Windows 10: Paging file VS readyboost on micro PCs with Solid state memory.

Discus and support Paging file VS readyboost on micro PCs with Solid state memory. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; hello all, I have a question for the masses regarding Paging files vs readyboost. The situation I find myself in is that I have just purchased a Intel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tahunua001, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Paging file VS readyboost on micro PCs with Solid state memory.

hello all,
    I have a question for the masses regarding Paging files vs readyboost. The situation I find myself in is that I have just purchased a Intel Compute Stick with the M5 prococessor, 4GB ram, and 64(usable 57) Gb storage. I am currently running windows 10 professional x64. I would like to optimize the performance of this device as much as possible. since there is no hardware upgradability I'm stuck using software tweaks and expandable storage(micro SD slot or USB3 is the only option). I plan on adding a 128GB micro SD card to improve storage and to reduce the need to constantly monitor how much onboard storage I have left. the question I have is would it be better for me to simply move my paging file from onboard storage to the SD and set a manual static paging size or to simply set a static paging file size and instead configure readyboost on he SD. a third option that just occured to me would be to combine both options, move the page file to the SD, set a static size, and use readyboost all on the SD card.

primarily my reason for wanting the static size is so that storage capacity isn't dynamically filling my storage to capacity during heavy usage periods. which of the three makes the most sense to create the highest performance boost and create the best use of onboard storage.

:)

tahunua001, Nov 29, 2017

2. Windows 10 is missing ReadyBoost tab in properties SD Card. (formatted NTFS and renamed Memory Card)

It is a solid state drive... did not know that solid state drives could not utilize Ready boost. Thank you for your response.

I was under the impression that there was a modification that could be made in the registry to make Readyboost available.

Gil "Keep it Simple", Nov 29, 2017
  3. Readyboost not working on Windows 10?

Hi Kim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble this has caused.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better:

1. Have you installed all the pending updates on the system?

2. Are you facing this issue on a Microsoft account?
    3. Are you trying to save some music files on the new 128 GB micro sd card? if yes, then are you facing any issues, while trying to save those files?

I like to inform you that, If your computer has a hard disk that, uses solid-state drive (SSD) technology, you might not see an option to speed up your computer with ReadyBoost, when you plug in a USB flash drive or flash memory card. You may instead receive
    the message, "Readyboost is not enabled on this computer, because the system disk is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide any additional benefit." This is because some SSD drives are so fast they're unlikely to benefit from ReadyBoost.

I suggest you to sign out from the current user account, restart the PC and login to the either administrator account or the Microsoft account to check, if that helps.

I suggest you to install any pending updates on the PC to check, if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Windows Update may have updated drivers available that may be relevant to your current issue. Many times, updated drivers are listed in the "Optional" section of Windows Update. Install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps.

Let’s refer to the link below and check, if it helps:

ReadyBoost Q&A:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx

Let’s try to refer to the suggestions given by RajithR replied on January 11, 2015 and Igor Leyko, to fix your issue.

New ReadyBoost Limits in Windows 10?

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Nov 29, 2017
  4. Paging file VS readyboost on micro PCs with Solid state memory.

so, this came to a fairly disappointing end. apparently with Windows 10, Readyboost is a feature that the system can enable/disable depending on the hardware installed. since my system has 4GB of usable ram and a 4 core processor, it disables readyboost as an option because it is not slow enough to warrant it(in its opinion, not mine). furthermore, disabling the paging file will also disable the machine's ability to use readyboost to begin with. I'm not a software engineer so I'm not sure how the two interact and are inter-related but apparently there is a service called sysmain(which does not show up under services.msc), that is required by readyboost that is disabled when the page file is not set. lastly I have determined that the SD card does not mount until windows boots, so attempting to move the page file to the sd card fails because paging file must be set early in the boot process and the system just sets a temporary file on the SD after boot and gives you a nastygram on login.

overall the only option available to me for memory optimization was to set a fixed page file size on the onboard memory and to set visual themes to maximum performance which greatly reduced disk usage(30%) and slightly reduced memory usage(5%) while running basic programs. I will see if there is anything in power options that can help performance as a whole but I'm marking this solved just because regardless of the answer to my original question, it's not an option available to me. I would still welcome answers to the original question for academic reasons.

tahunua001, Nov 30, 2017
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Can we assume that the main storage is some form of solid state drive?
    If so, that is the reason.

Readyboost is essentially a type of cache. A basic concept in any type of cache is that the media acting as the cache must be faster in some significant way than the media it is caching. Otherwise it would not be a cache at all and performance would be degraded, not improved. Your SD card is likely the slowest storage in the system and thus unsuitable for use as Readyboost

But there is more. Readyboost works best in systems with limited RAM, generally less than 2 GB. With 4 GB RAM there is adequate RAM for caching purposes and Readyboost would do little to nothing. And even then it would depend on the SD card being faster than main storage, which it is not.

LMiller7, Nov 30, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Ready boost is a complete waste of time on Windows 10 which uses compressed memory. Windows 10 keeps as much in memory as it can, to minimise pagefiling but pagefiles when RAM is needed.

Use of garbage tools like readyboost are totally unecessary and are more likely to reduce performance rather than enhance it.

cereberus, Dec 1, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It never ceases to amaze me the number of users who want to move the paging file to the slowest storage device possible on their systems...

NavyLCDR, Dec 1, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Paging file VS readyboost on micro PCs with Solid state memory.

Yeah - "I read on a website you should do this to prevent ssd being written to and hence prolong its life"

My flabber is always gasted that people perpetuate this last decade crap.

cereberus, Dec 1, 2017
  9. MrHudson Win User
    Would the USB port make a difference, using a 2.0 vs 3.0 on Readyboost? My laptop has 2 2.0 ports and 1 3.0 port.

MrHudson, Dec 1, 2017
  10. you can assume correctly that it does have solid state storage. it's too small to allow a traditional form factor HDD. paging files work best with solid state storage because there's no mechanical use, but the side effect of having the paging file on the primary storage device, especially with windows 8 and 10 is that they are constantly expanding and shrinking with needs and while performing any task that requires read and write from the disk, the HDD/SSD becomes the performance bottleneck. in that regard moving the paging file to a secondary storage would make sense to reduce system requirements on the primary storage device, essentially load balancing. I doubt the USB would make a difference. all USB ports are USB3 on these things.

now if I was trying to move it to a 4200RPM toshiba external HDD I would probably say you guys are correct that it's a stupid idea, but as I am only dealing with comparable, solid state storage options, I think some of the sarcasm could be left at the door.

tahunua001, Dec 1, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You are not dealing with comparable, solid state storage options though. You are trying to compare an SD Card to the built in eMMC memory of the device. Unless you are going to go with the highest class of ultra high speed II SD Card. eMMC memory has advertised transfer rates of 400 MB/s. The highest class SD card, UHS-II runs at 300 MB/s. Your standard SD Cards run between 25 - 104 MB/s.

The Fastest Memory Cards Money Can Buy | BH Explora

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Sdsdx...12ENTF22M73N5H

Real world performance:
    Intel Compute Stick Review - Windows 8.1 PC For Under $150 - Page 3 of 5 - Legit ReviewsMicroSD and eMMC Storage Drive Speed Tests

And the SD Card may not even be the limiting factor in speed, if the SD Card interface is not UHS-II capable.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Paging file VS readyboost on micro PCs with Solid state memory.

1. Paging file VS readyboost on micro PCs with Solid state memory. - Similar Threads - Paging file readyboost

2. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  3. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Locked solid state disk: Turned on my desktop using Windows 10 pro. Came up fine. Came back several hours later to use the computer but was unresponsive and showing a black screen. I turned it off and then turned it back on again. The screen is displaying a blue box asking to select the HDD. It...
  4. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked solid state disk: Turned on my desktop using Windows 10 pro. Came up fine. Came back several hours later to use the computer but was unresponsive and showing a black screen. I turned it off and then turned it back on again. The screen is displaying a blue box asking to select the HDD. It...
  5. PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost: Greetings all, Long story short, I enabled ReadyBoost on my old PC only to find out that it still uses the PageFile on the much slower HDD so its the same speed still !Question is : How can I force Windows 10 to put the PageFile itself on the USB ? Thank You in Advance ....
  6. PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost: Greetings all, Long story short, I enabled ReadyBoost on my old PC only to find out that it still uses the PageFile on the much slower HDD so its the same speed still !Question is : How can I force Windows 10 to put the PageFile itself on the USB ? Thank You in Advance ....
  7. PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  9. solid state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    solid state drive: After replacing my HD and installing win 10. I cant see my SSD. Had win 8 before changing HD. Where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drive/66ded83f-fb6f-4b1e-bcbb-a479c75e754d
  10. Solid State Plus BigBoi

in Windows 10 Support
    Solid State Plus BigBoi: Hello. I've purchased a dual disk HP that boots solid state and also has the spinner D: Trying to insure all the new stuff goes to D: rather than solid state unless I want it there. What's the best way to try to put USERS and its folders on D: Thanks. 146578