Windows 10: Partitioning Woes

Discus and support Partitioning Woes in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Folks... I'm trying to partition a 1 TB drive on my new HP Pavilion 17z, and discovered that Win10 Home set Partition D for Recovery before the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Florida Rene, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Partitioning Woes

Hi Folks...

I'm trying to partition a 1 TB drive on my new HP Pavilion 17z, and discovered that Win10 Home set Partition D for Recovery before the computer arrived.

I'd like to:

1. CHANGE D to R, but Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management won't let me do that -- so how do I accomplish this?

2. THEN shrink C to about 250 GB which I'll only use for programs, fonts, software and normal file processing (no big graphics, movies, or animation, and no docs, no publications, not data), but Win10 says I can't shrink below 463.93 GB. My goal here is to get as much space as possible on a new partition to store backup files from two desktops and my wife's laptop.

I vaguely recall from another thread a few years back that some keen advisors on this forum discussed free third-party software that was pretty reliable for all sorts of partition juggling and renaming, including the ability to move protected files so more space would be usable for shrinking. But my dumb brain can't recall the name of that software or where to get it.

Am I remembering correctly, or am I just in a fog? *Think

Any help would be greatly appreciated as setting up this laptop is vexing to say the least.

Thanks.

:)

Florida Rene, Dec 13, 2017
  2. woes Win User

virus in my memory card

hello everyone,

Need a lil' help..

I recently downloaded a hell lot of things from ovi store,and i apparantly got a virus named 'wADYAjgb.HAG' in my memory card's 'cities' folder,and furtherin a folder 'diskcache'.

I tried deleting it, but it is just that i tap the deleting option...it says 'deleting' but the process wouldnt end.

Tell me some antivirus,some..somethng....!

Help!! Partitioning Woes :(

3. kevineu Win User
    Is my N95 broken... or am I being silly?

Get it SIM free and your woes will go.

kevineu, Dec 13, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Partitioning Woes

We need screenshots from disk manager showing the paritions and details so we can see the layout disk type etc

Samuria, Dec 13, 2017
  5. Thank you. I'll have to figure out a way to do that since I haven't loaded any software at all yet, preferring to wait until partitioning is done.

But I'll figure it out, then transfer the images to my desktop to respond. Back at you shortly...and thanks.

6. spunk Win User
    You can only shrink the C: drive so much, because the unused space is actually used for System Volume Information (ie) System Restore, The Windows Registry, and the Paging File (Virtual Memory) As well as the space they may take up in the future.
    Rather then Shrink the C: drive, why not use the 3TB My Passport E: drive for your backups. If you need more space, then get another external HDD. if you backup to Disk 0 and it ever fails, you will loose Windows and your backups to that disk.

spunk, Dec 13, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member

Partitioning Woes

That Recovery partition (D) doesn't need or should have a letter. Most likely it's factory system restore partition.

CountMike, Dec 13, 2017
  8. I vaguely recall from another thread a few years back that some keen advisors on this forum discussed free third-party software that was pretty reliable for all sorts of partition juggling and renaming, including the ability to move protected files so more space would be usable for shrinking. But my dumb brain can't recall the name of that software or where to get it. This would be so useful. Does it exist? Where can I find it?

Of course! And that is what I'm doing with the 3TB. But being in the heart of hurricane country, we're looking for redundancy. Hence the idea of also having backups on the 17z Laptop means having everything available and ready to go. Just grab the satchel with the laptop and we'll have everything with us in operable, immediately useful shape.

Ah, now it makes sense...but how do I remove that D letter?

9. cereberus Win User
    Disk management, right click on partition, choose option to change drive letter and remove it.

cereberus, Dec 13, 2017
  10. Thank you, but as my initial post said "Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management won't let me do that". The right click only yields "help" for that letter. Help does nothing.

11. cereberus Win User
    Use minitool partition wizard free then.

cereberus, Dec 13, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User

Partitioning Woes

You can use diskpart from command prompt to remove the letter D as recovery shouldn't have a letter.

Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.16299.15 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: X201 DISKPART> select volume D Volume 2 is the selected volume. DISKPART> remove DiskPart successfully removed the drive letter or mount point. DISKPART> exit[/quote]

13. [/quote] Wonderful! I'll do this as soon as I can! Thank you.

And, thank you, cereberus, for your MiniTool suggestion. I'll investigate further.

14. lx07...diskpart was an easy and quick solution to a vexing woe. Many, many thanks. This was really simple and fast.

cereberus...I found MiniTool Partition Magic a bit confusing at first because there's no easy way to find "shrink" in the command structure. But once I caught on, it worked just great. I think all is well. But here is the image of the completed actions. Please let me know if you find any cautions, worries, pitfalls.

And THANK YOU for recommending a tool that did exactly what I needed. Gracias! Merci! Danke!

Partitioning Woes [​IMG]

Florida Rene, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Partitioning Woes

1. Partitioning Woes - Similar Threads - Partitioning Woes

2. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found: Hey, I am receiving 'The Window RE image was not found' on my PC when running reagentc /enable in command prompt . I can see there is a recovery partition so a little stumped.I was attempting the below which has worked on various other...
  3. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found: Hey, I am receiving 'The Window RE image was not found' on my PC when running reagentc /enable in command prompt . I can see there is a recovery partition so a little stumped.I was attempting the below which has worked on various other...
  4. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...: After a recent Windows update, it seems like I've lost access to a partition on my external hard drive. This partition stored important files like work documents and personal photos. I'm worried about recovering it and accessing my data again. My computer runs on Windows....
  6. I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...

I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...: After a recent Windows update, it seems like I've lost access to a partition on my external hard drive. This partition stored important files like work documents and personal photos. I'm worried about recovering it and accessing my data again. My computer runs on Windows....
  7. Can I erase all files from my windows partition, then paste all files from old windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I erase all files from my windows partition, then paste all files from old windows...: Recently I found myself regreting that I did reset my windows 11 since I had lots of usefull software on it and I configured it to the last detail. I have an older ssd that has the backup windows install I was copying my old ssd partitions to the new one. But there is a...
  8. Can I erase all files from my windows partition, then paste all files from old windows...

Can I erase all files from my windows partition, then paste all files from old windows...: Recently I found myself regreting that I did reset my windows 11 since I had lots of usefull software on it and I configured it to the last detail. I have an older ssd that has the backup windows install I was copying my old ssd partitions to the new one. But there is a...
  9. I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any...: I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any data because I have no hdd to backup. How can I do that?...
  10. Argh. Windows Recovery partition woes

in Windows 10 Support
    Argh. Windows Recovery partition woes: So just before the push of the RTM build of 2004 to slow ring, I had deleted my recovery partition. It caused me some issues due to being at the beginning of all my partitions and I was under the impression it would be re-added at the end of the drive upon upgrading to 2004....