Windows 10: partioning/formating

Discus and support partioning/formating in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I resized my win10 500gb hdd --should I format the unallocated space now or when I go to use it? 52542 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by robert, Jun 6, 2016.

1. robert Win User

partioning/formating

I resized my win10 500gb hdd --should I format the unallocated space now or when I go to use it?

:)

robert, Jun 6, 2016

2. Can't install Windows 10.

I had Windows 10 on my laptop but I installed Ubuntu and uninstalled windows 10 but now I again want to install Windows 10. I have got one Installation CD of Windows 10 but when I tend to install it the follwing happens:-

Clicking on drive 0 partion1:-

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the Gpt partion style.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. windows must be installed to a partion formatted as NTFS.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. This partion is an EFI system partion (ESP)

Clicking on drive 0 partion 2:-

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the Gpt partion style.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. windows must be installed to a partion formatted as NTFS.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. This partion is an EFI system partion (ESP)

Clicking on drive 0 partion 3 :-

Please help me solve this problem.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

KAUSTUBH KEJRIWAL, Jun 6, 2016
  3. Cannot Boot Windows 10

Hello!

I was trying to setup a linux partion becouse i wanted on basicly. When i was doing that i tried to allocate 100GB to the new linux partion but in the linux installer it said that my partion was less than 4.4 GB large and that i need a larger partion. I
    opened gprated and tried to look there. It looks like the partion was only 1mb in there. I found another 100GB Partion in there so i thought that that partion must be the right one. and it said that it was on my G Drive and so i thought that i must be the
    one! sike! thats what you thought! It was in my C drive. And now windows does not start becouse i tried to format the partion. however i did not partion my entire computer i don't think. I can still get a screen basicly telling me that windows is screwd. But
    on that screen i noduced something talking about how my computer is locked. so maybe i still have my account and can get to some of my files still!. Or not. Probably not.

Can i atleast restore some of my files to a usb or something like that?

KasperDanielsson, Jun 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

partioning/formating

Doesn't really matter. Might want to do it now so that you will have time to troubleshoot it if something should happen to go wrong. If you don't want it to show up as an empty drive in file explorer you can format it, but not assign it a drive letter - or remove the drive letter after formatting.

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  5. robert Win User
    First let me say that everyone in this forum has been a GREAT help in solving the many questions that have come about since I have tried to format a large hdd

robert, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

partioning/formating

1. partioning/formating - Similar Threads - partioning formating

2. Can't transfert space from partion D to C ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't transfert space from partion D to C ?: Hi i have a problem that i can't seem to find a solution for, i can't transfert any space that i shrink from my D: drive to C: drive...I have attached a screenshot of my Disk managementAnyone have an idea how to fix the swapped partions on the screenshot ? or what caused it...
  3. Can't transfert space from partion D to C ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't transfert space from partion D to C ?: Hi i have a problem that i can't seem to find a solution for, i can't transfert any space that i shrink from my D: drive to C: drive...I have attached a screenshot of my Disk managementAnyone have an idea how to fix the swapped partions on the screenshot ? or what caused it...
  4. How to create a recovery partion in safe mode?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create a recovery partion in safe mode?: I have media tool downloaded in my mobile. So I want to transfer to the PC using booth. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-recovery-partion-in-safe-mode/87cce48b-fa36-471f-94f5-140252eb6b07
  5. How to extend my C partion?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to extend my C partion?: I want to extend my C partition. So I remove my all data from my D partition. But I cannot the extend. do I need to 3rd party software for this? Below I added how my partitions looks like....
  6. How to extend my C partion?

How to extend my C partion?: I want to extend my C partition. So I remove my all data from my D partition. But I cannot the extend. do I need to 3rd party software for this? Below I added how my partitions looks like....
  7. How to extend my C partion?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Disk partioner not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk partioner not working: Hello, I recently built a new computer because my old one was kinda getting slow, and since then ive had an 8 terrabyte hard drive installed and have never been able to figure out a way to get it working. When I go into my disk manager I am not given any options of what to do...
  9. Disk partioner not working

Disk partioner not working: Hello, I recently built a new computer because my old one was kinda getting slow, and since then ive had an 8 terrabyte hard drive installed and have never been able to figure out a way to get it working. When I go into my disk manager I am not given any options of what to do...
  10. How can I delete a partion on a drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I delete a partion on a drive.: I tried cloning my OS from a 240gb SSD to a 500gb SSD. The cloning did not take up the whole drive and made it into 3 sections. The first section can be formatted as normal. The second section is 684mb and can't be changed. When right click on the only choice says 'help'....