Windows 10: Ownership of Windows and its files don't agree and very confused

Discus and support Ownership of Windows and its files don't agree and very confused in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had a Win 10 Prof desktop made for me. It has several SSDs, along with one designated at as Scratch Disk and another designated for all virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mlg, Jul 18, 2018.

1. MLG
    mlg Win User

Ownership of Windows and its files don't agree and very confused

I had a Win 10 Prof desktop made for me. It has several SSDs, along with one designated at as Scratch Disk and another designated for all virtual memory. When it was built the techs forgot one thing: I wasn't the Admin of my own computer. For testing purposes they had made themselves the Admins and didn't set it back. We supposedly worked it out via phone support but I keep running into files on Drive C, usually in Windows,. for which I don't have all the permissions.

Over the last year whenever I didn't have permission I made myself the owner and I now understand that was probably foolish for long term stability. The last Windows update showed many problems in the event log because it couldn't find files, permissions etc. It did finally complete.

I would like to set Windows permissions so that they are in agreement with one another, allow update access and allow me full access.

Present situation:
    I am the only Administrator and the only listed user. I am the only user.
    Drive C is owned by me and I have full control with no special permissions
    Group User Names Drive C: Authenticated Users, System, Administrators Pname of computer,
    My name Pname of computer, Users Pname of computer
    I have all permissions - no special permissions
    I am the owner of Drive C and the Admin badge is next to my name

Windows Folder
    Owner is me I had a Win 10 Prof desktop made for me. It has several SSDs, along with one designated at as Scratch Disk and another designated for all virtual memory. When it was built the techs forgot one thing: I wasn't the Admin of my own computer. For testing purposes they had made themselves the Admins and didn't set it back. We supposedly worked it out via phone support but I keep running into files on Drive C, usually in Windows,. for which I don't have all the permissions.

Over the last year whenever I didn't have permission I made myself the owner and I now understand that was probably foolish for long term stability. The last Windows update showed many problems in the event log because it couldn't find files, permissions etc. It did finally complete.

I would like to set Windows permissions so that they are in agreement with one another, allow update access and allow me full access.

Present situation:

Group User Names Drive C: Authenticated Users, System, Administrators - (name of computer) ,
    My name (name of computer) , Users (name of computer)

C:\Windows Folder
    Owner is my name (name of computer) with admin badge

Group or User Name:
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION
    My name and (name of computer)
    Administrators (name of computer) full control
    Administrators (name of computer) modify
    Users (name of computer)
    TrustedInstaller
    CREATOR OWNER
    SYSTEM full control
    SYSTEM modify
    Even though I am the owner I cannot change any of the permissions for this folder. I get an error message about no container?

C:\Windows\System folder
    Group or User Name:
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    My name (name of computer)
    SYSTEM - Modify
    SYSTEM - Full control
    Administrators I had a Win 10 Prof desktop made for me. It has several SSDs, along with one designated at as Scratch Disk and another designated for all virtual memory. When it was built the techs forgot one thing: I wasn't the Admin of my own computer. For testing purposes they had made themselves the Admins and didn't set it back. We supposedly worked it out via phone support but I keep running into files on Drive C, usually in Windows,. for which I don't have all the permissions.

Present situation:
    Group User Names Drive C: Authenticated Users, System, Administrators Pname of computer,

Windows Folder
    Owner is me I had a Win 10 Prof desktop made for me. It has several SSDs, along with one designated at as Scratch Disk and another designated for all virtual memory. When it was built the techs forgot one thing: I wasn't the Admin of my own computer. For testing purposes they had made themselves the Admins and didn't set it back. We supposedly worked it out via phone support but I keep running into files on Drive C, usually in Windows,. for which I don't have all the permissions.

Present situation:

Group User Names Drive C: Authenticated Users, System, Administrators - (name of computer) ,

Group or User Name:
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    Users (name of computer)
    TrustedInstaller
    CREATOR OWNER
    SYSTEM full control
    SYSTEM modify
    Even though I am the owner I cannot change any of the permissions for this folder. I get an error message about no container?

Group or User Name:
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    SYSTEM - Modify
    SYSTEM - Full control
    Administrators I had a Win 10 Prof desktop made for me. It has several SSDs, along with one designated at as Scratch Disk and another designated for all virtual memory. When it was built the techs forgot one thing: I wasn't the Admin of my own computer. For testing purposes they had made themselves the Admins and didn't set it back. We supposedly worked it out via phone support but I keep running into files on Drive C, usually in Windows,. for which I don't have all the permissions.

Present situation:

Windows Folder

Present situation:

Group or User Name:
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    Users (name of computer)
    TrustedInstaller
    CREATOR OWNER
    SYSTEM full control
    SYSTEM modify

Group or User Name:
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    SYSTEM - Modify
    SYSTEM - Full control

I had a Win 10 Prof desktop made for me. It has several SSDs, along with one designated at as Scratch Disk and another designated for all virtual memory. When it was built the techs forgot one thing: I wasn't the Admin of my own computer. For testing purposes they had made themselves the Admins and didn't set it back. We supposedly worked it out via phone support but I keep running into files on Drive C, usually in Windows,. for which I don't have all the permissions.

Present situation:

Windows Folder

Present situation:

Group or User Name:
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    Users (name of computer)
    TrustedInstaller
    CREATOR OWNER
    SYSTEM full control
    SYSTEM modify

Group or User Name:
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    SYSTEM - Modify
    SYSTEM - Full control
    Administrators (name of computer) - Modify
    Administrators (name of computer) - Full Control
    Users (name of computer)
    TrustedInstaller

Although I am the owner and have permissions for C: Windows\System, I am unable to change any permissions.
    An error occurred while applying security information to:
    C:\Windows\System\Speech
    Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is
    denied
    I click Cancel and get:
    If you stop the propagation of permission settings, it might
    lead to an inconsistent state where objects have different
    settings. If you made this change by mistake you should
    apply the correct permission settings immediately.

Windows\System 32 and Windows\SysWOW64
    I am the owner of both folders with all permissions - no special permissions.
    Group or User Names
    Group or User Name:
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    CREATOR OWNER
    SYSTEM - Modify
    SYSTEM - Full control
    Administrators (name of computer) - Modify
    Administrators (name of computer) - Full Control
    Users (name of computer)
    TrustedInstaller

Once again, although I am the owner of both folders and have full permissions - no special permissions - I cannot make an changes and get the following errors
    An error occurred while applying security information to:
    C:\Windows\System\Speech
    C:\Windows\System32\%LOCALAPPDATA%
    C:\Windows\sysWOW64\0409 (sysWOW64)
    Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is
    denied
    I click Cancel and get:
    If you stop the propagation of permission settings, it might
    lead to an inconsistent state where objects have different
    settings. If you made this change by mistake you should
    apply the correct permission settings immediately.

I think and hope that if I knew how to set up ownership and permissions within the Windows folder I would no longer have these difficulties. I would very much like to avoid doing a full installation of Windows or the kind of repair where you lose many of your programs. I did run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth,
    sfc: /scannow and chkdsk /scan. All came back saying it's ok.

I would greatly appreciate help to straighten this out and hopefully a better understanding of how the security works - or is designed to work. If registry editing is involved I'm ok with doing that.

Thanks in advance.

:)

2. xBruce88x Win User

file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad Ownership of Windows and its files don't agree and very confused :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, Jul 18, 2018
  3. AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad Core Overclocking possibility

Thanks, have heard this before...is their a step by step procedure to OC using the bios settings you suggest.
    i don’t intend pushing this to its limit...but some increase would be great, any suggestions on a good air cooler ?

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Jul 18, 2018
  4. Valeriu Win User

Dolby advanced audio v2 (Windows 10 don-t work)

Hello guys!I have a problem with advanced audio v2 on windows 10 don-t work
    Ownership of Windows and its files don't agree and very confused [​IMG]

Valeriu, Jul 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Ownership of Windows and its files don't agree and very confused - Similar Threads - Ownership files don't

2. Several different bluescreens and very very confused

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Several different bluescreens and very very confused: Hello and thanks for clicking on this!In the last few weeks I have been receiving bluescreens while playing FFXIV. I'm fairly certain that is the only consistent application being run at the time of the error. I guess that and steam. Anyway the bluescreens I have encountered...
  3. Several different bluescreens and very very confused

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several different bluescreens and very very confused: Hello and thanks for clicking on this!In the last few weeks I have been receiving bluescreens while playing FFXIV. I'm fairly certain that is the only consistent application being run at the time of the error. I guess that and steam. Anyway the bluescreens I have encountered...
  4. Several different bluescreens and very very confused

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I'm very confused.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm very confused.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/rollingaD30 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/klc7yz/im_very_confused/
  6. Very Confusing . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very Confusing . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10 Pro. The questions, I'll be asking Are about, antivirus. Right now, I'm running Norton Antivirus. All the ratings, have it. As one, of the best The most important,feature to me, is it's VPN! I live in a, retirement...
  7. Very confused

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Very confused: I have one microsoft account with two separate login passwords. I can log in via "account.live.com" with one password. AND I can login in to "login.live.com" with a different password to my same microsoft account. This is confusing and has me very worried. It is causing havoc...
  8. confused, very

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    confused, very: %SystemRoot%\System32\setupapi.dll,-2 can anyone tell me what this means? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused-very/bf03fad8-e017-4b6f-8e13-0609c3aa8e36
  9. Installed Updates. The dates don't seem to agree...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installed Updates. The dates don't seem to agree...: I clean installed a copy of the latest W10 build using the MCT on the 26th January (so two days ago) and immediately paused updates so as not to be nagged. Today I ran an update check and successfully installed all that was offered, however the dates are a puzzle. First...
  10. Very confused now

in Windows 10 Support
    Very confused now: I have been reading the horror stories re breaking machines with updates and the like and returning home shortly after a long spell (3 months) in hospital am really quite concerned what is going to happen when I fire up my two (currently) 10 machines. Now of course I...