Windows 10: Partition layout

Discus and support Partition layout in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys Reinstalled Windows 10 on my new PC, then cloned the HDD to a new SSD and i wanted to check if the partiions and their layout is correct.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by m3mpower, Aug 30, 2016.

1. m3mpower Win User

Partition layout

Hi guys

Reinstalled Windows 10 on my new PC, then cloned the HDD to a new SSD and i wanted to check if the partiions and their layout is correct.
    Please see the photo attached and let me know if it's OK.

Also, i'd like to create a recovery drive, should i have it on a USB? and delete the recovery partition from the main drive ?
    I tried it on a USB and it says "we can't create the recovery drive, an error has occured"
    What i really need is a clean image of my operating system saved somewhere safe.

Thank you very much in advance

:)

m3mpower, Aug 30, 2016

2. Boot Problem after SSD Clone on windows 10

You are using a GPT disk but your partition layout contains only the BOOT and SYSTEM partitions.

The proper layout must look as:

DISKPART> list part
    Partition ### Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB

Partition 2 System 100 MB 451 MB

Partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 551 MB

Partition 4 Primary 144 GB 679 MB

Partition 5 Recovery 5168 MB 144 GB

Partition1: [Optional] Holds a WinRE.wim file

Partition2: EFI partition. Must contain BCD boot configuration database files.

Partition3: MSR partition. Contains some boot code (???)

Partition4: Files of operating system (.\Windows folder)

Partition5: [Optional] Holds install.wim file containing Setup files of Windows.

Disregard the offset and size of partitions after Partition3. First 3 partitions are recommended to have the size like listed above.

Please see here to find out how you could create a proper partition layout:

Understanding Disk Partitions

Sample: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart

I also recommend you look at this article that not only explains the guts of GPT/UEFI boot but also provides guidelines to create a proper disk layout for UEFI boot from a GPT disk using PowerShell:

Notes of UEFI, GPT, UEFI boot process, disk partitions, and Hyper-V differencing disks with a Generation 2 VM

Exotic Hadron, Aug 30, 2016
  3. Windows 10 upgrade failing - UEFI firmware

Your disk drive's partition layout is a standard (non UEFI) layout.

What is the make and model number of your PC and did you purchase it new or used and from who?

:
    http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Aug 30, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Partition layout

This is what mine looks like after a UEFI installation. Bare in mind i also have Samsung Magician software installed hence the unallocated.

Partition layout [​IMG]

swarfega, Aug 30, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    No. The partition layout is a mess. This is the first time I saw that you have 2 EFI System partitions. The correct partition layout is from the above post: 450MB Recovery, 100MB EFI System, 16MB MSR Partition (This partition is hidden, can only see it using diskpart) and C drive.

topgundcp, Aug 30, 2016
  6. m3mpower Win User
    Thank you for your replies.
    So how do i resolve this issue? do i have to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch?
    It's strange that it is a mess, i don't know what caused this.
    I had Windows 8 on my PC when i bought it 18 months ago, then upgraded to Windows 10, then installed the SSD...

Also, i can't even create a recovery on a USB, it keeps throwing an error

Thank you

m3mpower, Aug 30, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    It's not actually that bad - 2 efi partitions are wrong - one of them is a hangover from earlier install. You could just delete the old one (not so easy to identify though).

A good way to sort this is to image backup C partition using Macrium Reflect Free to another drive, then clean install Windows 10 on existing drive, deleting all partitions. Then all partitions will be in optimal layout.

Then with Macrium, you restore the image backup of your C partition, deleting freshly created C drive partition, dragging and dropping backed up image into space freed up, and then restring image. This way you keep all your programs.

cereberus, Aug 30, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

Partition layout

topgundcp, Aug 30, 2016
  9. m3mpower Win User
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice.
    So open Macrium, untick the partitions and leave the C partition ticked, then select "image this disk", is that correct ?
    Can the destination be my external HDD ?
    Also, the C drive size is 62GB, is that normal ? it seems a lot to me for Windows 10.

When i clean install Windows 10 on the existing drive, do i do it from Windows recovery menu ? cause i don't have recovery discs nor recovery USB

Thanks again

m3mpower, Aug 30, 2016
  10. m3mpower Win User
    OK, looks like I have messed it up.
    I created a rescue media on usb when I opened Macrium Reflect.
    Now the pc won't boot to Windows, it says :
    The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
    File: \EFI\Microsoft \Boot\BCD
    Error code: 0Xc000000f

Please please help to get the pc back up and running

Thank you

m3mpower, Aug 30, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    No need to panic yet assuming you backed up old c drive partition ok.

First, your previous post

1) you were correct to image backup c partition only. 64 GB is not that big - depends on lots of factors.

2) an external usb hard drive is best for image backup.

Now assuming you did 1 and 2.

3) now create a boot usb drive on another pc using

Windows 10

A reset is not the thing to do here.

4) Boot from usb stick and select custom install.

5) Delete all partitions and install windows 10

6) install Macrium Reflect Free, and create Macrium usb rescue drive

7) boot from Macrium Rescue drive and select to restore the backed up image partition from external drive.

8) delete c partition only on target drive

9) drag and drop selected partition from image source to spare space created on target drive.

10) reboot pc when image is restored.

cereberus, Aug 30, 2016
  12. Kbird Win User
    Did you do step 9 in my writeup that TopGun pointed you too ? ( I used @Topgun's instructions actually)

....it's VERY IMPORTANT to run the Fix Windows Boot Problems from the Restore Tab/Menu before rebooting

note it needs to find your windows install on C:\ if not you need to change that 1st. (see step 8)

KB

Kbird, Aug 31, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

Partition layout

Saw your other Thread , just repeat the process , since you have Win10 backed Up with MR and do EVERY Step.

PS if you have errors ASK ???'s before proceeding.........

KB

Kbird, Aug 31, 2016
  14. m3mpower Win User
    Hi

So I have reinstalled W10 from scratch, and this is the partition layout I got

m3mpower, Aug 31, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    Hi sorry no ...you are back where you were when this started , did you clean the disk/wipe it before the reinstall?

This is a Clean install right? , it just installed win10 back into the existing partitions , just run Setup again and this time delete all partitions on the SSD, every one of them. this is for Win7 but it is the same AFAIK....

How to delete all the partition of hard drive while installing the windows 7 - Quora

You could also use a Minitool Partition Boot USB to wipe the HDD 1st and then just install Win10 Clean.

Kbird, Aug 31, 2016
Thema:

Partition layout

1. Partition layout - Similar Threads - Partition layout

2. 0x80070643 Windows Update Error, issue running KB5028997 to increase WinRE partition size,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x80070643 Windows Update Error, issue running KB5028997 to increase WinRE partition size,...: I am getting error 0x80070643 when running Windows Update. I ran through the steps in KB5028997 to increase the Windows Recovery partition. Everything appears to work up to the last step of running reagentc /enable when I get the Windows RE image was not found. below are the...
  3. 0x80070643 Windows Update Error, issue running KB5028997 to increase WinRE partition size,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x80070643 Windows Update Error, issue running KB5028997 to increase WinRE partition size,...: I am getting error 0x80070643 when running Windows Update. I ran through the steps in KB5028997 to increase the Windows Recovery partition. Everything appears to work up to the last step of running reagentc /enable when I get the Windows RE image was not found. below are the...
  4. 0x80070643 Windows Update Error, issue running KB5028997 to increase WinRE partition size,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. 3 installations with different hidden partitions layout

3 installations with different hidden partitions layout: so i have 3 laptops running windows 10 pro each were setup using a different build on purchase , they were later upgraded up till all reached windows build 1903 , i just noticed that each have a different partition layout though . one has no hidden partitions what so ever ....
  6. UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions default layout for windows10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions default layout for windows10: Hi there, I have been currently looking in my laptop the default windows 10 partition layout which seems to be very odd in my case. well, i was recently reading an article here: UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions | Microsoft Docs and saw that the default partition layout...
  7. UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions default layout for win10

UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions default layout for win10: Hi there, I have been currently looking in my laptop the default windows 10 partition layout which seems to be very odd in my case. well, i was recently reading an article here:...
  8. What is the default partition layout... a bit confused...

What is the default partition layout... a bit confused...: Hi there, I have just performed a clean install of Windows 10 from a bootable DVD, made from Media Creation Tool. Laptop with initial HP recovery stuff and OEM programs removed! During the installation I formatted only the primary partition C and now the laptop is running...
  9. Partition Layout After Windows 10 Upgrade from 8/8.1

Partition Layout After Windows 10 Upgrade from 8/8.1: I have a question about the partition layout on my tem which originally came with Windows 8, was upgraded to 8.1, now upgraded to 10. I wanted to delete the OEM Recovery partition since it is useless now and reuse the space for C: partition; small, but would like to clean it...
  10. Macrium image restore changes partition layout

Macrium image restore changes partition layout: I tried one again to use Macrium to backup only C:, clean install then restore only C:. Once again it did more that I asked it to and removed the 16MB partition created by the clean install. After clean install I had this, 4 partitions on Disk 0 (SSD): [img] After...