Windows 10: Partitions: want to delete D: and expand C: -MiniTool PartitionWizard?

Discus and support Partitions: want to delete D: and expand C: -MiniTool PartitionWizard? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a new system with 2TB harddrive that arrived partitioned with C: drive 223.2 GB; D: drive approx. 1.8 TB. I attempted to delete the D: drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lhgarrett, Aug 16, 2017.

1. lhgarrett Win User

Partitions: want to delete D: and expand C: -MiniTool PartitionWizard?

I have a new system with 2TB harddrive that arrived partitioned with C: drive 223.2 GB; D: drive approx. 1.8 TB. I attempted to delete the D: drive partition, and wanted to move the unallocated space to expand C:

Partitions: want to delete D: and expand C: -MiniTool PartitionWizard? [​IMG]

Can I do this, and if so, how? I attempted to use MiniTool Partition Wizard, and don't know if it's possible with the Drive1, Drive2 situation in attached screenshot. If not possible, what is the procedure for recovering D: (I do not want to reinstall windows).

:)

lhgarrett, Aug 16, 2017
  2. LorWoo Win User

Scan and repair drive at each start up since update 1703 was installed

I used the WinPE version (MiniTool Partition Wizard 10.2.3) to delete (unallocated) the two partitions; the "scan and repair" still occurs.

I found this instruction from Minitool website.

How to Make Windows System Partition Bigger without Losing Files

Should I try to expand C to take up all the unallocated space?

The Minitool screen after the partitions deletion.

LorWoo, Aug 16, 2017
  3. Removing HDD partition

In this case I recommend Minitools Partition Wizard Free. You want to expand the right hand partition leftward. You right click on the one you want to expand. I assumed that Windows was the left-most partition. Partition Wizard is more powerful than
    Disk Management. If Disk Management doesn't like expanding left, use Partition Wizard.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 16, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

You got a problem or two doing as you wish. Looks like Disk 2 with the OS is an SSD drive while Disk 1 is a conventional HDD, or in other words you have 2 drives and for some reason RAID appears to be involved. Personally, in the interest of sanity I wouldn't tamper with things.

Berton, Aug 16, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum. You have two actual disks you have 90 gig free on c so why do you want to expand it? The photos doesnt give us all the info it seems the disk are set as raid but what sort it doesnt say. You could try any free software that is parition recovery to try and get the d drive back.

Do you have any software for raid on the pc or is there any in the bios which will tell us what type of raid you have

Samuria, Aug 16, 2017
  6. Spikeypup Win User
    I would be advised just as mentioned by the other folks, since it is in a RAID config, this may be tricky if things go wrong, not saying they will, but they could. Either way, you may run into issues if the space is fragmented and non-contiguous. The issue is that with one being an SSD I wouldn't recommend a defrag as it will kill a bit of your lifetime on the drive, not much, but it will. You should be able to do an expand or grow on that partition without an issue, but if windows reports that you cannot because there is not enough empty free space, then you will have to defrag it. I recommend using Ultr@defrag to accomplish this, and do a full optimization which will move the data to the back of the partition or the front, depending on where things are, this will allow you to expand it in one direction or the other without trouble. Again though please note that this will be intensive depending on your drives fragmentation and the size of the files being moved and it WILL do some lifetime takeaway on the SSD, it won't be massive and will probably only equate to a few days or weeks of lifetime, but again, I don't know the structure of the filesystem in terms of fragmentation. So just be aware, and of course your mileage may vary and this operation is solely your responsibility and liability, although it should not be an issue, AND should only be done if the software or windows is unable to resize the partition due to files in the area necessary of movement, if windows or the software doesn't report an issue, then you should be OK, I just wanted you to know this in case you ran into the problem and got stuck. Please let us know how it goes should you decide to proceed. Thanks!

Ultr@defrag site: UltraDefrag - An Open Source Defragmenter

Download Direct Link for Windows 64 bit Installer: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ult....bin.amd64.exe
    Download Direct Link For Portable Edition 64-Bit (Does not Install, simply run from extracted folder): http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ult....bin.amd64.zip

Good luck and Cheers!

Spikeypup, Aug 16, 2017
  7. lhgarrett Win User
    I appreciate Berton's naming the challenge clearly. I feel a bit foolish as I read his query about my drives. I'm used to a single conventional drive on an old laptop partitioned only as C:, and I'm new to thinking about SSDs and multiple drives. I was imagining a 2TB "C: drive" like in my old days ;-)

My packing slip from the manufacturer says I have:
    256GB M. 2PCIe x4 SSD
    2TB (conventional) harddrive

Please let me know how to use MiniTool Partition Wizard to recover D: that I ignorantly removed on the conventional drive ;-)

lhgarrett, Aug 16, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

You might right-click the Start button, click Disk Management and look at the large drive, if the partition is gone you can recreate it there and format it.

Berton, Aug 16, 2017
  9. lhgarrett Win User
    I deleted the partition yesterday via Disk Management, so it's gone. I'd appreciate it if specific steps I should take were written here for me to follow to recreate and format it (even if they are basic). I want to do the process correctly, and I appreciate the expertise and guidance from the community here ;-)

lhgarrett, Aug 16, 2017
  10. lhgarrett Win User

lhgarrett, Aug 16, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    Moreover, on ssd, I cannot tell exactly due to image quality, a large vendor recovery partition. You could delete this and move partitions with minitool, and gain that space for c drive.

cereberus, Aug 16, 2017
  12. lhgarrett Win User
    lhgarrett, Aug 16, 2017
  13. lhgarrett Win User

lhgarrett, Aug 16, 2017
  14. AddRAM Win User
    That`s fine, now leave it alone and start storing your data and images of Disk 2 on Disk 1

I would be more worried about what is taking up 131 GB on your ssd. If it`s data then you can start moving it to D.

Have you had this PC long ?

I would not delete any partitions on Disk 2, you may need that recovery partition someday. But one day when you know what you`re doing, then and only then, should you start messing around with your M.2, for now, leave it alone.

I hate how M.2 drives don't show up as Disk 0 *Mad

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Partitions: want to delete D: and expand C: -MiniTool PartitionWizard? - Similar Threads - Partitions delete expand

2. How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...: Hello!I know there have been a lot of questions about this issue but those are either too old or do not apply to my situation.I have two disks: one has 1T space and the other one has 2T. This is a screenshot. Sorry I cannot change language as the system is pre-installed, but...
  3. How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...: Hello!I know there have been a lot of questions about this issue but those are either too old or do not apply to my situation.I have two disks: one has 1T space and the other one has 2T. This is a screenshot. Sorry I cannot change language as the system is pre-installed, but...
  4. Expand partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  5. Expand partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  6. Expand C Drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand C Drive partition: I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude 3540 laptop. It has a 480GB SSD fitted, partitioned as C: & E:. There is about 20GB free of 220GB on C: and about 160GB free of 200GB on E:. In Computer Management, the two partitions are adjacent and there is no unallocated...
  7. Cant expand ssd /C partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant expand ssd /C partition: For some reason i cant expand the partition. Please help im only able to use 28gb [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-expand-ssd-c-partition/d56d74f7-0ac4-43cb-a05e-042a837cf115
  8. Combining C: and D: drive partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Combining C: and D: drive partitions: A couple weeks ago my PC had some problems and i had to send it somewhere to fix it, now when it came back, it has two partitions, and the problem is, D: has way more memory than C: (more precisely, D: has around 850 GB and C: has 150 GB) and I really wanted to combine them...
  9. Expanding C: partition with available unallocated space wants me to convert to dynamic disk.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expanding C: partition with available unallocated space wants me to convert to dynamic disk.: Hello! Recently I have moved my boot drive from an old 160gb one to a newer 500gb hard drive. I wanted to extend the: partition using the unallocated space available. The current partitions on the HDD are as follows: EFI system partition Windows C: Recovery (OEM...
  10. Not letting me expand C; partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not letting me expand C; partition: I attempted to remove some memory from my D; partition to the C; partition, but it wont allow me to expand the C; partition. I am sure they are on the same hard drive and don't understand what the problem is. It says I have 600 gb of unallocated memory but it wont let me...