Windows 10: Pale Moon to Waterfox migration

Discus and support Pale Moon to Waterfox migration in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello I've been using Pale Moon for a few years since Firefox became a bit crap but now Pale Moon has recently made a significant change that has... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Tetramesh, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Tetramesh Win User

Pale Moon to Waterfox migration

Hello

I've been using Pale Moon for a few years since Firefox became a bit crap but now Pale Moon has recently made a significant change that has forced me to look for another browser. I have installed Waterox to give it a try and have searched online for ways to export all settings, bookmarks and passwords from Pale Moon to Waterfox but the results are never relevant. There is plenty of information about migrating from Firefox to Pale Moon or Firefox to Waterfox.
    Does anybody here have any ideas on the best (and hopefully easy) way to move everything over to Waterfox?
    Thanks

:)

Tetramesh, Mar 5, 2018

2. Afteer Installing Edge characters on my screens starts to wiggle

Try another browser to see if the issue occurs

That I know of Edge is not downloadable it is built into win-10.

Pale moon or Firefox.

I prefer Pale moon personally not as much bloat.

ThrashZone, Mar 5, 2018
  3. Van1 Win User
    Notification Box

Carlos Tin, I use 3 browsers and thus couldn't tell you which post was written in which browser. I've been more active in this forum recently than normal, but this won't continue forever. I'll try to vary browser use some to see if that
    makes a difference. My posts go back to 2010, but I don't remember ever getting a notification, and I wasn't using then the browsers I'm using now. Thanks for responding. (Using Waterfox for this post. The other 2 are Pale Moon and Cyberfox, if that tells
    you anything.)

Van1, Mar 5, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

I have use Pale Moon for years due to favorite extensions still being supported but not in Firefox. Curious what changed, in your mind.
    Bookmarks are easy. Click Pale Moon in upper L corner/Bookmarks/Organize bookmarks then Import and Backup tab/Export bookmarks to HTML. File is importable to any browser.
    I use Last Pass password manager so all passwords work on any browser with LP extension or login to their home page. Settings may have to be redone from Customize in Waterfox. Good Luck

mrgeek, Mar 6, 2018
  5. Tetramesh Win User
    Hi

I switched to Pale Moon after Firefox limited cookie control. Previously I used to deny all cookies unless it was a site I used often and trusted, I would then allow all cookies. For some sites it was necessary to allow cookies only for that session, these were normally sites that I needed to have a cookie but didn't want it stored permanently or where I had to buy something where the price could change. Pale Moon has recently joined Firefox in removing the 'ask me every time' option in cookie control which is what Waterfox has.

I have managed to import my bookmarks but am having trouble with LastPass. I have opened the LastPass vault in Waterfox and have tried to import passwords using a 'Generic CSV File' but they don't seem to transfer to Waterfox.

Tetramesh, Mar 6, 2018
  6. pyramid10 Win User
    From way out in leftfield, is Pale Moon that was used 32-bit or 64-bit, WaterFox being 64-bit?

pyramid10, Mar 6, 2018
  7. Callender Win User
    Personally I never bother about such things. I set third party cookies to "Never" accept and for the rest of the cookies I use Cookie Auto Delete and Cookie Quick Manager extensions.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ie-autodelete/

With Cookie AutoDelete the Whitelist is for cookies that you want to store permanently and the Greylist is for cookies that you want to keep but delete on browser close. Other cookies will auto delete when you leave the site or close the current tab.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...quick-manager/

Cookie Quick Manager allows prevention of cookie deletion even by Cookie Auto Delete addon. It does not stop cookies being removed when Firefox is closed if you set the option to clear cookies on close in the browser's options.

Protected cookie in Cookie Quick Manager:

Pale Moon to Waterfox migration [​IMG]

Highlighted options are for "protect all cookies" on the left or "protect selected cookie" on the right.

Cookie Auto Delete tries to delete the protected cookie:

However the cookie is kept until the browser is closed. (Behaviour configured in FF options and Cookie Auto Delete)

Callender, Mar 6, 2018
  8. mrgeek Win User

Can't help with the cookie setting, as I have it set to only save cookies for sites that I visit. As far as LastPass, it is control from their site, not the browser. If you sign in to the extension in Waterfox, Chrome or Edge, your password vault is synchronized when you sign in. IE; you enter a new User name and pass on a new site in Waterfox and elect to 'save site and password', you can close, open Chrome, sign-in to the LastPass extension there and the new site will be there too. The CSV export is only to create a file that you can store on, say, a flash drive to use on another computer or export to Onedrive for safe keeping. Hope that helps.

mrgeek, Mar 6, 2018
  9. Tetramesh Win User
    Hello
    I have transferred everything from Pale Moon to Waterfox using MozBackup, it seems to be running smoothly so far. I have also installed the Cookie AutoDelete and Cookie Quick Manager extensions but I think the Cookie AutoDelete one will suffice. I think I'll stick with this setup until the next unwanted change to my browser of (not quite) choice.
    It's a shame we have to install extensions to replace something that used to be part of the browser.

Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated.

Tetramesh, Mar 13, 2018
  10. Hi,
    Worst thing about Palemoon now is there's not a no-coin.... extension yet for bitcoin mining browser highjacking yet *Sad

ThrashZone, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Pale Moon to Waterfox migration - Similar Threads - Pale Moon Waterfox

2. how is the moon not made out of cheese

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how is the moon not made out of cheese: how is the moon not made out of cheese https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-is-the-moon-not-made-out-of-cheese/c93530b8-0e62-4615-ad34-0ee6cf7d2b9c
  3. Compatibility Mode for Windows 8 in Pale Moon browser not turning off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Compatibility Mode for Windows 8 in Pale Moon browser not turning off: Can someone help me turn off Windows 8 compatibility mode for Pale Moon? I just want to go back to Windows 10, but even when I uncheck this box and apply the settings Windows 8 compatibility mode is still active. Very frustrating, I've been working on this for literally hours...
  4. Import Data to MS Edge from Waterfox Browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Import Data to MS Edge from Waterfox Browser: How may I import Bookmarks and Passwords into MS Edge from Waterfox Browser? OS: Win10x64 Pro 20H2: 19042.804 Thanks, Don 174338
  5. Brightness goes pale

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brightness goes pale: When I am playing a game in full screen the brightness goes pale and I cannot change this behaviour in any way. I cannot adjust it in the settings - I tried. When I go to the intel graphic control panel, I get “unable to launch the application. None of the connected displays...
  6. Waterfox web browser sold to System1

in Windows 10 News
    Waterfox web browser sold to System1: It appears that the Waterfox web browser has been sold to System1 recently, the same company that bought the Startpage search engine some time ago. To be precise, Startpage was bought by Privacy One Group Ltd which System1 owns. System1 is an advertising company that tries to...
  7. very pale text

very pale text: Can anyone suggest how I can get the text dark enough to read? I have windows 10 and the text is so pale I can hardly see it. Can anyone suggest anything to help? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-pale-text/d55fc589-aece-4e96-9fb5-3e7097df9d8d
  8. Waterfox CLSID to plugin name veiwer?

Waterfox CLSID to plugin name veiwer?: Is there a program or plugin that tells what all the CLSID/plugin names for all the extensions in waterfox? Ccleaner only dose Firefox. Found about acouple relinker BHO xpi's, I really hate how unintuitive to the user naming has gotten that and apps being in 4 parts that are...
  9. waterfox

in Browsers and Email
    waterfox: I have been using waterfox 64bit on the last few win 10 updates but for some reason after latest win update I cannot to certain sites :- speedtest.net just gives a black screen; but it works alright on Spartan. have uninstalled and reinstalled still the same. 6461
  10. Can't save web site preferences in Pale Moon & in Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Can't save web site preferences in Pale Moon & in Firefox: Never have I had a problem with Windows 7 but now I've got a new computer and Windows 10. I'm using Firefox ESR 45.6.0 and Pale Moon Version: 27.0.3 (x64). I connect all the time to NZBIndex - We index, you search. The first connection to the site leaves many settings to be...