Windows 10: Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use?

Discus and support Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Windows 10 Forum, I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I have a laptop with a M.2 SSD I bought and I have been troubleshooting it for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by matthewjeg14, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use?

Hi Windows 10 Forum,

I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I have a laptop with a M.2 SSD I bought and I have been troubleshooting it for a few weeks to find out a problem. Now, I have narrowed it down to a small 510MB part of my drive that seems to be completely void from being able to be written. I created partitions around the suspected area and found the problem. I used a program to write to every part of the drive successfully with just this one section being corrupted. When Windows or another program tries writing to anything in this area, including creating a partition, the computer just hangs and stops working. In the past, when I installed Windows 10 (the original OS of my system) at 0GB, the install would finish around 20GB storage and my OS would just completely crash. Now, I installed Windows 7 at 20GB since I found out the corrupted area seems to be at 15.1 to 15.6GB. Now, it seems to be working fine.

The drive still passes SMART in flying colors with no indications of bad blocks.

Knowing that this area is corrupted and is not read/write-able, is it still safe for me to use this drive? I don't have the budget to purchase a new drive in the new future and may be using it until December of this year on a daily basis for school work.

Thank you,
    Matthew

Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use? [​IMG]

SMARTOutput.txt

:)

matthewjeg14, Feb 11, 2018

2. Upgrading to an SSD - Can I still upgrade my windows 8 to windows 10?

Hi,

I currently have a HDD installed but have bought a new SSD for my PC. I want to install windows on my SSD. However, I only have a physical windows 8 to install. If I install windows 8 onto my SSD can I still upgrade it to windows 10?

I'm not changing any other parts of my PC(motherboard etc). I've found out about the digital license but I'm confused as to which part of the hardware this is connected to?

Thank you Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use? :)

RebeccaWiggins, Feb 11, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    installing SSD w/o a mounting bracket ?!

OK, for safety sake the drive should be in some way held firm into the casing. this is usually done with the mounting bracket. However as long as it is attached with screws, it should be OK.

While there are no moving parts in an SSD drive, if you move your case around and the SSD is not attached, it can bounce around and crack the casing of the SSD . . .

DaveM121, Feb 11, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use?

Hi, that sounds a perilous state.

For a report, try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - reports on SSD's too.
    Can also do some tests.

If that's the only drive you have, you must make sure you have backups. You do not want to lose time-critical work.

We also strongly advise the routine use of disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for image sets. Thus you can recover quickly and without technical help when things go wrong, even to a new disk should yours fail.

You might want to consider the time cost of troubleshooting a failing small drive vs finding a way to replace it.

dalchina, Feb 11, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    I would not trust that drive long term - certainly not to December. If you cannot afford an SSD, buy a new cheap conventional HDD - it may be slower but will unless unlucky, last a reasonable lifespan. Whatever you do, backing up critical data is essential. Cloud is good for stuff like word/execl files.

cereberus, Feb 11, 2018
  6. The drive is a M.2 SSD, so I can't use a conventional hard drive even though I would love to buy one. The computer only has a M.2 slot, which makes replacements expensive.

7. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Feb 11, 2018
  8. Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use?

I created that partition myself because I was able to narrow down the cause of the corruption to that specific area of my SSD. I was able to write successfully to all other sectors with garbage dummy files except for sectors around that partition, where my entire OS crashed when it reached that area.

9. I would love to buy one, but the computer only has a single M.2 SSD slot. I'm currently working with my flash drive (main mode of storage) and Google Drive. I am concerned about my data. Thank you for that time estimate.
    I prefer to use open source tools and using up trials isn't exactly what I'd like to do on my computer. I'm pretty sure that this area is corrupted already, and I've already used some other tools to verify other parts of my drive to make sure they are read/writable. I'm just very concerned the corrupted area may spread and I may be left with an unbootable computer during a class or time when I do need it.

This is a result after all open space except that partition has been written to with garbage data to ensure read/write abilities.

10. dalchina New Member
    Hard Disk Sentinel is an excellent tool and you can uninstall it after you've used it.

Feel free to use a free program - Macrorit diskscanner...HD Tune...

dalchina, Feb 11, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    The Crystal disk has 2 tests, one for SMART and one for benchmarks. It does not have the full battery of tests for testing drives.
    HD Sentinel, and HD Tune each can perform the 3 common methods for testing drives. They each have a full error scan or full surface scan.
    There is one more method that can be used to test drives and that is administrative command prompt chkdsk /f

The system specs in the My Computer section did not display the notebook manufacturer. If it is Dell or HP they have their own drive testing software/firmware.

zbook, Feb 11, 2018
  12. This computer is sometimes being put to commercial/business use, so many of these free programs are not allowed for use. As per Macroit under its description of Commercial Usage under the Free License section - and HD Tune's note of Free for Personal Use.

The manufacturer is Lenovo. I tried chkdsk.exe /f and it came up with no faults. However, when I created a partition, Windows stopped working and I tried to recreate the partition in GParted. The entire drive now fails to boot and Windows just doesn't start. I think this drive is toast. Thank goodness this PC has a 32GB interal storage unit, but it would have been great to have that 128GB drive. I'm going to plead with the seller for a replacement. Thank you for your help.

13. zbook New Member

In the Macrium support they claim that chkdsk /x /f /r cannot fix or recover data on a partition that is without a drive letter. This was a surprise to me and I have not been able to find a reference. If the Macrium information is true you may be able to assign a letter to the partition and have chkdsk fix and recover the files.

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Part of SSD Corrupted? Still OK to Use? - Similar Threads - Part SSD Corrupted

2. SSD Corruption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Corruption: Hello, on 4.2.2022. I left my PC on when I was going to school because I was downloading something and I set it to go to sleep in about 45 minutes which was enough for the thing I was downloading to download. When I came back from school my pc was still on and hours have...
  3. SSD Corruption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Corruption: Hello, on 4.2.2022. I left my PC on when I was going to school because I was downloading something and I set it to go to sleep in about 45 minutes which was enough for the thing I was downloading to download. When I came back from school my pc was still on and hours have...
  4. SSD Corruption

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. SSD Corrupt

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Corrupt: I have an HP pavilion590 with dual boot. I have an SSD disk that boots up but every visible file on it shows errors and reboots I've tried booting USB system creator but it also shows SSD as corrupt after loading. Normally with good disks, the system works well. I don't...
  6. Corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupt SSD: A while back, I replaced the HDD in a Sony PS3 Slim with a 480GB SSD to try to speed it up. The system said it had to be formatted, so I formatted it. The formatting stalled at about 90% and now the SSD is corrupted. I put it in an Inateck USB 3.0 drive enclosure and...
  7. ssd corruption

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ssd corruption: 5 times this year i’ve had to reinstall windows after being unable to boot. orginal motherboard had bios updates as did all other devices including the ssd’s. since then i’ve replaced the motherboard. all drives pass system checks and smart is okay. p.s.u was replaced as...
  8. Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?: I came across an old thread on here and elsewhere on the internet that discussed System Restore usage on an SSD. I am aware that Defragging shouldn't be done on SSD's as it will wear the SSD out a lot faster. I also know that Windows 10 is set up by default to Optimise the...
  9. Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?: I came across an old thread on here and elsewhere on the internet that discussed System Restore usage on an SSD. I am aware that Defragging shouldn't be done on SSD's as it will wear the SSD out a lot faster. I also know that Windows 10 is set up by default to Optimise the...
  10. Bad blocks reported on an SSD - or has parts of W10 got corrupted?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad blocks reported on an SSD - or has parts of W10 got corrupted?: Several times a week when I switch on my W10 PC and before the desktop appears, I see a message saying "scanning and repairing". The percentage complete status of this always stays on "14%" for a good 5 minutes, before quickly finishing, and then I see the desktop. Once...