Windows 10: Partition Question

Discus and support Partition Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I've got a Win-10 Pro system on which I need to shrink C:\ by 15GB and increase the D:\ by 15GB. Since the increase to space is on the left... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nkaufman, Jan 1, 2016.

1. nkaufman Win User

Partition Question

Hello,

I've got a Win-10 Pro system on which I need to shrink C:\ by 15GB and increase the D:\ by 15GB. Since the increase to space is on the left of D:\, I was wondering if I have no option but to use a third-party software or can Win-10 handle this requirement.

If needed, I can make a backup of contents of D:\, shrink C:\, then delete D:\ and then format the free from C:\ + free from D:\ together. Does that sound right?

Partition Question [​IMG]

Thank you for your assistance.

:)

nkaufman, Jan 1, 2016

2. Laptop Partition Questions

Hi,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the issue you have about allocate space.

The disk space which doesn’t belong to any partition is regarded as unallocated space by computer. This refers to no applications are able to write to the space. But it is a logical space on the hard drive so it can be used by putting the system to put files
    on. In order to make full use of unallocated space, you have to build a new partition with the space or add it to other partition.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 1, 2016
  3. Reserved partition question

So how can I see it. It's not visible in disk management.

stll not convinced it is there.

MichaelKeirle, Jan 1, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Partition Question

Yes, you can do this without installing 3rd party.

EDIT: In addition. If C: Drive is fragmented or data in it sit at the end of C: then you might have problem shrinking C: with disk manegement in which case, you will need to defrag/consolidate free space on C: first in order to shrink.

topgundcp, Jan 1, 2016
  5. Word Man Win User
    Hiya, nkaufman. The free MiniTool Partition Wizard could make short work of it - yes, third party.

Those multiple recovery partitions look a little weird and non-standard but I won't belabor that and just go directly to your inquiry.

I think your proposal to shrink C:, backup D:, recreate D: at desired size, and restore data to D: is certainly doable with Disk Management alone (as I see topgundcp confirms as I typed this).

Word Man, Jan 1, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Easier just to install 'easeus partition manager free' which allows you to expand partitions either way.

cereberus, Jan 1, 2016
  7. nkaufman Win User
    Thank you for confirming and your suggestion. Will defrag first and then shrink/format.

nkaufman, Jan 1, 2016
  8. nkaufman Win User

Partition Question

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, that is the way the Lenovo laptop came - with 6 partitions. It came with Win-10 Home and I installed Win-10 Pro by only formatting the C:\ and left everything as is (machine owner wanted to keep ability to revert it to factory condition using the Key Recovery feature from Lenovo) and I was surprised to see all the other partitions as 100% free but since this is the first Win-10 unit I was working with, I just left everything as is.

nkaufman, Jan 1, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    You're very welcome. Note that the 100% free is bogus - Disk Management is not up to the task.

You can check this in diskpart from an elevated (admin) command prompt. An example in your case would be the following commands:

diskpart
    select vol 1
    detail vol

You can change the volume selected to see details on them and it will correctly reveal how much space is actually free on them.

Word Man, Jan 1, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I and several other members of this forum trust MiniTool Partition Wizard Free a whole lot more than we trust built Windows disk management.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Partition Question

1. Partition Question - Similar Threads - Partition Question

2. a random partition appeared with a question mark

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    a random partition appeared with a question mark: im using windows 10 lately i have a random partition that appeared in my pc with a blue question mark it is unaccessible and all partition i have are named and functioning properlyand also my pc start doing disk repair every time i launch the pc i didnt find any solution i...
  3. a random partition appeared with a question mark

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a random partition appeared with a question mark: im using windows 10 lately i have a random partition that appeared in my pc with a blue question mark it is unaccessible and all partition i have are named and functioning properlyand also my pc start doing disk repair every time i launch the pc i didnt find any solution i...
  4. a random partition appeared with a question mark

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My question is can I create a partition from my C drive and migrate my OS to it so I can...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My question is can I create a partition from my C drive and migrate my OS to it so I can...: I accidentally changed my C drive to dynamic disk. My laptop is newly formatted so I won't have problems deleting the volume of C drive to partition it. I want to revert it back to basic so I won't have problem formatting my device when needed. But without any clear guides I...
  6. My question is can I create a partition from my C drive and migrate my OS to it so I can...

My question is can I create a partition from my C drive and migrate my OS to it so I can...: I accidentally changed my C drive to dynamic disk. My laptop is newly formatted so I won't have problems deleting the volume of C drive to partition it. I want to revert it back to basic so I won't have problem formatting my device when needed. But without any clear guides I...
  7. My question is can I create a partition from my C drive and migrate my OS to it so I can...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My question is can I create a partition from my C drive and migrate my OS to it so I can...: I accidentally changed my C drive to dynamic disk. My laptop is newly formatted so I won't have problems deleting the volume of C drive to partition it....
  8. Osama Ali Question on How to Rename /Renumber partitions Aomei VS windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Osama Ali Question on How to Rename /Renumber partitions Aomei VS windows: It's best to use all Aomei tools. Use Aomei Backupper 6,8 not 6.9 to create a new WINPE environment called Aomei Recovery using tools menu. Partition Master 9.8 and you can still get Onekey Recovery 1.6.2 Free. Unless You Pay you can purchase the latest versions. Aomei writes...
  9. Osama Ali Question on How to Rename /Renumber partitions Aomei VS windows

Osama Ali Question on How to Rename /Renumber partitions Aomei VS windows: It's best to use all Aomei tools. Use Aomei Backupper 6,8 not 6.9 to create a new WINPE environment called Aomei Recovery using tools menu. Partition Master 9.8 and you can still get Onekey Recovery 1.6.2 Free. Unless You Pay you can purchase the latest versions. Aomei writes...
  10. Osama Ali Question on How to Rename /Renumber partitions Aomei VS windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade