Windows 10: Partitioning C drive Bricked My PC

Discus and support Partitioning C drive Bricked My PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Machine: Acer Aspire Switch 11v SW5 173 648Z Ok, I forgot you can't just partition C drive on a Windows 10 tablet with EFI partition and the newer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Master Blaster, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Partitioning C drive Bricked My PC

Machine: Acer Aspire Switch 11v SW5 173 648Z

Ok, I forgot you can't just partition C drive on a Windows 10 tablet with EFI partition and the newer boot system like yesteryear. I used Paragon HDM to partition 128gb ssd C drive into 40gb and 78gb partitions. No more boot-up. Only boot to Recovery/Trouble Shooting environment and nothing I tried fixed it. I spent several days researching and trying a ton of things including Command Prompt boot partiton and boot file fixes and nothing worked. So I just used MS Media Creation Tool to do a clean install of the new Window 10 (1703) and it auto fixed the boot partition and boot files. Soooooo...

I would like to do it again (partition 128gb ssd C drive into 40gb and 78gb partitions) but I would like to avoid crashing my Boot Party again. Can someone explain to me what happened to the boot when I partitioned the C drive and how to avoid that?

This is an interesting page:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ive-partitions

This is a quote from the page:
    "The recommended partition layout for Windows 10 does not include data partitions. However, if data partitions are required, they should be placed after the Windows RE partition. This allows future updates to Windows RE to grow the Windows RE partition by shrinking the Windows partition." Couldn't find anything about how not to jack the boot system.

:)

Master Blaster, Apr 8, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Disk Management

OK, your recovery partition has been wiped and set as unallocated space, did you remove all partitions when you reinstalled Windows 10?

To get back this space now you will have to use third party software, due to the location of the partition on the drive Windows or DiskPart will not be able to merge it with your C drive as it is not to the right hand side of your C drvie.

Click HERE to download the Free version of AOMEI Partition Assistant, it is the best free partitioning software, it is easy to use and does a great job.

Using AOMEI, create an NTFS partition on the unallocated space and then merge it with your C drive

NOTE: take it slow and steady, make sure you are formatting the correct partition and merging to the correct partition - it is very easy to click on the wrong partition and brick your system . . .

DaveM121, Apr 8, 2017
  3. John Fer Win User
    resetting windows 10

Hi,

Please note that if there are multiple partitions when reset PC is performed, operating system will be installed in Drive C: and other partitions will not be configured unless specified. Also, reset my PC option will be installed in Drive C: by default unless
    specified otherwise.

Let us know if you need additional help.

John Fer, Apr 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Partitioning C drive Bricked My PC

I like MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online

In the program, right click on the C: drive partition, select Move/Resize. Shrink the partition by clicking and dragging the right end boundary. In the newly created empty space after the C: drive partition, create your new partition. Click apply and MiniTool will reboot the computer/tablet and do the shrinking of C: drive before Windows loads on the reboot.

If you are going to shrink the OS partition that small, you might want to compact the OS before or after you shrink it. Run the following in a Command Prompt (Admin):

compact /compactos:always

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2017
  5. Thanks bro, but that's what I did. I think it has something to do with the Recovery Partition. I think the Recovery Partition has to be right next to C drive in order to boot properly. I could be wrong but I think there is a different correct way to split the C drive without interrupting the boot process in the GPT type systems that have a 100mb EFI partition and 500mb Recovery partition on either side of C drive.

Master Blaster, Apr 8, 2017
  6. There is solution.

1) Make a full backup of your C:/ drive. Use a backup tool that allows you to restore a partition only where C: is.
    2) make a bootable usb with Windows 10 iso
    3) Reinstall Windows 10 and select advanced and delete all partitions, and let the installer create the partions it needs.
    4) Once Windows is re-installed, boot your backup software and restore only the C: drive from your backup.

reboot/enjoy

Next time, make a full backup of all partitions from a working system before partitioning. *Wink

positronic, Apr 10, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Whether or not there is a recovery, nor the position of the recovery partition has anything at all to do with the computer booting in EFI or legacy BIOS mode. The easiest way to fix your problem is to make a bootable USB flash drive of Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums

Once booted into Kyhi's Recovery Tools from the USB flash drive there is a program called Macrium Reflect. Run Macrium Reflect and under the restore menu is a utility to fix Windows startup problems. That will fix you up in a couple seconds.

NavyLCDR, Apr 10, 2017
  8. Partitioning C drive Bricked My PC

Bro, from my first post above: "So I just used MS Media Creation Tool to do a clean install of the new Window 10 (1703) and it auto fixed the boot partition and boot files. Soooooo..."

I have 2 of these Acer Switch 11v's and this one I'm going to use strictly as a Media Player plugged into my TV. That's why I want a small 40gb C drive and the rest of the 128gb ssd drive partitioned for media in case anything happens to C I don't lose all my movies. Reinstalling auto fixed my EFI boot partition and boot files.

If I "...select advanced and delete all partitions, and let the installer create the partitions it needs", it will auto create the 100mb EFI partition, the C partition and the 500mb recovery partition and I'll be right back to Windows 10 stock layout for a tablet with a GPT system. What I need to do is split the C drive into 2 partitions without jacking the boot again.

Master Blaster, Apr 10, 2017
  9. Ah sorry, missed the part where you said the issue was solved.

I also partitioned my main drive, but I did it when I installed Windows 10, leaving the empty space as unused until booting and quickly formatting the partition via Windows disk manager to suit my needs.

Im not a fan of having to install applications to do backups or partitioning since the built in ones can be used fine for basic usage. I rather in any case have boot disks to perform repair tasks and backups in case something is preventing the system from booting or other unforeseen issues.

positronic, Apr 10, 2017
  10. Thanks bro, this is a nice set of tools I'll have for future use.

I contacted support @ MiniTool Partition Wizard about this issue and they said that Windows 10 on a tablet with GPT system works a bit differently than a regular Laptop or Desktop. They said most 3rd party partitioning progs are not set up yet to deal with this small flash/ssd drive tablet partitioning scheme. They recommended using the Win10 tablet's built in Disk Management as it's designed to deal with this different drive scheme. So I just tried it and it worked fine. It split my C drive into 2 partitions, C and D drive and it booted back up just fine. The only thing is it wouldn't let me shrink the C to anything less that 61gb for some reason. I would have preferred 40gb for C drive as this 2nd Switch 11 will be used only as a Media Player connected to my TV. But this will work fine. It gives me a D drive with 57gb for my fav movies separate from the system drive.

Just a thought here: When I used the partitioning program part of Paragon's Hard Disk Manager Suite I used the "Split Partition Wizard" feature instead the "Resize Partition" feature. It accomplishes the same thing but with "Resize" it leaves the extra as unallocated space to be formatted to another partition as the "Split Wizard" does it all in one process. Maybe using "Split" instead of "Resize" or "Shrink" jacked the boot system. Or maybe the boot got jacked because I originally chose 40gb for the C drive and for some reason the system wouldn't allow it, as when I just now used Windows Disk Management it wouldn't let me go below 61gb. Somehow maybe it affected the tablet's GPT boot system. Not sure about that.

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Hmmm.....interesting find, Master Blaster. I shall have to do some playing with my 32gb tablet now.

NavyLCDR, Apr 10, 2017
  12. Now that you mention it, I have an Acer 8" W4 64gb tablet I don't use much anymore that I'm going to try and see what happens.

13. Partitioning C drive Bricked My PC

As I mentioned before, if using "Split" instead of "Resize" or "Shrink" jacked the boot partition and boot system or the boot got jacked because I originally chose 40gb for the C drive and for some reason the system wouldn't allow that small of a C partition, either way, maybe that's why the tools I previously used and the Command Prompt fixes wouldn't work. It may have jacked the EFI boot partition and boot files enough that only a complete Windows reinstall that auto repartitions everything properly is what works. In a tablet with a GPT EFI partitioning scheme the tablet boots to the EFI partition, not the Windows C drive.

14. Bree New Member
    File fragments, possibly. This may be a case where defragmenting an ssd makes sense...

15. Yeah, I did that in the Win10 Disk Management. It recognized it as an SSD drive so it does what it calls "Optimize".

As to the not allowing under 61gb, it said it can't shrink past where there are "permanent files residing".
    A drag since my C drive only took up 22gb of use.

Thema:

Partitioning C drive Bricked My PC

1. Partitioning C drive Bricked My PC - Similar Threads - Partitioning drive Bricked

2. Is my PC bricked?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my PC bricked?: Hi I’m running Win10 on my hp laptop. I’ve had since 2019 It recently updated but the update caused problems. Crashes, unplayable video etc. I went to restore the system to before the update but forgot to plug in the computer and system restore failed due to battery death....
  3. Partitioning of C Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning of C Drive: I have 210 GB free space with a C drive of 251 GB. I have been trying to create a separate partition of 100 GB and 151 GB will be left on C drive. I find that shrink volume is only 1.50 GB. Pease help me if it is possible to partition and what steps do I need to follow....
  4. Partitioning of C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitioning of C Drive: I have 210 GB free space with a C drive of 251 GB. I have been trying to create a separate partition of 100 GB and 151 GB will be left on C drive. I find that shrink volume is only 1.50 GB. Pease help me if it is possible to partition and what steps do I need to follow....
  5. Partitioning of C Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Is my PC bricked?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is my PC bricked?: So... I wanted to reset my PC, because I was going to sell it, and I decided to reset to factory settings. During the process, the power cut out, after power came back, I turned the PC on, and it kept showing that nothing was reset. After restarting, I tried to reset once...
  7. Partition of the drive c

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partition of the drive c: I have purchased a laptop with memory 1 TB, NOW IN C drive 908 Gb in whcih 883 free available in c drive, now i want to make partition of c drive like on c drive 200 GB AND remaining in d and e drive each 340Gb , but when shrinking the existing drive showing the fillowing...
  8. c drive partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    c drive partition: Hi I'm using DELL Vostro 5468. it came preinstalled with windows 10. I got 405 GB free (out of 462 GB ) in my C drive. I wish to use 200 GB for Ubuntu which I'm going to use with dual boot. The issue is I cant shrink the C drive , when I try to shrink it says only 1.2 GB...
  9. C drive partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive partition: I recently bought a new laptop, which has windows 10 home single language inbuilt. It has only C drive and no other partitions at the time of purchase. Now I want to make C into more partitions, But it is not possible to split the C drive. I have tried so many times by Disk...
  10. Partitions on C Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partitions on C Drive: I am not sure how or when this occurred but I somehow seem to have ended up with 2 Healthy (recovery partition) both of which are different sizes. [img] I assume I don't need both, but how do I determine which is being used? Anyone?? TIA 45965