Windows 10: Partition problem

Discus and support Partition problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hi; I purchased a used laptop with win 7 installed on a 300Gb hdd. I downloaded the win10 installation program and successfully installed 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rogerh, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Rogerh Win User

Partition problem

hi;

I purchased a used laptop with win 7 installed on a 300Gb hdd.

I downloaded the win10 installation program and successfully installed 10.

I tried repartitioning the hdd and foolishly deleted some necessary partitions. The installation media fixed it.

Now the hdd has a large extended partition that I can't get rid of because 10 says there isn't enough space left to do it.

Must I start over with a clean install and if so, will 10 remember the 7 license? My intent was to dual boot XP, linux and 10 but linux says I have NO partitions.

Roger

:)

Rogerh, Apr 5, 2016

2. Partition problems

Type Storage into your Cortana/Search window Click it.

You should now be seeing THIS:

Partition problem [​IMG]

Now click "This PC:

Partition problem [​IMG]

I'm betting we're looking at your local copy of OneDrive which has been syncing away in the background but maybe not. Might be more like this

Partition problem [​IMG]

Which you can view from "This PC" by right clicking it from here:

Partition problem [​IMG]

NightcrawlerYY, Apr 5, 2016
  3. Partition problems

Try running Disk Cleanup first.

Partition problem [​IMG]
    WHEN it concludes and before removing anything run "Clean Up System Files"

Partition problem [​IMG]

making sure you run down the list of locations and checking the boxes that show content.

NOTE: If you are still in the "roll back" period of grace you might want to skip this until that is over.

Whichever you choose to do I suggest you open "This PC"

Partition problem [​IMG]

RIGHT click the partition and select Open to make sure you do not need the contents in that location before you consider removing the partition. It is usually better to invest in an external hard drive rather than remove a partition. You won't gain any RAM
    by doing so. Only Storage Space.

NightcrawlerYY, Apr 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Partition problem

Hi, don't know why Win 10 won't let you in this case, but if you want to delete it try (e.g)
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Boot CD.

from outside Windows. Always pays to have a bootable partition manager handy.

Once Win 10 has been installed it can be reinstalled on the same hardware - basically the MBO. E.g. you can swap the disk with impunity.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2016
  5. Rogerh Win User
    Thanks, I'll try it.

I use Parted Magic but it can't see the 10 partitions at all.

Roger

Rogerh, Apr 5, 2016
  6. Do you have Windows 10 Home or Pro? Because only Pro allows you to do that. *Smile

Computer Chicken, Apr 5, 2016
  7. Rogerh Win User
    Don't know, came installed on a used laptop. Now win7 is gone so I can't start over.

Guess I'm stuck with win10.

Why can I shrink a partition but not expand it?

Roger

Rogerh, Apr 5, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Partition problem

If you use a 3rd party partition manager, you will find it a lot easier to use.

Some operations require to be done either on via a restart, or via the partition manager's boot medium.

Had you created a disk image of your laptop as it was when you bought it you could have restored that and had Win 7 back any time you wanted.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    Incorrect. Home versus Pro - same capability in that regard.

Word Man, Apr 5, 2016
  10. Rogerh Win User
    Granted but that's like backup; I always think of it after I need it.

Win10 says it will restore the previous OS but it was in one of the partitions I deleted to make room for other versions

Roger

Rogerh, Apr 5, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    If you have not overwritten the space used by that partition it can be recovered. But I guess you have.

Not having a 3rd party partition manager to date doesn't stop you getting one now..

dalchina, Apr 5, 2016
  13. ARC
    Arc Win User

Partition problem

If you have performed an upgrade of windows 10 over an activated windows 7, then the device has got the digital entitlement; so it will remember the key when you will attempt a clean reinstall. But if you want to avoid this, please pay attention to what @NavyLCDR posted.
    Without it we cannot see the exact situation, so specific help will not be possible.

I would suggest you to not use linux (GRUB) in the same HDD with windows.

14. Rogerh Win User
    I do have one; Parted Magic. It can't see any win10 partitions now altho it did before.

Seems my only option is toi reformat the disk and start over.

Roger

Rogerh, Apr 5, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    If your Windows is bootable and usable, then why reinstall? Although a clean install is preferred to prevent inheriting problems. (And after that depends what you might lose in the way of installed programs, and have backed up any data you want.)

If it is bootable, and you only need to sort out partition issues, Arc's post and NavyLCDR's posts are absolutely relevant.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2016
Thema:

Partition problem

1. Partition problem - Similar Threads - Partition problem

2. My Windows 11 Laptop has a problem with its partition table

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows 11 Laptop has a problem with its partition table: Hey guys, I am running a Windows 11actually 10, my pc does not support 11 but I am rolling back later laptop.My PC supports UEFI but when i installed Windows I had CSM on so my pc was installed with an MBR disk. I did not worry about it for a few years but recently I tried to...
  3. My Windows 11 Laptop has a problem with its partition table

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows 11 Laptop has a problem with its partition table: Hey guys, I am running a Windows 11actually 10, my pc does not support 11 but I am rolling back later laptop.My PC supports UEFI but when i installed Windows I had CSM on so my pc was installed with an MBR disk. I did not worry about it for a few years but recently I tried to...
  4. Update KB5034441 having problem, even with 250MB+ of recovery partition's free space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update KB5034441 having problem, even with 250MB+ of recovery partition's free space: Hi, i'm having problem with this update, even having the required features. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-kb5034441-having-problem-even-with-250mb-of/a139344a-82b9-4660-b88a-a189113d8a96
  5. Update KB5034441 having problem, even with 250MB+ of recovery partition's free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update KB5034441 having problem, even with 250MB+ of recovery partition's free space: Hi, i'm having problem with this update, even having the required features. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-kb5034441-having-problem-even-with-250mb-of/a139344a-82b9-4660-b88a-a189113d8a96
  6. Update KB5034441 having problem, even with 250MB+ of recovery partition's free space

7. How to solve the problem of partition size is limited even though it it lot of free space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to solve the problem of partition size is limited even though it it lot of free space?: I want to create a 150 GB partition from my C drive which has about 330 GB free space. The partition size is limited to 40GB.I can't create beyond this limit. Anyone please help me....
  8. How to solve the problem of partition size is limited even though it it lot of free space?

How to solve the problem of partition size is limited even though it it lot of free space?: I want to create a 150 GB partition from my C drive which has about 330 GB free space. The partition size is limited to 40GB.I can't create beyond this limit. Anyone please help me....
  9. Partition creating problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition creating problem: Hi,I've got a problem with creating a partition. I got 139GB of free space on my ssd disk. Trying to create a new partition but it is limited at 15GB.Even when I tried creating a 15GB partition this error occured.Tried creating a partition, in a third-party program but got an...
  10. Partition creating problem

Partition creating problem: Hi,I've got a problem with creating a partition. I got 139GB of free space on my ssd disk. Trying to create a new partition but it is limited at 15GB.Even when I tried creating a 15GB partition this error occured.Tried creating a partition, in a third-party program but got an...