Windows 10: Partition scheme win10 x64 family, uefi and secure boot ?

Discus and support Partition scheme win10 x64 family, uefi and secure boot ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm currently reinstalling entirely windows 10 x64 with uefi , hardware fast boot, and secureboot. I'm a bit confused because win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Elbern, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Elbern Win User

Partition scheme win10 x64 family, uefi and secure boot ?

Hello,

I'm currently reinstalling entirely windows 10 x64 with uefi , hardware fast boot, and secureboot.

I'm a bit confused because win 10 installer set:

Recovery on partition 1
    System on partition 2 (win re)
    MSR (not formated) 3
    Then System (c*Smile at end of the other partitions.

First, contrary to every microsoft guides for win 10,
    WIn 10 installer set Recovery at the left side of the drive.

Usually in win 10, it should be set at end ( right) just after C: so windows 10 can shrink the partition to let for future usage, win RE expand.

I would like to know if it's a good feature or a bug.

Next is it normal on a samsung F3 512gb 512k sector, efi fat 32 partition been selected as a 99MB ?

Usually it's 260mB for 4k sectors, and 128Mb on my old win 7 install.

I would like to know if i have to manually format the hard drive and set partition so Win re is at end, and Efi been larger ?

Thanks a lot.

:)

Elbern, Aug 25, 2015

2. HELP! no visable way out

If you have an EFI system, you need to select GPT partition scheme for UEFI in Rufus. Two more additional points:

1. Legacy boot must be disabled and UEFI boot should only be enabled. If you currently do not have EFI system, select MBR in Rufus.

2. Secure boot should be disabled and all Security keys should also be cleared.

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Enable UEFI without formatting Windows 10 Home OS

It's the other way round: The GPT partitioning scheme needs the UEFI boot mode.

Why do you actually need to set the BIOS to UEFI mode?

Frederik Long, Aug 25, 2015
  4. genet Win User

Partition 1 (450 MB) Recovery Partition - Windows Recovery Environment tools and utilities.

Partition 2 (99/100/260 MB) EFI System Partition - UEFI firmware loads files stored on the EFI System partition to start installed operating systems.

Partition 3 (16 MB) Microsoft Reserved Partition - This partition not visible within Windows Disk Management.

Partition 4 - Primary Partition

Partition scheme win10 x64 family, uefi and secure boot ? [​IMG]

genet, Aug 25, 2015
  5. Before installing, turn OFF
    Secure boot
    Fast boot

You can turn them back on after the install if you want
    - Secure boot probably, it's a good security feature.
    - Fast Boot - maybe, I think it's just a hibernation methodology, but some hybrid drives have different mechanisms.

Take a look at this page for from the horses mouth partitioning information

Recommended UEFI-Based Disk-Partition Configurations

I'm not sure MS has updated all of their pages for Win10 yet. The WinRE partition for example is documented at 300 MB, but a Win10 Clean install might set it to 450 MB (varying reports and experiences).

If you're doing a clean install, wipe your drive and let Windows do the partitioning
    Do not pre-allocate the partitions, just install Clean on unallocated space and let Windows figure it out.

Here's a modified batch file that pre-allocates the drive per MS documentation & experiences installing Windows 10.
    I don't pre-allocate partitions, I let Windows do the heavy lifting *Wink --------------- WARNING ---------------

This batch file wipes drive 0
    All data will be erased from the drive
    Code: Diskpart rem -------------------------------------------------------- rem ---- Wipe the drive - this is a destructive process ---- rem rem -------- ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED FROM THE DRIVE -------- rem rem -------------------------------------------------------- select disk 0 clean convert gpt rem -------------------------------------------------------- rem ----- Windows RE tools partition ----------------------- rem rem create partition primary size=300 rem -------------------------------------------------------- create partition primary size=450 format quick fs=ntfs label="WinRE tools" set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac" assign letter=T rem -------------------------------------------------------- rem ----- System partition --------------------------------- rem rem create partition efi size=100 rem rem -------------------------------------------------------- rem NOTE: 4KB / sector drives rem -------------------------------------------------------- rem create partition efi size=260 rem rem -------------------------------------------------------- create partition efi size=260 format quick fs=fat32 label="System" assign letter=S rem -------------------------------------------------------- rem ----- Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition --------------- rem -------------------------------------------------------- create partition msr size=128 rem -------------------------------------------------------- rem ----- Windows & Recovery Image partitions -------------- rem -------------------------------------------------------- rem --- Windows partition create partition primary rem --- Reclaim space from the Windows partition to be rem --- used for the Recovery Image partition shrink minimum=15000 rem --- Prepare the Windows partition format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows" assign letter=W rem --- Recovery image partition create partition primary format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery image" assign letter=R list volume exit[/quote] Bill

Slartybart, Aug 25, 2015
  6. Elbern Win User
    Hello again,

I thank you very much for all the answers.

I choosed already let windows manage the partition, and everything is like described on genet and Slartybart post.

I'm really happy, i kept my pictures on a kubuntu laptop so i can recover them.
    I lost all my game saves and non important data, but now instead of all my Win re msr and uefi after C: it's all in place in right order and place.

I had a problem with win 10 repair before, it sayd whn i choosed from dvd or win re partition, that wersion or recovery tool is not compatible with this version of windows.

Full reinstall fixed it aswell.
    And about not possible to log to a microsoft account, grey box, not possible to create a new user ?

Everything work fine now.

So a bad thing happend about wiping almost non important data, but now i have a fresh install *Smile

Elbern, Aug 25, 2015
  7. Elbern Win User
    Ok,

I had problem with head parking i could hear at boot, then more and more often while playing game (loud click like when you open a soda can) Reinstalling and before formating with dd command and 1mb for hours fixed the problkem maybe temporary.

Elbern, Aug 25, 2015
  8. Partition scheme win10 x64 family, uefi and secure boot ?

You should probably check your drive for errors, just to be sure.

Launch a Command Prompt (Admin)

Method Screen
    x-Menu
    Right click the Windows logo on the task bar

Select Command Prompt (Admin)
    and yes to the UAC prompt

Search: command
    Press the Windows key on your keyboard

Type command

Right click the search result: Command Prompt

Select Run as administrator
    and yes to the UAC prompt

File Explorer: File menu
    Press the blue File menu on any open File Explorer
    Hover over Command Prompt
    or press the arrow to expand the selection

Select Open command prompt as administrator

This is a useful way to launch a batch or script file
    in a particular folder with elevated privileges.

Then run Chkdsk twice, a read-only scan and a fix operation.

The read-only scan often changes some low-level drive setting (the dirty bit?). I'm not sure why, but it only is effective when you run a read-only scan ... it has helped on a few of my questionable drives.

The Fix scan actually looks for File System integrity issues. Most common are free space or Security descriptors that point no where - Chkdsk easily fixes those and they aren't really a concern unless the occur often.

Run Check Disk read-only scan first (no run-time parameters)

chkdsk C:

Run Check Disk with fix errors (/F parameter). If prompted to schedule the scan for the next boot, answer yes. Restart your machine and Check Disk runs before Windows fully loads.

chkdsk C: /F

Check disk information is written to Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application
    Expand Windows Logs and right click the Application log
    Select Find and enter Chkdsk in the search field
    There is some information way in the back of my head about parked heads - I'll see if I can recall what it was. If the issue does not occur again, that would be best *Wink

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Partition scheme win10 x64 family, uefi and secure boot ? - Similar Threads - Partition scheme win10

2. Dual Boot Win7/Win10 BSOD to Win10 UEFI partition, Win10UEFI USB, Win10UEFI DVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Win7/Win10 BSOD to Win10 UEFI partition, Win10UEFI USB, Win10UEFI DVD: I have a dual boot Win10/Win7 GPT SSD. I installed Win7 first, used shrink volume to create a partition and installed Win10.It has worked great and gives me an option which OS to boot into.Recently I have done something to create a BSOD kmode exception not handled going into...
  3. Dual Boot Win7/Win10 BSOD to Win10 UEFI partition, Win10UEFI USB, Win10UEFI DVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot Win7/Win10 BSOD to Win10 UEFI partition, Win10UEFI USB, Win10UEFI DVD: I have a dual boot Win10/Win7 GPT SSD. I installed Win7 first, used shrink volume to create a partition and installed Win10.It has worked great and gives me an option which OS to boot into.Recently I have done something to create a BSOD kmode exception not handled going into...
  4. Secure boot state off, but Secure boot is on in UEFI settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secure boot state off, but Secure boot is on in UEFI settings: Hello, I have been trying to play Valorant, but every time I launch the game I get an error stating that TPM and secure boot need to be enabled. To start, I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-52KW running windows 11 The UEFI/BIOS I have is Insydeh20 setup utility version 2.06 I...
  5. UEFI Secure boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI Secure boot: hi guys...pls help meif i need windows 11 then it tells me to enable secure boot....but if i go to my BIOS and enable my secure boot it should show my desktop....but it is showing something to setup........
  6. Partition scheme is in a mess

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition scheme is in a mess: When I started out my partition scheme looked like this in Easeus Partition Master. I was unable to get into recovery. I ran cmd reagentc /info. It said it was disabled. I attempted to enable it but it said there was no recovery. (However, there are 2 partitions of approx....
  7. UEFI Secure Boot questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  8. UEFI with secure boot disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI with secure boot disabled: I ran a Belarc analysis and it showed a notification that the " UEFI with secure boot is disabled ".Is this a default setting or does it need to be enabled?I looked at the boot settings but was unable to figure out how to resolve this issue.I am not one who likes to guess at...
  9. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...
  10. Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI: Hi, So I thought I'd sling a new disk in my system. And then the OS wasn't seeing it so instead of looking in disk manager I just swapped the cables for my D: drive and powered on. The boot config was missing and Win 10 wouldn't boot. Somehow my D: drive had been set as a...