Windows 10: page numbering

Discus and support page numbering in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; trying to number pages in a doc. the first page number to start on the sixth age. Followed the Microsoft doc titled " start page numbering later in... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by sbi33, Feb 2, 2018.

1. sbi33 Win User

page numbering

trying to number pages in a doc. the first page number to start on the sixth age. Followed the Microsoft doc titled " start page numbering later in your document" It is refusing to number all the pages just attaches a number to page 1. Tried removing page number and tried again but still will not number beyond page 1?
    Why not? What do i need to do to make it work?

:)

sbi33, Feb 2, 2018

2. Page numbering after odd page break

In my book I want each new chapter to start on an odd page. At the end of a chapter I put in an odd page break. If that is from an odd page, it inserts a blank even page without a page number (which is what I want). It starts the next chapter on an odd page,
    as I want, but it provides no page number at the bottom of page. I want that page number to show. I tried inserting the page number manually as a footer, but that didn't work. What can I do?

Also, my book is divided into sections with several chapters in each. I used an odd page break to go to the next odd page for the section caption in the middle of the page. That worked okay with no page number showing and none of the blank even page.

HowardHallman, Feb 2, 2018
  3. Page numbering after odd page break

I am using Microsoft Word 2013. It is my writing not something I am reading online.My browser is Firefox.

Howard Hallman

HowardHallman, Feb 2, 2018
  4. page numbering

Hi sbi33. Welcome to the TenForums @sbi33

What product are you using, sounds like Word, which year.

Not sure what year you are using, here are instructions for 2013.

Could I suggest you start a new document, make it simple a word on each page, say three pages long. Then in Word 2013, which would be like 2016, click on Insert along the top, then page number, then bottom of page. There should be page numbers on all pages. Is there?

The ribbon should change to Header Footer Tools, then click Page number and then Format page number and choose start on page 2. Did this work.?

If the above worked then there is formatting within your current doc that is restricting pages. If it didn't work then I would suggest there is something corrupt within your app.

Caledon Ken, Feb 2, 2018
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    Do you have any section breaks in your document? If you do then that might be why the page numbering isn't working as you expect it to.

SoFine409, Feb 3, 2018
  6. sbi33 Win User
    Hi Both

I am using Word 2013.

Did as you suggested, created four pages. First page has 2 at bottom and increasing numbers to page four which is 5.

I have quite a few "Page Breaks," there is also a "Section Break (Next Page)" on the page before where I want the numbering to start. there are about 40 jpgs set within the body of the text.

Switched on the Show/Hide facility can see nothing unusual.

Therefore seems likely to be a formatting problem some where, how can I find that? Please.

Yes, as above, I do have a Section Breaks as I want the numbering to start on page 8.

It is a Family History book so do not want the title page, Preface, Contents etc to be numbered, Would like it to start where the story starts.

Does the page numbering facility have a limit to the number of pages that can be numbered?

sbi33, Feb 3, 2018
  7. sbi33 Win User
    A comment on the Formatting possibility.
    What sort or type of formatting might or could cause this problem?

sbi33, Feb 3, 2018
  8. page numbering

Caledon Ken, Feb 3, 2018
  9. sbi33 Win User
    Removed the "section break" instruction and the page numbering worked BUT not the way I want it.

I want the first seven pages not to be numbered and page 8 to start the numbering at 1.

Read the site you mentioned and tried the various possible solutions but none worked for me.

sbi33, Feb 3, 2018
  10. Then I would think you would add a section break and start numbering over.

Just tested and it worked.

I inserted section break. The for page number I clicked on Page number format and in the Start at I entered 1.

Caledon Ken, Feb 3, 2018
  11. SoFine409 Win User
    Worst case you could do it in two separate documents. Kind of a brute force solution but if your tired of fiddling with it then that would work.

SoFine409, Feb 3, 2018
  12. sbi33 Win User
    I tried your suggestion SoFine but split it into three sections
    section 1 - pages not to be numbered
    section 2 - main part with mostly words
    section 3 - contains mainly jpg, pdf and some words
    was able to number OK sections 2 and 3, section 2 numbered from 1 - 110, section 3 numbered from 111 - 234
    combined sections 2 and 3, the numbering stayed as wanted.
    inserted section 1 at front of document and the numbering stated as 1 at the first page of the document not at page 8.
    I have found a company to print it for me, BookPrintingUK.com, I could send them the two files and hope that they can print it OK.
    But two files is a bit messy

sbi33, Feb 4, 2018
  13. page numbering

The start at parameter is not which page to start number but what number to start numbering at. I found this out yesterday.

Caledon Ken, Feb 4, 2018
  14. SoFine409 Win User
    Does this have any new info that helps you?
    Word 2016 and 2013 - Start Page Numbers at Specific Page - YouTube

SoFine409, Feb 5, 2018
  15. sbi33 Win User
    Tried the youtube site but still a problem.
    Had a chat with my son, who is in the IT world and he did it straight away.
    But many thanks to Caledon Ken and SoFine for your suggestions, greatly appreciated.

sbi33, Feb 6, 2018
Thema:

page numbering

1. page numbering - Similar Threads - page numbering

2. what causes my endnote reference number to skip ahead a few pages from the last endnote I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what causes my endnote reference number to skip ahead a few pages from the last endnote I...: what causes my endnote reference number to skip ahead a few pages from the last endnote I entered in word 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-causes-my-endnote-reference-number-to-skip/6ed32331-9abb-43a4-9362-bdb93ec6ec2e
  3. what causes my endnote reference number to skip ahead a few pages from the last endnote I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what causes my endnote reference number to skip ahead a few pages from the last endnote I...: what causes my endnote reference number to skip ahead a few pages from the last endnote I entered in word 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-causes-my-endnote-reference-number-to-skip/6ed32331-9abb-43a4-9362-bdb93ec6ec2e
  4. what causes my endnote reference number to skip ahead a few pages from the last endnote I...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why does my keyboard only type numbers on the log in page, once logged in it works normally.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my keyboard only type numbers on the log in page, once logged in it works normally.: Hi Can anyone help.I have managed with the help of this community via a previous post to get my Acer laptop keyboard typing number and letters once I am logged in but the problem now is that unless I am logged in my keyboard does not work properly. If I log out and the local...
  6. Why does my keyboard only type numbers on the log in page, once logged in it works normally.

Why does my keyboard only type numbers on the log in page, once logged in it works normally.: Hi Can anyone help.I have managed with the help of this community via a previous post to get my Acer laptop keyboard typing number and letters once I am logged in but the problem now is that unless I am logged in my keyboard does not work properly. If I log out and the local...
  7. Why does my keyboard only type numbers on the log in page, once logged in it works normally.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Why does my keyboard only types numbers on the log in Page, once logged in it is ok.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my keyboard only types numbers on the log in Page, once logged in it is ok.: Hi Can anyone help.I have managed with the help of this community via a previous post to get my Acer laptop keyboard typing number and letters once I am logged in but the problem now is that unless I am logged in my keyboard does not work properly. If I log out and the local...
  9. Why does my keyboard only types numbers on the log in Page, once logged in it is ok.

Why does my keyboard only types numbers on the log in Page, once logged in it is ok.: Hi Can anyone help.I have managed with the help of this community via a previous post to get my Acer laptop keyboard typing number and letters once I am logged in but the problem now is that unless I am logged in my keyboard does not work properly. If I log out and the local...
  10. Why does my keyboard only types numbers on the log in Page, once logged in it is ok.

in Windows 10 Customization