Windows 10: Page fault in non paged area (portcls.sys)

Discus and support Page fault in non paged area (portcls.sys) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey I am new here so I will try and keep this as concise as possible! I get the BSOD seen in the title on this PC at random intervals but usually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by merp1991, Jul 15, 2016.

1. merp1991 Win User

Page fault in non paged area (portcls.sys)

Hey I am new here so I will try and keep this as concise as possible!

I get the BSOD seen in the title on this PC at random intervals but usually once or twice per fortnight. This might be while gaming, web browsing or doing anything normal.

I followed this thread for analysing 2 dump files I have retained (I believe these are full memory dumps). I found that nvlddmkm might be causing the issue, however I wasn't totally convinced it was the nvidia drivers at fault as this was a fresh Win 10 install about a month or two ago.

I have followed the BSOD posting instructions to generate the zip with the logs etc in it however the tool doesn't seem to like making the zip when it includes the 2 large dump files I checked above as the zip ends up being empty? I can only run it successfully if I just leave in the smaller dumps from C:\windows\minidump. I will attach the one it can make and can attach another zip with the 2 larger dumps in if needed? This extra zip would be over 400MB so not sure if that would be allowed or even needed!

Thanks in advance.

:)

merp1991, Jul 15, 2016
  2. Anne Ros Win User

BSOD: PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA

Hi,

Error code PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA can occur either be a software or hardware related issues. To help us isolate the issue, we suggest running the
    blue screen error troubleshooter as an initial troubleshooting step and see if it will work.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Anne Ros, Jul 15, 2016
  3. Page fault in non paged area

I have attempted the upgrade to windows 10 twice. Each time it ends with this error:

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. (100% complete)

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA(TfSysMon.sys)

I waited for the restart overnight and it never came. After manual power reset the system is restored to windows 7.

How do I get passed this so I can complete the upgrade to windows 10?

Frank Gate, Jul 15, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

If you uninstall Virtual Audio Cable by EuMus Design, what happens? Check it and let us know.

Not suggesting for an update because I am not seeing a driver for it that is compatible with Windows 10.
    Code: BugCheck 50, {ffffe0006a15c008, 0, fffff801a0c080bd, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vrtaucbl.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vrtaucbl.sys Could not read faulting driver name Probably caused by : portcls.sys ( portcls!GetMaxMapRegisters+5 ) Followup: MachineOwner ---------[/quote] Code: Image name: vrtaucbl.sys Timestamp: Sun Apr 01 14:38:53 2012 (4F781B25)[/quote]

5. merp1991 Win User
    Ah yeah I use this for splitting my audio channels for game recording/streaming. I'll uninstall it and monitor it for a while, thanks!

merp1991, Jul 15, 2016
  6. merp1991 Win User
    I think I will go ahead and mark this as resolved. I uninstalled it and it's been ok so far, however I think the issues have been my own doing! I think I have been using an out of date version which I had kept on USB media from my last Windows install, however since downloading some time ago it there have been some updates to it.

Specifically versions 4.13 and 4.14 of VAC have had fixes for the portcls.sys / GetMaxMapRegisters issues which you have pointed out above. I am now going to install the latest version and that should hopefully sort it. If I have any further issues I will uninstall it again and run for a few weeks and make another thread if anything else is causing bother.

Thanks for the help *Smile

merp1991, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Page fault in non paged area (portcls.sys) - Similar Threads - Page fault non

2. Page Fault in non paged area

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Page Fault in non paged area: Started 2 weeks ago whenever a wordpad doc was opened. Pre-display was ok but opening gave Blue Screen.Now having same failure whenever I try to change cell format in any LibreOffice spreadsheet. Have done a system restore back 2 weeks but still fails....
  3. Page Fault in non paged area

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Page Fault in non paged area: Started 2 weeks ago whenever a wordpad doc was opened. Pre-display was ok but opening gave Blue Screen.Now having same failure whenever I try to change cell format in any LibreOffice spreadsheet. Have done a system restore back 2 weeks but still fails....
  4. Wdf01000.sys page fault in non paged area

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wdf01000.sys page fault in non paged area: after downloading something it was a virus so it gave me a blue screen and now everytime I open my computer it says we ran into a problem page fault in non paged area caused by wdf01000 pls help:...
  5. Wdf01000.sys page fault in non paged area

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wdf01000.sys page fault in non paged area: after downloading something it was a virus so it gave me a blue screen and now everytime I open my computer it says we ran into a problem page fault in non paged area caused by wdf01000 pls help:...
  6. Wdf01000.sys page fault in non paged area

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. page fault in non paged area

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    page fault in non paged area: so, for a while now, like 2/3 months i have been getting the blue screen with PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA, without any other info. i tried to read the dump file but i cant understand almost nothing. whatever it is i know it might has to do with ene.sys i really dont want...
  8. Wdf01000.sys page fault in non paged area

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wdf01000.sys page fault in non paged area: After reseting network adopter & pc. Blue screen appear, no error found under /scan now. Many drivers show errors including network adopters. I cant update network adopters, bar goes in a loop forever. I cleaned installed windows on a new ssd beggining of agaust, almost...
  9. Page Fault in Non Paged Area Error Netwtw06.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Page Fault in Non Paged Area Error Netwtw06.sys: This message has been appearing on my computer for quite a while now, and I don't know what the problem is. This only happens at my home, and after it just restarts my computer and everything is fine again until the blue screen pops up and does it all over again. It's really...
  10. STOPCODE: PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA: Netwtw06.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    STOPCODE: PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA: Netwtw06.sys: Split from this thread. removed - not relevant to issue My ASUS Q504UAK Q504UA-BHI5T13 build on 04/2017 suffering from STOPCODE: PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA: Netwtw06.sys. This started on Wednesday March 25, 2020. Access to the internet is not working at all. I have it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. GetMaxMapRegisters

2. portcls getmaxmapregisters