Windows 10: Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

Discus and support Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I intend to partition a hard drive I'll be buying to install Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on each partition but I don't want to lose my data after I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by abecharles, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

I intend to partition a hard drive I'll be buying to install Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on each partition but I don't want to lose my data after I've installed Windows 7 and then 8.1 or maybe install the Windows 10 preview 32 bit. I am not going to install Windows 8.1 or 10 Test version as yet gonna have the second partition available but when I install 8.1 I don't want to lose the files I have on Windows 7 partition. I partitioned my hard drive this way successfully in 2009 with Vista and Windows 7 but that was five years ago and that may have been using a Windows built in tool, don't remember the details. How do I partition without losing my data? What's the procedure like and what software can I use?

:)

abecharles, Nov 9, 2014

2. Can I use the same External Hard Drive to make a recovery disk for 2 systems and how to restore data?

And also how can I create a recovery drive on the external hard drive without losing my data already on the external drive?

ArshdeepSingh_B, Nov 9, 2014
  3. PaterFrog Win User
    Windows 10 + remove Raid1 + SSD about to be broken

Hey there,

I'm currently using Win7, want to upgrade to Win10. My OS is running on an SSD, which is about to end its life and may break on me any day now. I have two 2,5 TB HDs in a Raid1 configuration, which I want to dissolve anyway, preferably without losing data.

In other words, I wish to install Win 10 on another hard drive, but this hard drive is currently still in a Raid1. I need to undo the Raid without losing data (definitely possible with this type), format one of the two hard drives, make it a system partition
    and install Win10 on it.

My question is, how do I go about this so I don't break anything? I'd appreciate if somebody with experience could help me.

Thank you

PaterFrog, Nov 9, 2014
  4. Charlie Win User

Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

Charlie, Nov 9, 2014
  5. Phone Man Win User
    Phone Man, Nov 9, 2014
  6. georgeks Win User
    georgeks, Nov 9, 2014
  7. When you install Win8.1 after having already installed Win7, you won't lose files from the Win7 partition, but Win8.1 will overwrite the boot loader code in Win7 with its own code. After that, when you boot, you'll get an OS selection screen with an entry for Win8.1 and an entry for Win7.

Mark Phelps, Nov 10, 2014
  8. Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

Hi Mark, thanks for the tip. But what software are you specifically referring to for me to do this? I need one concrete program or another to use. I have been getting lots of suggestions from people in this thread but I need to know which program you are referring to specifically to get this done in the way you are describing as I want to do this when I get the hard drive in less than two weeks.

abecharles, Nov 10, 2014
  9. badrobot Win User
    Download any of the suggested programs above and fire up Youtube for a step by step instruction. Easus is a good software. But I personally use MiniTool Partition Wizard.

It will only take 5 minutes to become a professional hard drive partitioner. *Smile

badrobot, Nov 11, 2014
  10. You don't need to do this yourself. When you install Win8 after already having Win7 installed, the Win8 installer will find Win7, and its boot loader files, and will automatically do these updates for you. What is harder to do is to prevent this from happening so that each of the OS versions has its own set of boot loader files.

Mark Phelps, Nov 11, 2014
  11. Before doing anything, be sure to backup your data!

Lady Fitzgerald, Nov 11, 2014
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    Very important.

Usually these utilities work with no issues. But occasionally they do fail, with potentially disastrous results for your data.
    You cannot rely on recovery methods.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

1. Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data - Similar Threads - Partitioning Hard Drive

2. How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?: On occasion I have tried to copy files to a MSFT standard folder but get an error there is not space.This is due to the folder is located in a partition, with other folders, that is to small to hold all the data.I have to copy the files to a "data" folder.So I would like to...
  3. How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?: On occasion I have tried to copy files to a MSFT standard folder but get an error there is not space.This is due to the folder is located in a partition, with other folders, that is to small to hold all the data.I have to copy the files to a "data" folder.So I would like to...
  4. How do I combine partitions into one partition, without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to re-partition a hard drive in Windows 10 without erasing data

in Windows 10 News
    How to re-partition a hard drive in Windows 10 without erasing data: [ATTACH]On purchasing a brand new computer, the hard drive usually has a single partition. […] This article How to re-partition a hard drive in Windows 10 without erasing data first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Fix Unallocated Hard Drive without losing Data in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Unallocated Hard Drive without losing Data in Windows 10: [ATTACH]An Unallocated disk or drive is one that hasn’t been assigned any drive letter. […] This article Fix Unallocated Hard Drive without losing Data in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Moving Windows to another partition without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows to another partition without losing data: Hello. I bought a new SSD and I need to transfer windows from my old HDD on it without losing data. Actually, my windows is on C: partition HDD and I want to move it to S: partition SSD and I don't know how. I need help, thank you....
  8. Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?: Long story short: - I bought two 12 TB WD external USB 3.0 hard drives. My plan was to back up all my data to one, and mirror that back up to another. I have been researching hard drive mirroring software. We'll call them "Main External" and "Back Up." - In the mean time, I...
  9. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...
  10. LOST PARTITIONS AND DATA of my Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LOST PARTITIONS AND DATA of my Hard Disk Drive: Accidently i cleaned up my hard disk drive on windows 10. And lost all partitions, became only partion now and another is as named Re Tools. How to restore my all lost partitions and data as it was. i have a recovery drive using file history....