Windows 10: partitioning hard drive

Discus and support partitioning hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; While I had windows XP I partitioned my hard drive and had ubuntu running side-by-side with windows. When I tried that with windows Vista ubuntu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by unktim, Jul 19, 2016.

1. unktim Win User

partitioning hard drive

While I had windows XP I partitioned my hard drive and had ubuntu running side-by-side with windows.
    When I tried that with windows Vista ubuntu wiped out everything and took over the whole drive.
    How can I partition my hard drive and install ubuntu without losing win 10? I have a solid state drive if that makes any difference.

:)

unktim, Jul 19, 2016

2. Bootmgr is missing message or black screen with blinking cursor or Your PC/Device needs to be repaired (Error code: 0xc0000098) or error code: 0xc0000102

If Windows loads with the second hard drive disconnected and fails to load with it connected, then check to see if there is a "System" partition on the 2nd drive. If there is then delete the System partition on the 2nd hard drive.

Only the Windows drive (1st hard drive) should have a 'System' partition as the contents of this partition tells the computer where the C:\Windows partition is located.

J W Stuart, Jul 19, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    What partition for clean installation of Windows 10 64-bit should be used?

A clean install should be done to the C drive. This drive typically is called the SYSTEM drive or the Local Disk drive.

A quick guide through the maze:

1- In the binary system, "0" is the first number. That's why the first hard drive is Drive 0.

2- A hard drive can be divided ("partitioned") into two or more areas called partitions. If a hard drive is not partitioned, it is said to have only one partition.

Your computer has a single hard drive - Drive 0 - which has been divided into two partitions: Partition1 and Partition 2, But why - you may ask - is the first partition not Partition 0? Before the first partition starts, there's space on the hard drive to
    store technical data ('metadata') about the hard drive.

Clear as mud? Watch out, it's gonna get worse:

3- Each partition is commonly associated with a letter. Windows is usually installed in the first partition of the first hard drive. This is the C partition, or the C drive, if the hard drive only has one partition.

(You may ask: What are the A and B drives? Those letters are no longer used - they're part of computing history.)

4- In addition to a letter, you can optionally assign a name ('label') to each partition. The C drive or partition is traditionally called the System drive or the Local Disk drive. You can give it any name you like, or no name. But it's always a good idea
    to label each partition. The letters can become re-arranged, but the labels always stay in the same place.

Here's a clean install bonus tip for no extra charge: If you format the C drive before do a clean install, you won't have a Windows.old folder on your hard drive taking up space for the next 30 days.

Have fun.

BulldogXX, Jul 19, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

partitioning hard drive

I am assuming that you have Windows 10 installed using MBR partition scheme.
    • Download and install Macrium Reflect Free . Make a backup image of current Windows to an external HD, just in case things go wrong then you can restore Windows back to the way it was,
    • From Disk Management, shrink your HD for UBUNTU installation, usually 20GB is enough.
    • Follow this Video to install UBUNTU. This procedure separates GRUB and Windows Boot Manager so that if any update from either OS won't interfere with each other.
      [youtube]xlTgaWs9BD0[/youtube]

topgundcp, Jul 19, 2016
  5. unktim Win User
    topgundcp:

That video was amazing! Unfortunately, it will be a long time before I can report my results to you. At 74 I have to go over new material
    many times before I can put it all together. I loved ubuntu and mint but I didn't seem to be able to learn much. Even copying and pasting commands did not work well for me. I have been away from linux for two years and am still having nightmares about tarballs
    but every couple of years I get bitten by the linux bug. I am told that there is no lasting cure, only periods of remission. Please let me know if you have any others available or if you make any new ones. Your new fan,

unktim, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

partitioning hard drive

1. partitioning hard drive - Similar Threads - partitioning hard drive

2. Partitioning a Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitioning a Hard drive: Hi, I recently installed a new HDD and was hoping to create a partition in order to keep my programs separated for organisation reasons. If anybody knows how to create a hard drive partition in windows 11 then I would appreciate the help a lot thanks. x...
  3. Partitioning a Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning a Hard drive: Hi, I recently installed a new HDD and was hoping to create a partition in order to keep my programs separated for organisation reasons. If anybody knows how to create a hard drive partition in windows 11 then I would appreciate the help a lot thanks. x...
  4. Hard Drive partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive partition: I have preloaded windows on my new laptop. How to partition my 1TB hard disk without losing my data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-partition/b262ef77-82ee-4640-b5ed-34be8176ede0
  5. Partitioning Hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Partitioning Hard drive: My hard disk performance is reduced drastically. Will partion help to increase performance. My pc is old and so hard disk. I only use it to store video files and other data....
  6. Hard drive partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive partitions: I cloned my 1TB hard drive to my 4TB hard drive and there are 2 unallocated sotrage I can allocate one but I can't do anything with the other they are at C: 930.94GB G: 1116.49GB leaving me with 1678.02GB that I can't allocate or merge with any of the other 2 or merge all 3...
  7. Hard Drive Partitioning

Hard Drive Partitioning: Good day Team. I have a system that came with 16GB, and 256 SSD. WINDOWS 10 PRO VERSION: 1909 OS BUILD: 18363.815 MODEL: LENOVO THINKPAD T450 Please how do I PARTITION the hard drive? Thank you....
  8. Hard Drive Partition

Hard Drive Partition: I have a hard drive from an old laptop that I would like to create a virtual machine for on my current laptop. What would be the best process to partition the drive on my Windows 10 to do this?...
  9. Combine Hard Drive Partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Combine Hard Drive Partitions: I am trying to combine my C: with D:. There are 3 other partitions on the drive and I'm not sure which partitions it is safe to delete or combine. 1st Partition: 1.36 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition) 2nd Partition: 518 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) 3rd Partition:...
  10. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    partitioning hard drive: hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options. many thanks to all that...