Windows 10: Parallels VM - screen res too high, can disable custom scaling

Discus and support Parallels VM - screen res too high, can disable custom scaling in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have a new installation of Windows 10 Pro build 15063.296 running on a Macbook Pro with an external Dell 2416D monitor. Windows screen resolution... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by judedude, Jun 12, 2017.

1. judedude Win User

Parallels VM - screen res too high, can disable custom scaling

I have a new installation of Windows 10 Pro build 15063.296 running on a Macbook Pro with an external Dell 2416D monitor.

Windows screen resolution is defaulting to 5120 X 2750 which exceeds my monitor's maximum resolution of 2560 X 1440. If I change the resolution in 'display settings', it changes the window size but does not change the scaling.

Display Settings > Scale and Layout says a custom scale factor is set. If I try to turn it off and sign out, the settings persist when I log back in.

How can I resolve? Is this a Windows problem or a Parallels problem?

:)

judedude, Jun 12, 2017

2. Windows 10 applications are blurry

I've already tried changing the DPI Scaling settings, but it either makes my screen too large and blurry, or too small and difficult to read. I also tried disabling DPI scaling on high DPI screens by going into the properties of certain application, and
    it worked for some applications, but other applications don't have a compatibility tab for me to disable DPI scaling. I'm on a Dell Inspiron 7547.

RajanGrewal, Jun 12, 2017
  3. Turn off custom scaling and sign out - problem

This might help anyone running Windows on a VM.

I had the same issues for Win10 on Parallels for Mac.

I switched off the "Best for Retina Display" and choose "Scaled" instead. That allowed me to decouple the Microsoft settings from the VM overrides. A similar setting might exist on VmWare?

NormandinF, Jun 12, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    I'm not too sure about parallels but if it follows the usual conventions of running Virtual machines there ought to be some setting in either the config file to specify the resolution of the virtual machine or something in the menu VM like view-->option file "Auto fit Guest" etc.

I'm using a Windows VM on a Linux machine with VMWARE workstation which works perfectly so I can't give you the various settings on parallels - but try them.

Look also in the virtual machine config file - there should be one even in parallels and see if there are any settings or google for parallels config file.

Here's an extract of mine -- the file is (on VMware) a .vmx type file but you should see something like this :

#!/usr/bin/vmware
    .encoding = "UTF-8"
    config.version = "8"
    virtualHW.version = "12"
    scsi0.present = "TRUE"
    scsi0.virtualDev = "lsisas1068"
    sata0.present = "TRUE"
    memsize = "2048"
    mem.hotadd = "TRUE"
    scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
    scsi0:0.fileName = "Windows 10 x64.vmdk"
    sata0:1.present = "TRUE"
    sata0:1.fileName = "/mnt/DV2/Macrium VM/Rescue.iso"
    sata0:1.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
    ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
    ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"
    ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
    ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
    usb.present = "TRUE"
    ehci.present = "TRUE"
    ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"
    usb_xhci.present = "TRUE"
    sound.present = "TRUE"
    sound.startConnected = "FALSE"
    sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"
    sound.fileName = "-1"
    sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
    mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
    svga.graphicsMemoryKB = "1048576"
    pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

etc etc ...

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Parallels VM - screen res too high, can disable custom scaling - Similar Threads - Parallels screen res

2. Custom Scaling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom Scaling: Hello!I recently switched monitors and for some reason, the new one is much larger than the previous one. I am trying to set the Display Scale to somewhere around 80%. But it only allows 100-500%. Any help is much appreciated!...
  3. Custom Scaling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom Scaling: Hello!I recently switched monitors and for some reason, the new one is much larger than the previous one. I am trying to set the Display Scale to somewhere around 80%. But it only allows 100-500%. Any help is much appreciated!...
  4. Custom scaling not working on multiple screens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom scaling not working on multiple screens: Hi, I have three screens and I need to set their scaling percentages as follows:Screen 1: 133%Screen 2: 133%Screen 3: 100%How do I do that on Windows 10?Advanced scaling settings -> Custom scaling changes them all globally and I need screen number 3 with 100% scaling and...
  5. Custom scaling not working on multiple screens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom scaling not working on multiple screens: Hi, I have three screens and I need to set their scaling percentages as follows:Screen 1: 133%Screen 2: 133%Screen 3: 100%How do I do that on Windows 10?Advanced scaling settings -> Custom scaling changes them all globally and I need screen number 3 with 100% scaling and...
  6. Custom scaling not working on multiple screens

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. scaling hd resolution down to low res screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    scaling hd resolution down to low res screen: hey guys, new build on my part, using an older nvidia 980 card. custom build using a crt 1024x768 4:3 monitor. is there a way to scale down higher res content to my lower res monitor? im picturing 16:9 content, 1920x1080, being letterboxed on my screen. any ideas?...
  8. Windows 10 will not Activate on Parallels VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 will not Activate on Parallels VM: Hello I have been running Windows 10 on my Mac using Parallels VM for about four years. I previously bought a full copy of Windows 7 and took the free upgrade to 10 when available. Yesterday the system upgrade on Windows 10 did not go on properly and I was unable to start...
  9. Custom scaling for low resolution screens

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Custom scaling for low resolution screens: Is there anyway to adjust window/text/icon scaling in Windows 10? I'm looking to buy a laptop that has a 1080p display (like most within the price range) and I just know the size of the windows and text and everything won't give me enough "real estate" so to speak, and...
  10. Why are some applications blurred on a "scaled" high res 4K screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why are some applications blurred on a "scaled" high res 4K screen?: Hello I have just installed a high resolution 27" 4K screen. In order to make my text large enough to be readable I have had do set my Windows Scaling to 200%. This means that the UI of many applications that I use (e.g. MLO, Xara Designer Pro X10) are blurred....