Windows 10: Partition confusion, MBR / GPT, Windows installation caused problem

Discus and support Partition confusion, MBR / GPT, Windows installation caused problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Windows 10 Home 64 bit Clean install, 2 Samsung 850 EVO's, one will be main drive the other for backup purposes. The screen shot below was taken... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hammyj, Oct 21, 2015.

1. hammyj Win User

Partition confusion, MBR / GPT, Windows installation caused problem

Hi, Windows 10 Home 64 bit Clean install, 2 Samsung 850 EVO's, one will be main drive the other for backup purposes. The screen shot below was taken from Macrium Reflect backup / restore software. Both SSD's seem to be functioning well, load very fast, no operation issues that I know of. My question is concerning how the Disk's are labeled / formatted / partitioned. Is this normal or did I do something go wrong? I have never formatted / partitioned a disc. I have installed new disc's, loaded the operating system and all was well. Windows 10 apparently has something new going on I an not familiar with. The Seagate FreeAgent will be replaced by one of the new SSD's. Please advise. While I am not "tech savvy" as most of you are I do "OK". Please communicate in laymens terms so I can better understand.

Thank You

:)

hammyj, Oct 21, 2015
  2. slance310 Win User

How to restore or convert an mbr system image to gpt format

Hi,

Are you talking about TWO instances of Win 10 running, or are you wanting to overwrite the Win 10 GPT partition with the MBR Image ?...

Loading the MBR image onto the GPT partition might work without any issues, but there may be some... The GPT installation probably uses a EFI partition and "Windows Boot Manager" to boot... the MBR installation does not...

If it does not, a Startup Repair may resolve the problem...

I have had mixed success switching between MBR and GPT installations of Win 10...

Depending on how you created the System Image, it may refuse to load onto a GPT drive... The Windows imaging method is pretty finicky about stuff like that...

slance310, Oct 21, 2015
  3. PC_Flynn Win User
    Windows 10 Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC

I have tried to re-install it, but and error message comes up saying "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systes, WIndows can only be installed to GPT disks." This is the error message for any
    partition, and am confused as to which I choose. Or how to overcome this problem

PC_Flynn, Oct 21, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

As far as functionality once booted into Windows. They are both OK. It just depends on how you install Windows. In the installation Media, from the boot menu, there are two options to install Windows: 1- Install Windows with GPT disk partition scheme, 2 - Install Windows with legacy MBR Partition scheme. So if you left the disk unallocated at the time of install and pick one of the two, Windows will initalize the disk accordingly. In addtition, the BIOS must be set either to UEFI or MBR.

BIOS set to UEFI then you must select # 1 in the screen shot
    BIOS Set to MBR then you must select # 2

More info about the differences between the 2's:
    GUID Partition Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The two options are shown below with my MB Boot Menu. Yours might look different,

Partition confusion, MBR / GPT, Windows installation caused problem [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 21, 2015
  5. Whatphoeb Win User
    In most cases, it will be fine with either MBR or GPT. It is only in situation where you need to install Windows on a Mac, or when you need to have a partition bigger than 2TB, that you need to use GPT, or convert MBR to GPT. Also, for the newer model of computer that uses UEFI, it will only support GPT.

Whatphoeb, Oct 21, 2015
  6. hammyj Win User
    Thanks, When I installed I used an ISO file downloaded from Microsoft and burned to DVD. During the install process I was asked to choose where to install. There were several options but Windows said I could not install on any of the options. Never experiencing that, and not knowing what to do I deleted all of them and then only one choice was available and Windows accepted it. That happened on both SSD's. F12 is supposed to allow me to select my boot device but it does not work. Non of the F keys work during boot, only Delete to get me into the Bios which is where I select my boot order. I can I get a screen shot like you have?

hammyj, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Partition confusion, MBR / GPT, Windows installation caused problem - Similar Threads - Partition confusion MBR

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.: Hey fellas, Moving forward from this thread.....(just for reference.....Help with SSD boot drive change) Single boot drive MBR was cloned with Macrium to larger ssd and removed smaller ssd. Windows booted fine. MBR2GPT converted the new drive, but gave the...
  4. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  5. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  6. MBR to GPT problem

MBR to GPT problem: While picking a partition for dual boot windows says it cannot be installed on mbr drive. Now i used diskpart to split the partition then nothing happened, it says it cannot process because the memory was low. How can i fix it....
  7. mbr gpt partition help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mbr gpt partition help: hello guys I need help, in windows 10 I converted the ssd disk with mbr partition to gpt using the mbr2gpt / convert command from cmd. Everything works perfect and windows works in uefi mode. but it turns out that I want to install on another partition of another hard drive...
  8. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  9. Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

Partition Wizard MBR to GPT: Hi, Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended up with a system which will not boot. I have not used this software before and feel a bit out of my depth here. Before...
  10. utility to convert MBR disk with Windows partitions to GPT?

utility to convert MBR disk with Windows partitions to GPT?: Does this utility exist? I've tried Minitool's free version, which claims to support MBR to GPT conversion, but I got a warning that the disk would not be bootable. I downloaded a trial of the paid Easeus partition manager and when I tried that conversion, I got an...