Windows 10: Partition drive

Discus and support Partition drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi please see attached screenshot and advise if and how I can make a new partition and move my windows installation to it. 89454 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Edith, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Edith Win User

Partition drive

Hi please see attached screenshot and advise if and how I can make a new partition and move my windows installation to it.

:)

Edith, Jul 20, 2017
  2. Nxth00 Win User

Forgotten password

Here is a list of the partitions I have:

Drive 0 Partition 1

Drive 0 Partition 2

Drive 0 Partition 3: Windows

Drive 0 Partition 4

Drive 0 Partition 5: RECOVERY

Should this all be deleted?

Nxth00, Jul 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 reinstall (Help)

I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 but it keep asking me where to install to,

Drive 0 partition 1: System

Drive 0 partition 2

Drive 0 partition 3: Windows

Drive 0 partition 4

Drive 0 partition 5: Recovery

The only drive in the pc is the USB for windows 10 media creation and the original hard drive. Someone please help.

CarlosCasas_420024_, Jul 20, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Partition drive

Hi Edith. Looks like you already have windows installed, why would you want to move windows anywhere else ? By default, Windows always label partition/disk it's installed on as C:

CountMike, Jul 20, 2017
  5. Edith Win User
    Thank you CountMike for the reply. I wondered why it had installed in different sections of the drive so is this
    OK?

Edith, Jul 20, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    A screen shot of Disk Management would show how disk is partitioned. While installing windows makes several partitions depending on device it's installed on. Right click on Start button and choose Disk Management.

CountMike, Jul 20, 2017
  7. Edith Win User
    Do not understand what all the different partitions are but Thanks again for your reply.

Edith, Jul 20, 2017
  8. Partition drive

Hi, Edith

I will try to give you more detailed answer of your case.
    The first 3 partitions you have are the default Windows 10 Partitions - Recovery, EFI and C: /where you OS is installed/. It is better not to touch them. Beside that there is one more hidden partition - Microsoft Reserved, which you would not want to touch also.
    Now for the rest - you got another 3 Recovery partitions, which, in my opinion are too much. Normally if your PC is OEM you should have 1 OEM recovery partition on the right of C: This can recover eventually your system with the factory settings. But in your screenshot it doesn't say 'OEM' ... Probably you have done few upgrades from another operating system?
    If I were you I would delete all 3 Recovery partitions after C: , this will turn them into unallocated space and together with the last unallocated partition you have, merge into C: Doing that can give you another 23GB free space, which anyway you possess.
    Sorry if I'm not very clear in this matter, if you have questions, please post back.
    Finally, you should get something like this:
    Disk 0: recovery partition, EFI, Microsoft Reserved and Windows C:

I will show you how is mine:

Partition drive [​IMG]

Disregard Disk1 and Disk2 - these are my removable storages and have nothing to do with the hard drive.

Ivan Petrov, Jul 20, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    Tnx Ivan for jumping in, yes I would agree with your assessment.

CountMike, Jul 20, 2017
  10. You are very welcome ;-)

Ivan Petrov, Jul 20, 2017
  11. Edith Win User
    Thank you both very much understand the explanations but how do I delete the partitions?

Edith, Jul 20, 2017
  12. CountMike New Member
    You can try first thru Disk Management, right click on the partition will give you list of allowable options.

CountMike, Jul 20, 2017
  13. Edith Win User

Partition drive

Hi CountMike Tried through disk management but no luck and when I searched see others have had the same problem. When right clicking on partition just shows a small help button then goes to :- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...c754936.aspxox which has no mention on how to delete a partition that I can see.*Huh

Edith, Jul 20, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2017
  15. Edith Win User
    Thank you so much. Did it and it worked however just wiped the unallocated one just in case.
    Regards and thanks to you all.

Edith, Jul 20, 2017
Thema:

Partition drive

1. Partition drive - Similar Threads - Partition drive

2. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  3. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  4. Accidentally Partitioned a Hard Drive D:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally Partitioned a Hard Drive D:: Hi, while attempting and successfully doing the fix listed in the following post: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf - I accidentally partitioned...
  5. Accidentally Partitioned a Hard Drive D:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally Partitioned a Hard Drive D:: Hi, while attempting and successfully doing the fix listed in the following post: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf - I accidentally partitioned...
  6. Accidentally Partitioned a Hard Drive D:

7. how do i increase drive C on SSD with RAW primary partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i increase drive C on SSD with RAW primary partition?: hello. i recently upgraded from windows 7 to 10 using SSD. my SSD was 240GB but the new drive that added to my disk is just 97GB. also my C driveSSD is almost full. after searching on internet for my problem i found that in disk managment, i have a 125GB RAW basic data...
  8. My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition: My laptop went wonky and the D drive disappeared. Disk management shows it as a recovery partition and won't let me do anything with it right clicking only shows "help" and the actions menu only shows "refresh", "rescan", "create VHD", and "attach VHD". Virus scans are clear....
  9. My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition

My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition: My laptop went wonky and the D drive disappeared. Disk management shows it as a recovery partition and won't let me do anything with it right clicking only shows "help" and the actions menu only shows "refresh", "rescan", "create VHD", and "attach VHD". Virus scans are clear....
  10. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.: I have a 2tb USB hard drive which is full of data that I cannot access any more. The device does not show up in file explorer but I can see it in the disk format tool, there is no drive letter assigned to it. Right clicking on the main partition and trying to assign a drive...