Windows 10: Partition merging issue

Discus and support Partition merging issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there. Its my first time to write on any such forum hoping to get what I want. I have windows 10 64bit machine installed on. the windows drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cnep, Jan 8, 2017.

1. cnep Win User

Partition merging issue

Hi there.

Its my first time to write on any such forum hoping to get what I want.
    I have windows 10 64bit machine installed on.
    the windows drive C is has 29 GB space i want to increase the space.
    I want to take free space from 456 GB partition located on Disk 1 and to merge that with C drive on Disk 0.
    I tried a lot but cant do this.
    I am dispatching a pic of my problem herewith plz guide

:)

cnep, Jan 8, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

ESD USB (EPartition merging issue :) Query

Which partition did you select when clicking 'Merge', try selecting the other partition and then click 'Merge'

If that does not work, create a partition on the unallocated space, then select that partition ans click 'Merge' . . .

DaveM121, Jan 8, 2017
  3. WindowsOS Win User
    Unallocated Disk Space Windows 10

The two partitions Must be next to each other to merge them. The recovery partition is in between the C: drive and the unallocated partition. First you will have to merge the unallocated partition with the recovery partition and then you should be able to
    merge the new merged partitions with your C: partition to make one Big partition. You might want to backup anything you have on your Recovery partition first and then format it. Don't know what program your using to do this but Aomie Partition Assistant is
    a good one and it's Free from the link below.

Download Magic Free Partition Manager Software - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

WindowsOS, Jan 8, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Partition merging issue

You have to do it while not logged into Windows 10 to expand your partition. Plus you cannot merge from one drive to the other. Just log in with a Live DVD and expand C: to take up the rest of the space on the main drive.

bro67, Jan 8, 2017
  5. cnep Win User
    thanks for response by Live DVD you mean i could use Hiren bootable usb !! and there utilize the partitioning management tools !

cnep, Jan 8, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Bear in mind that when there's a major upgrade, Windows creates Windows.old on your system drive, which will take up as much space as your Windows folder, plus more.

Further, your system drive will fill with
    - your personal data (unless you don't use the default library folders and put personal data on D*Smile
    - programs you install (or parts thereof, even if you install them manually on D*Smile
    - files related to updates ... etc.

So your system disk is really too small. Assuming it's a SSD, consider getting a larger one.

Partitioning isn't going to help here.

dalchina, Jan 8, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are Disk 0 and Disk 1 both SSDs? You can't merge a partition containing the OS across multiple physical drives. If drive 1 is an SSD, you can move your OS partition to it and not suffer any loss of performance.

NavyLCDR, Jan 8, 2017
  8. cnep Win User

Partition merging issue

Its a tablet Model Haier Y11b.
    it will definitely have SSD hard drive.
    thanks for the clue but how to shift the OS to the larger partition that is 60GB *Eek

cnep, Jan 9, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    So the Tablet portion has a 32GB SSD and the Keyboard has the 500G Hard Drive from what I could tell from a video on Youtube that shows the unboxing. Most likely the 32 Gig drive is a M2 board. You would not be able to swap drives, since the unit is two in one. Now if you can run two OS's on the unit and choose the second when the tablet is on the keyboard, that may be a way to use the 500gb drive for everything, with the screen being just a minimal install of Windows to allow you to use it as a tablet.

bro67, Jan 9, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thanks @bro67, that makes more sense now.

So, yes, the answer is the OS is stuck on the 29GB partition and nothing you can really do about it.

NavyLCDR, Jan 9, 2017
  11. cnep Win User
    Thanks for the expert opinion but i could not get what do you mean by the 32 GB tablet portion and 500 GB Keyboard Hard drive ??
    i will further illustrate my problem with pics below

12. bro67 Win User
    If you look at your tablet, it is two parts. You have a Keyboard that the Tablet (screen) docks with and that is when you see the 500gb hard drive, correct? If you remove the screen from the keyboard dock, it should just show a 32GB drive. You would put a very minimal install of Windows on the 32GB drive that is the tablet part. The hard drive that is in the keyboard dock, you would install Windows and everything that you want when you dock the screen to the keyboard and then boot up to choose the second install of Windows, which you could label (Keyboard) for the 500 gb hard drive and (Screen) for the 32gb SSD.

You basically have two devices in one if you really want to look at it that way. It just made no sense why they did that, unless they considered that the majority would forgive the extra hard drive and just use the built in one for the screen. Also without knowing if you can see the keyboard hard drive if it is plugged into power, that is another question if that part can be seen on the network or connected through Bluetooth.

bro67, Jan 10, 2017
  13. cnep Win User

Partition merging issue

Thanks bro67 and all who did try to assist me. I now got the point *Biggrin

Thema:

Partition merging issue

1. Partition merging issue - Similar Threads - Partition merging issue

2. Merging Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Merging Partitions: So here is my issue. Windows is on my C drive, which is normal and good. What I want before I start to put stuff on the D and E drive, is for them not to be partitioned. No matter what I do, I can't seem to merge E with the two extra parts it has, nor can I merge D with the...
  3. Merging Partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Merging Partitions: So here is my issue. Windows is on my C drive, which is normal and good. What I want before I start to put stuff on the D and E drive, is for them not to be partitioned. No matter what I do, I can't seem to merge E with the two extra parts it has, nor can I merge D with the...
  4. Merging two(?) partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Merging two(?) partitions: I bought a new laptop (it came with FreeDOS) and wanted to do a fast & clean Windows 10 install, so: 1. I get the boot order right, 2. Boot from my USB stick, 3. Pick the partition and install. It seems, in haste, I forgot about something(?), because the moment I got the...
  5. Merging Partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Merging Partitions: Hello, I was transferring data from one SSD to another with a larger capacity and everything went great. When I went to Disk Management to see if Windows had detected the larger storage I saw that it was there but just unformatted. [ATTACH] I don't want to create a separate...
  6. Merge Partitions

Merge Partitions: Every time i backup with Macrium i keep seeing 3 partitions on C: everything works fine and backs up no problems can i merge the third part with the second part as it looks lost and with a none indication i assume it is doing nothing. I think it was a left over from upgrading...
  7. Merging dynamic partitions?

Merging dynamic partitions?: I have Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 laptop. It has Core i7 8th Gen 8750H Processor. It came with 8GB RAM/16GB Intel Optane/1TB HDD/Windows 10/NVIDIA GeForce GTX Graphics 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5. I have windows 10 - 64 bit version 1903. I recently removed 16GB optane stick from my...
  8. Merging dynamic partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Merging dynamic partitions?: I have Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 laptop. It has Core i7 8th Gen 8750H Processor. It came with 8GB RAM/16GB Intel Optane/1TB HDD/Windows 10/NVIDIA GeForce GTX Graphics 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5. I have windows 10 - 64 bit version 1903I recently removed 16GB optane stick from my laptop...
  9. Merging partitions

Merging partitions: I just upgraded my main windows 10 drive from 250 to 500 GB by cloning the drive. How do I merge the un-allocated portion with the active portion so Windows sees the full capacity of the drive??...
  10. Merging partitions.

Merging partitions.: [img] I'm trying to do something with the mini partition wizard that is raved about on this site. The FACTORY IMAGE D above is useless to my computer now that I have been on Windows 10 Home (latest build) and Windows 10 so graciously dropped a 449MB Recovery Partition...