Windows 10: Partial loss of internet connectivity through wired Ethernet...

Discus and support Partial loss of internet connectivity through wired Ethernet... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For reasons unknown, I have suddenly lost internet connectivity for most applications in Windows 10. Firefox gives me the "Server not found" message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oxonsi, Jul 21, 2016.

1. oxonsi Win User

Partial loss of internet connectivity through wired Ethernet...

For reasons unknown, I have suddenly lost internet connectivity for most applications in Windows 10. Firefox gives me the "Server not found" message and Edge gives me "Hmm, we can't reach this page" for every website.

If I run Windows Update, it states, "We couldn't connect to the update service ... Make sure you are connected to the internet." In services.msc, Windows Update is shown as running, so that's not the issue.

Stranger still is the fact that the Tor Browser can access all websites. Yes, I have the Tor Browser bundle installed, and I decided to test it not expecting it to work. Color me surprised.

And of course other computers attached to the same router can also reach websites.

All of that said, how should I go about troubleshooting this issue? I'm quite curious to discover the cause of this sudden loss of connectivity for most applications.

Thanks!

:)

oxonsi, Jul 21, 2016
  2. sfcurcio Win User

Wired and wireless connection issues

I recently setup a new computer in my home. I had a wired connection to my router which also provides WiFi. At first, I connected through the Ethernet cable and received Internet. After I connected to my home server, the wired connection will not receive
    Internet, but still connects to the server.

The adapter says it's getting Internet, but I am getting a DNS error in the browser. In order for me to browse the Internet, I have to now go through the WiFi connection, while the server is connected through the Ethernet cable. How do I get both the server
    and Internet connected through the Ethernet connection?

PS: it worked when I had Windows 10 Pro on an old computer. But now the new computer is Windows 10 Home.

sfcurcio, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Server IP address could not be found!

What is the make and model of the computer?

Your network adapter, whether that is a Wireless or Ethernet (wired) adapters are means of connecting to Internet through a broadband modem or router.

You can also share your Internet from your smartphone.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 21, 2016
  4. oxonsi Win User

And a little more information: my antivirus, ESET NOD32 apparently can still connect to its update server. I also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed as a second opinion scanner, and when I click "Update" there, it states, "Unable to access update server."

All of the above results are the same after re-boot, etc.

As I said before, I'm really curious as to the cause and solution for this issue... Thanks again *Smile

oxonsi, Jul 21, 2016
  5. oxonsi Win User
    No one has a suggestion as to how to troubleshoot this?

I have disabled System Restore, so I'll need to revert to a backup image... But I would have guessed something like this could be identified and fixed.

Thanks anyway.

oxonsi, Jul 21, 2016
  6. oxonsi Win User
    Just as an FYI to help anyone else who may be having a similar issue ... I was able to correct my problem by changing the DNS preferred and alternate DNS server in 'Ethernet Properties', 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)'. Yes, come to find out it was a problem with my DNS servers.

I believe the applications that were able to access the internet were the ones that bypass the DNS server by accessing sites directly through their IP addresses.

Another way to troubleshoot this type of network issue is to execute the following commands at an elevated command prompt.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

These may also repair an internet connectivity problem.

Hope this helps someone.

oxonsi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Partial loss of internet connectivity through wired Ethernet... - Similar Threads - Partial loss internet

2. No internet connection through ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet connection through ethernet: Please can you help me fix my ethernet not working. My WIFI works fine. My ethernet connection says 'Unidentified network' and 'No internet access'. I was having trouble with it and yesterday I managed to get it to work somehow but today it won't work like usual. The new...
  3. No internet connection through ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No internet connection through ethernet: Please can you help me fix my ethernet not working. My WIFI works fine. My ethernet connection says 'Unidentified network' and 'No internet access'. I was having trouble with it and yesterday I managed to get it to work somehow but today it won't work like usual. The new...
  4. Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable: Hey there, I'm having some serious trouble getting an internet connection properly. So I recently moved and my internet was fine on my pc for months.Now for no apparent reason I'm struggling to get an internet connection.I did have some issues with the cooling on my pc and I...
  5. Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable: Hey there, I'm having some serious trouble getting an internet connection properly. So I recently moved and my internet was fine on my pc for months.Now for no apparent reason I'm struggling to get an internet connection.I did have some issues with the cooling on my pc and I...
  6. How to connect to internet using ethernet hard wired

How to connect to internet using ethernet hard wired: I just purchased a new computer and I need to connect it directly to my modem and not Wi-Fi. Which steps should I take to configure my network?...
  7. Pc losses connection to internet through vpn or hotspot

Pc losses connection to internet through vpn or hotspot: Hi, my pcs (one is a huawei laptop and the other is surface pro 3 both are upto date on windows 10) are fine when connected to home wifi but once i started a vpn or connects to a mobile hotspot the wifi icon would indicate no internet connection, please help, thx....
  8. No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless

No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless: I have a Windows 10 desktop that will not connect to the Internet either wired Ethernet or wireless. It previously connected fine through a D-Link DWA-140 USB wireless adapter. I swapped the adapter to an identical machine and it worked fine. I plugged in a known working...
  9. Ethernet disrupts Internet connection for both wired and WiFi

Ethernet disrupts Internet connection for both wired and WiFi: I've been having increasingly worse internet connectivity issues for a while now. I bought a new computer and it was fixed for about 2 years, but then it started again, exactly as before. Recently it became so bad (and no advice from the internet would work) that I bought a...
  10. Internet connection through wired LAN

Internet connection through wired LAN: I tried to connect to internet through wired lan. Actually I could connect to same lan with a wifi and even I could access internet through a connection at the back of wifi router(i.e.wired). But I could not directly connect to internet through lan wire(i.e. ethernet) cable....