Windows 10: Partitioning Program Files/Program Files(x86) from Windows 10 install?

Discus and support Partitioning Program Files/Program Files(x86) from Windows 10 install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In the coming week I will be installing Windows 10 Home on my new computer. I will be using an SSD and an HDD, the SSD for the OS, programs and games... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tommygunn, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Tommygunn Win User

Partitioning Program Files/Program Files(x86) from Windows 10 install?

In the coming week I will be installing Windows 10 Home on my new computer. I will be using an SSD and an HDD, the SSD for the OS, programs and games and the HDD for photos, music and all the other slow stuff.
    So, my question. In case the OS were to ever get corrupted, or I had to reinstall the OS for any other reason, is it possible to have the SSD set up as follows; Partition 1 - OS, Partition 2 - Program Files/Program Files((x86) plus other associated folders/files) and Partition 3 for my games, so that any re-install does not wipe out my already installed programs?

I had no problem doing this in with my XP desktop(OS in C and Progs in D, although not perfect, but was never able to do it with Windows 7.

Can it be done?

Tom.

:)

Tommygunn, Nov 1, 2017
  2. Anju Thekkethil, Nov 1, 2017
  3. KentEnnis Win User
    Program Files (x86) (x86)

I have folders for program files, program files (x86) and program files (x86) (x86). Believe the program files (x86) (x86) is based on loading an incompatible Lexmark printer software as the only folder within is Lexmark 3500-4500 series. Tried to delete
    folder but states "action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. I have uninstalled all associated printer/software from system but can't seem to delete this folder. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thx

KentEnnis, Nov 1, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Create an image with Macrium Reflect when you're all done and happy with Windows. Store the image on the hard drive.

If you`re gonna install in UEFI mode, make sure you image all the necessary partitions.

And then make images every 2 weeks or whenever you want

You`ll never have to reinstall windows again *Smile

Do not put any programs on another partition, install them on C

AddRAM, Nov 1, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    The games may be OK (depends what they are) but the installed programs in Program Files/Program Files((x86) won't work properly (or at all?) because you'll have lost all the registry settings created by their installer with the re-install.

Bree, Nov 1, 2017
  6. Tommygunn Win User
    Ok, thanks for the info, I'll just have to stick it out then.

AddRAM,
    I'll have a look at Macrium.

Cheers,
    Tom.

Tommygunn, Nov 2, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Really not a good idea to put pogram files directory in a separate partition.

Just use two - one for OS+non portable programs, one for data (plus portable programs if you like - can be on either partition).

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Partitioning Program Files/Program Files(x86) from Windows 10 install? - Similar Threads - Partitioning Program Files

2. How to delete Program files, program files x86 and windows apps from previous install on...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete Program files, program files x86 and windows apps from previous install on...: I recently installed Windows on an SSD and am now using the old system drive for storage. I didn't want to reformat the drive since it still has a few hundred gb of things I don't want to redownload on it. I've tried getting admin access from trustedinstaller and all that but...
  3. Installing Programs into "Mock" Program Files (x86)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Programs into "Mock" Program Files (x86)?: So I've been doing this for three years now without ever stopping to ask if it was a smart idea. I have a laptop that came with a 256 GB SSD (the C: drive onto which Windows was installed) and a 1TB SSHD (which came defined as the D: drive). I noticed the C: drive was getting...
  4. Duplicate installations in Program Files and Program Files (x86)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate installations in Program Files and Program Files (x86): I have a x64 PC, can I delete the duplicate installations of programs in Program Files (x86) that are also installed in Program Files? 157505
  5. Windows 10 - installing to Program Files folder instead of Program Files x86

Windows 10 - installing to Program Files folder instead of Program Files x86: I'm having an issue installing an application into the Program Files folder in Windows 10. For some reason, even though I select that folder as the destination, the system instead installs the program to Program Files x86. However unfortunately, it's imperative that I...
  6. Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86): I just installed a software package published by a company that caters mainly to Mac users and (in my opinion) really doesn't understand Windows well. By default, their installer (install.exe) chooses C:\Program Files(x86)\xyz as the install directory, where let's say xyz is...
  7. Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86)

in Windows 10 Support
    Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86): I just installed a software package published by a company that caters mainly to Mac users and (in my opinion) really doesn't understand Windows well. By default, their installer (install.exe) chooses C:\Program Files(x86)\xyz as the install directory, where let's say xyz is...
  8. program files and program files x86

program files and program files x86: what If I mixed program files and program files x86 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-files-and-program-files-x86/0e6ed22e-7f14-4bea-ba3c-65079ee7a563"
  9. Can't delete Programs files and program files x86

Can't delete Programs files and program files x86: I am trying to change what disk i am using so i copied over the program files and program files x86 but i can't delete the old it just says file is still open but nothing else is open...
  10. Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?

in Windows 10 Support
    Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?: Hi, I was wondering how important the two mentioned folders are when installing a software. I know most programs suggest being installed to one of them, but it is really necessary? What happens if I choose another folder? I use the game client Steam for example. It...