISIONING ON SSD!

After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I experienced the same slow boot issues. This wasn't anything to do with what was happening IN Windows -- the delay was happening before Windows started, and continued after I rolled back to 8.1 (my Lenovo X220
    was not fully compatible). I realized that it must be something that had changed on my SSD and I finally found out what it is:

The Windows 10 upgrade process deleted the over-provisioning space on my SSDs!! I had set up 10% for over-provisioning with Samsung Magician for both my Samsung SSDs and after the upgrade it was gone from both drives. After re-applying 10%
    over-provisioning with Samsung Magician everything returned to normal after around 24 hours. It wasn't immediate, probably because the drive firmware needed time to get its references set up again.

If you have a Samsung SSD you just need to reactivate over-provisioning with the Samsung Magician utility. If you have a different brand you will need to re-activate it using the method you used to set it up in the first place. Make sure you have a backup,
    because any changes to hard disk structure are potentially dangerous.

Info: Over-provisioning space is free space that an SSD needs to use to replace bad sectors. When sectors go bad they are marked as bad and the firmware uses sectors from the over-provisioning space instead.

Michael Bourke, Jan 8, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    BSOD UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT 'probably caused by SamsungRapidDiskFltr.sys'

Hi Ban, are you running a Samsung SSD & Samsung Magician 4.4, with RAPID mode turned on.

If so Updating the Samsung Magician software should get rid of the BSOD's according to the Samsung forum . . .

DaveM121, Jan 8, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

Over Provisioning on Samsung SSD (Magician)

manually set unallocated space via GParted in Linux.

spunk, Jan 10, 2018
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Or not worry about it. Manual overprovisioning is not required anyway.

NavyLCDR, Jan 10, 2018
  6. AddRAM Win User
    As long as you have plenty of free space you`re good *Smile

AddRAM, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Over Provisioning on Samsung SSD (Magician)

1. Over Provisioning on Samsung SSD (Magician) - Similar Threads - Provisioning Samsung SSD

2. SSD not recognized by Samsung magicians

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD not recognized by Samsung magicians: I have a new SSD 4K Samsung 870 SSD and it doesn't recognize it, but windows does. Three others that are already installed show up in Samsung magician....
  3. SSD not recognized by Samsung magicians

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD not recognized by Samsung magicians: I have a new SSD 4K Samsung 870 SSD and it doesn't recognize it, but windows does. Three others that are already installed show up in Samsung magician....
  4. mbr2gpt messed with over-provisioning (SSD/Samsung Magician)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mbr2gpt messed with over-provisioning (SSD/Samsung Magician): Hello, I just converted my W10 disk/partitions to support UEFI (using mbr2gpt which convert an MBR disk to a GPT one) How to convert MBR to GPT drive to switch BIOS to UEFI on Windows 10 | Windows Central Now samsung magician shows me this: [img] It seems to see the...
  5. Samsung Magician

Samsung Magician: So I have 3 machines (Win10 64-bit) and with Magician 5.3.0 installed. One machine has de OP space not located at the end. I can not seem to change this. See screenshots below. Is this a problem or doesn't it matter? Thanks. [img] [img] [img] 125949
  6. Samsung Magician / Samsung SSD 840 series

Samsung Magician / Samsung SSD 840 series: [img] I get above error; I've updated the intel rapid storage driver and asmedia sata controller driver. My motherboard is an asus z97 deluxe. Help is appreciated; thx ! 59239
  7. Samsung Magician

Samsung Magician: I just tested Defrag for SSD on 2 devices. Either the possible other processes we talked about are so fast that I could not see what else was going on or it only did a single TRIM command. Exactly as it should be. *Smile *Ditto and garbage collection controlled by the...
  8. Can't enable Over Provisioning on Samsung SSD

Can't enable Over Provisioning on Samsung SSD: It seems that I can't enable Over Provisioning on my Samsung 500GB EVO. I got W10 x64 along with Ubuntu installed. I shrinked 50GB (10%of the SSD) from the partition and I still can't get this thing enabled. [img] [img] 71169
  9. Samsung Magician

Samsung Magician: Samsung Magician Version 5.2 [img] http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201707/20170726234338606/Samsung_New_Magician_Installation_guide.pdf ***Important information, please read the pdf*** *Smile Ya'lls truly Cliff [/quote] One thing I hope is, Samsung gets...
  10. Samsung Magician 4.9.7 Over Provisioning

Samsung Magician 4.9.7 Over Provisioning: I did not like Samsung Magician 5.0 so I uninstalled it completely and installed Magician 4.9.7 I like this older version, more "options", easy to work with. On one page they asked if I want OVER PROVISIONING, I chose "Set OP", it created a 47.69 GB "unallocated" partition....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. samsung magician over provisioning

2. samsung ssd over provisioning

3. over provisioning ssd samsung

4. over provisioning ssd windows 10,
  5. cant remove over provisioning samsung magician,
  6. samsung magician over provisioning windows 10,
  7. should i over provision my samsung ssd,
  8. samsung over provisioning windows 10,
  9. samsung ssd software over provisioning,
  10. what is over provisioning ssd samsung,
  11. samsung over provisioning,