Windows 10: Partition and drive restore

Discus and support Partition and drive restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need some help pretty bad here; at least this time I "only" did one stupid thing- Because of a problem with 10 a tech told me to revert to 10270.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by brucemc777, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Partition and drive restore

I need some help pretty bad here; at least this time I "only" did one stupid thing-

Because of a problem with 10 a tech told me to revert to 10270. I backed up everything important to my D: drive first. I did a complete formatting of C:. Then upon installing 10270 onto C: I first blew away the partitions on D:, realizing what I had done just after hitting the keys.

I have run Easeus's free Partition Recovery software but it finds absolutely nothing, even in deep scan.

Is there another reliable method with which to attack the problem of restoring the partition tables for D:?

And this time I know enough to not write anything to D:. Yes, I did say "this time".

:)

brucemc777, Dec 8, 2015

2. restoring partitioned drive

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I need more information about this issue so that I can assist you better.

1. What is the make and model of your computer?

2. Do you see the drive is listed in Disk Management?

Please follow the steps given below to check the drive is listed in Disk Management.

a) Hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press “R”

b) This will launch the Run the utility. Type “diskmgmt.msc” inside the text box and press Enter. This will open the Windows Disk Management utility.

I hope this helps.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Dec 8, 2015
  3. restoring partitioned drive

thanks for the windows key + R tip

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8000

Disk Management shows the partition but it has it as unallocated

It's listed as 3541.03GP of unallocated space.

Partition and drive restore [​IMG]

the "unallocated" space is NTFS by the way

I'm currently running EaseUS data recovery wizard which is finding everything but if there's a much quicker/easier way I'm all ears!

thanks!

McFancyPants, Dec 8, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Partition and drive restore

I have had some success with the Linux based SystemRecoveryCD and use the Testdisk program to recover partitions. I am not sure if it would be any better than Easeus Partition Recovery but it might be worth a try.

Try the following link to see how to create the CD and then look up System tools to explore TestDisk.
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-m...d_from_Windows

philc43, Dec 8, 2015
  5. Thank-you!

It certainly is worth trying. I am not writing ANYTHING to that drive until I resolve it one way or another, but what I find strange is that Easeus saw it as a deleted drive (I forgot just what words it showed, but with their Data Recovery software it was in the bottom section of lost drives), but even in deep scan mode did not find a trace of any files on it, and so far neither the Easeus Partition Recovery nor another free product I downloaded found a partition that I could restore.

I am making certain that I am targeting the correct drive by its size, and starting to get rather concerned (seriously am suspecting some senility creating trouble for me...).

brucemc777, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Partition and drive restore

1. Partition and drive restore - Similar Threads - Partition drive restore

2. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  3. Restore partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore partition: what is this restore partition and why cant i delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-partition/bb2ebf94-ccb7-4187-a3da-4d9332993ba0
  4. Restore partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore partition: what is this restore partition and why cant i delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-partition/bb2ebf94-ccb7-4187-a3da-4d9332993ba0
  5. Restore recovery partition

Restore recovery partition: I was working on the Disk Management window and saw there were 2 Recovery partitions like the image below with no name. One was 700MB and the other was 500MB. I could not perform any actions to both of them. After doing what I was doing in the disk management using a 3rd...
  6. Restore recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore recovery partition: I was working on the Disk Management window and saw there were 2 Recovery partitions like the image below with no name. One was 700MB and the other was 500MB. I could not perform any actions to both of them. After doing what I was doing in the disk management using a 3rd...
  7. Restore recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Partitioned drive gone after restoring Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioned drive gone after restoring Windows 10: Greetings fellow earthlings,After trying to install the latest Win 10 update every which way and failing, I was left with one choice - Full restore via settings. The 4Tb Western Digital HDD had 2 main partitions - Drive C which is home to the OS , and Drive E - home to...
  9. Restoring recovery partition

Restoring recovery partition: I have a client who has Windows 10 running in a VM. He set the virtual boot drive size too conservatively, and now the update package for 1903 won't fit in the available space. I successfully added more space to his virtual drive, but when I went to grow the C partition to...
  10. Restore partition showing up as a Z drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Restore partition showing up as a Z drive.: Hello everyone, Even though this is my first post, i'm a regular reader of various posts here. I have a DELL-XPS13 Laptop. After upgrading it from win8 to win10, i noticed a restore partition is getting showed up in explorer as Z drive. [img] When I open Disk...