Windows 10: Partition Query

Discus and support Partition Query in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Having upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I have been looking at the HDD partition. I find I have a small (200 MB) unallocated partition before the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gordon99, Oct 4, 2015.

1. gordon99 Win User

Partition Query

Having upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I have been looking at the HDD partition. I find I have a small (200 MB) unallocated partition before the main C: partition. I do not know if this presents an actual or potential problem. If it does what should I do about it? I notice also, though it may have no connection, that I have a file C:\CTOERROR.flg which, when I open, has a line saying 'Detect error at extending partition....' Any advice please?

:)

gordon99, Oct 4, 2015
  2. suat.cini Win User

Query on switching system partition?

If your computer does not start after formatting of D: drive, then you must do a startup repair by booting to a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 installation files or Windows 10 DVD disk. You should opt for
    Repair your computer option at the install Windows screen.

Hope this helps.

suat.cini, Oct 4, 2015
  3. rgentili Win User
    Query on switching system partition?

The problem now appears to be solved. Thanks to all who responded with helpful information!

rgentili, Oct 4, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Partition Query

Somebody has said that the unallocated space before the C: drive partition is Microsoft reserved or something like that. I had it on my full UEFI laptop with GPT partitioned disk. I just used MiniTool Partition Wizard to expand my C: drive partition into it and have had no ill effects yet.

Leaving the space there won't present any problems - it's just empty, unused space.

NavyLCDR, Oct 4, 2015
  5. gordon99 Win User
    Thanks NavyLCDR, Unless I am advised to the contrary I will do as you suggest and leave well alone.

gordon99, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Partition Query

1. Partition Query - Similar Threads - Partition Query

2. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  3. Query : weird partition with weird folder

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Query : weird partition with weird folder: Hi all. To start, I've got a Dell pc. It seems they add weird partitions. I've got the normal ESP partition first. It's fat32. The second partition, I believe it's created by Windows, is 40mb and is labeled "diags". The strange thing is that it's also fat32 and includes one...
  4. Clean Install Partitions Query

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Partitions Query: My laptop has become somewhat slow to login and switch between accounts. I want to do a clean install. See the partition map below. The 500GB SSD has two main partitions - C: for system files and X: for backups. I'm happy to wipe C: and the other system partitions but want to...
  5. hard drive partition query

hard drive partition query: I have a Hp Pavillion 500-242 ea pc ...few years old now...came with Windows 8...Now i have installed Windows 10 pro with latest upgrades and use this pc mainly for testing programs instead of using my my main Asus Pc. Now my question is...Hp Pavillion has a 1TB hard drive...
  6. WIndows 10 - Disc Partitioning QUeries

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIndows 10 - Disc Partitioning QUeries: I am seeking information about the disc partitioning that is present on my PC hard drive. If I run the Command Prompt "Diskpart" command, the following is shown DISKPART> list partition Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ----------------...
  7. Partition extension query

Partition extension query: Hello, I have a new HP laptop with a 256GB SSD drive split into C and D where D (13.9GB) has the manufacturer provided recovery. I've now got a separate recovery disk from HP and would like to delete D and extend C. When I try to do that using Windows' own Disk Management...
  8. New SSD - partition query and non-response/freezing problems

New SSD - partition query and non-response/freezing problems: Hello there. I'm new and not a computer expert. I recently upgraded my Lenovo laptop (B50-80) by adding more memory 4GB to 16GB, and a new SSD (old was 128GB - new is 525GB from Crucial) - so that I can run some music programmes more efficiently. The memory installation...
  9. Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...: I finally persuaded my friend to start performing Backups (using Macrium Reflect Free). However, I'm confused about the large number of partitions showing on his system- see the attached screenshot. The backup runs successfully, but I wondered if anyone could explain...
  10. After Upgrade via clean install query what partitions to keep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Upgrade via clean install query what partitions to keep: *sarc*sarc Just wondering looking at my partitions after upgrading to windows 10 . [img] do i need to keep the last too partitions? i love windows 10 and had presumed that after a clean install my old windows 8 and 8.1 would be removed are these last too files remainders...