Windows 10: Partition help please

Discus and support Partition help please in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have 2 new Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 tablets which I immediately updated to Windows 10. The problem is that they only have 32GB storage and after the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by onefish, Jan 15, 2016.

1. onefish Win User

Partition help please

I have 2 new Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 tablets which I immediately updated to Windows 10. The problem is that they only have 32GB storage and after the updates there's not much space left. I've been researching online heaps and I understand that I can delete the Windows.old folder which is taking up 9.3GB:

Partition help please [​IMG]

I understand also that it is possible to remove at least one of the recovery partitions but I have also read about people getting it wrong and causing all sorts of dramas for themselves. I don't really need instructions about how to remove the partition and allocate the space to C: but rather just looking for advice about which one is safe to remove. I believe volume 3 in the cmd screenshot below is an OEM system image that can no longer be used anyway since the Windows 10 upgrade, but I'm not 100% sure. If so then removing it would free up another 5.1GB or so. Does anyone know for sure? Also, I have no intention of reverting to Windows 8.1.

:)

onefish, Jan 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 failed attempts to use "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" function

Repeated backup failures. Running Windows 10, and when the “Backup and Restore (Windows 7) program is run front the Control Panel, I get the messages:

“Check your backup. The last backup did not complete successfully”.

“Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP.”

“Please retry the operation.”

Each time I retry, I get the same result and messages.

Windows 10 came installed on my Dell Inspiron 15 (500 Series) laptop. I have successfully used the same Backup and Restore (Windows 7) program to “Create a system image”, as well as to “Create a system repair disc”.

Please provide me with some insight and suggested actions.

{Please Help}, Jan 15, 2016
  3. Running windows 10 and lost browser connectivity after installing the 2013 Microsoft Office Suite

running windows 10 preinstalled on a new Dell lap top had no problem with windows browser, no problem installing Chrome, no problem downloading and activating 2013 Microsoft Office programs. BUT lost all browser connectivity after installing the 2013 Microsoft
    Office Suite. Internet connectivity confirmed along with DNS, pings, etc.

Should I uninstall the 2013 Microsoft Office Suite?

{Please Help}, Jan 15, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

Partition help please

as you dont want to roll windows back yes delete win.old you may have to use windows disk cleanup to do so though as for deleting that partition as ive no idea whats on it i couldnt say , i imagine its just windows and all the bloatware lenovo ram into their laptops?

Archie123, Jan 15, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:
    reagentc /info

Any partitionX entries will show you which partitions Windows is using for recovery. Remember, though, the first hard drive starts at disk 0 - partitions on the disk start at 1, though. Harddisk0\partition1 would be the first partition on the first hard drive.

OEM recovery partitions not listed by reagentc are pretty much useless unless there is a restore feature built into bios - and even then you can still delete them, you just lose the restore capability from bios.

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2016
  6. onefish Win User
    Thanks NavyLCDR. the below screenshot is running the reagents /info command. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at though?

onefish, Jan 15, 2016
  7. Word Man Win User
    That's showing that the 450 MB partition is your WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment) partition.

Don't confuse 4th partition with 4th volume. If, in diskpart, you had looked at "list par", then you would see you have 5 partitions (the missing one not included in volumes being the MSR) and could have surmised that the partition numbered 4 (in the "reagentc /info" output) is your recovery partition.

Word Man, Jan 16, 2016
  8. onefish Win User

Partition help please

So it should be safe to remove the 5.1GB recovery partition and allocate that space to C:??

onefish, Jan 16, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Only if you have other means of recovery - e.g. images.

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Unless bios has the functionality of restoring from the original factory image on the 5.1gb factory recovery partition, can you explain how the image stored there can be restored?

NavyLCDR, Jan 16, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes. If you really want to, get yourself an 8gb flash drive for $5 and use Macrium Reflect Free or Minitool Partition Wizard Free to copy the partition to it before you delete it. I much prefer Minitool Partition Wizard Free for manipulating partitions over Windows disk management.

In fact, you will have to use Minitool Partition Wizard. You will delete the 5.1GB recovery partition, move the existing 450mb Recovery and boot partitions to the end of the disk, then expand the C: drive partition into the empty space once you get the empty space next to it.

NavyLCDR, Jan 16, 2016
  12. onefish Win User
    I don't mind backing up the 5.1GB partition but is there really any point? Isn't it the factory ISO with Windows 8.1 which cannot be used anymore since the Win 10 upgrade? Or is it something else?

I am obviously no expert on these matters but it kind of seems logical that if I want a recovery image then I should make one after repartitioning and getting all setting just right?

onefish, Jan 16, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

Partition help please

You can run your 8.1 as long as you can manage a running system - which should be easy. I myself stay away from W10 - too many problems.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    I myself have upgraded 10 computers in my house to Windows 10, including a Nextbook 10" tablet with 32gb memory instead of a hard drive, and have no problems at all. Windows 10 has been the best OS ever on the 10 computers in my house.

NavyLCDR, Jan 16, 2016
  15. onefish Win User
    Win 10 certainly has some issues, it's not really polished yet. My main PC is still on Win 7 pro, I never upgraded to Win 8 or 8.1 as it's not a touchscreen and my very limited experience with Win 8 suggested that it is not nearly as good a desktop environment as Win 7. So now I am making the transition to a new Windows OS and relearning where to find everything. It just seamed logical to skip the already superseded version and go straight to Win 10. My main PC will also need to be replaced in the next 12 months and the replacement will undoubtedly be running Win 10. Besides, I am finding tablet mode reasonably useful on these Win 10 tablets. Still some strange behaviour and bugs to iron out but all in all it is workable.

onefish, Jan 16, 2016
Thema:

Partition help please

1. Partition help please - Similar Threads - Partition help please

2. C Drive, lost Space, partitions, please help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive, lost Space, partitions, please help.: I seem to have messed up my CDrive somehow, I seem to have partitions that have divided up my cdrive space and now has left me very short of download space. is there anyway to get my space back to normal possibly all my space in one place as shown in the photos below, there...
  3. C Drive, lost Space, partitions, please help.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C Drive, lost Space, partitions, please help.: I seem to have messed up my CDrive somehow, I seem to have partitions that have divided up my cdrive space and now has left me very short of download space. is there anyway to get my space back to normal possibly all my space in one place as shown in the photos below, there...
  4. CAN´T EXTEND PARTITION C WITH OTHER PARTITIONS - PLEASE HELP URGENT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CAN´T EXTEND PARTITION C WITH OTHER PARTITIONS - PLEASE HELP URGENT: Hello, I installed UBUNTU before installing WINDOWS on my disk, now I decided to delete ubuntu and install Windows. The only problem is that I can´t extend my C Partition with the other that was deleted containing UBUNTU EXT4. Maybe is because C partition is in the last...
  5. Partition advice please

Partition advice please: Hi Sometime next week I'm getting a new computer it has a 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD I assume the SSD will be the one with Windows installed So my question is how big does a windows partition need to be to future proof for updates and such 170805
  6. Bitlocker Partitions gone - Please help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker Partitions gone - Please help!: After being confronted with "No bootable devices found" for the third time now I was hoping to be able to fix the problem somehow. See here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/No-bootable-devices-found-Cannot-boot-Dell-XPS-9360R/m-p/7619749 In the process of troubleshooting...
  7. Please help cant format Pendrive RAW partition

Please help cant format Pendrive RAW partition: I was using windows media creation tool, then while at 70% it got stuck and corrupted my pendrive. So far I have tried the following:- 1. Diskpart (Both GUI and CMD) 2. chkdsk (doesnt work for RAW) 3. something like low level formatting 4. Bunch of free software like Aiomi,...
  8. Partition Help Please!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partition Help Please!: Okay so a short while ago I reinstalled windows and when I did I accidentally deleted the system reserved partition. No big deal as now Windows creates a 100MB EFI partition and then another one with Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition. Leaving a 500MB unallocated...
  9. Please help i erase all disk partitions!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Please help i erase all disk partitions!!!: Please help i was trying to install w10 on a laptop but the HDd didnt let me. So i decided to use Diskpart to erase the gpt format on the especific partition but instead i erase all the partitions on the disk!!!. Is there any way to Fix it.??? I need to recover all the data...
  10. PLEASE HELP WITH GPT DISK PARTITION ERROR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PLEASE HELP WITH GPT DISK PARTITION ERROR: Now I'm at the point of getting frustrated. I did a clean install on my laptop Asus S56CM, at the moment hard drive is wiped clean no OS. I boot from USB disk to install windows and I got to the disk type is of Gpt style for two days now I don't know what to do. My bios...