Windows 10: Pass credential phase of logon takes ~10 sec

Discus and support Pass credential phase of logon takes ~10 sec in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm running CB Enterprise Win10 x64, bound to a domain which uses active directory authentication. When I type in my pass and hit enter, nothing... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by nraney, Oct 15, 2015.

1. nraney Win User

Pass credential phase of logon takes ~10 sec

I'm running CB Enterprise Win10 x64, bound to a domain which uses active directory authentication. When I type in my pass and hit enter, nothing happens for about 10 seconds, then it takes me in. The cursor even stays blinking as if I didn't hit anything. I'm worried this will be confusing for my users. The time it takes is not always the same, sometimes it's less than 2 seconds, sometimes more than 15, but it's usually around 10. It also happens both on the same network as the domain and off, and both if you get the pass right or wrong.

On win 7, 8, and 8.1, it would take a long time to log in if you were outside of the domain's network and got your password wrong, which I assumed was because it was checking the domain to see if the password had changed from what it had cached, and then would time out (20+ seconds). If you got the pass right, it would let you in instantly.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this, and if you have, how did you fix it or are you just living with it?

:)

nraney, Oct 15, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows Logon Squence: Profile Load and GPO

Hi jms_797,

WinLogon.exe controls the whole startup process and the User Profile Service is started before GPO

Full Description of the Startup process:

Power-on self test (POST) phase

Initial startup phase

Windows Boot Manager phase

Windows Boot Loader phase

Kernel loading phase

Logon phase

Kernel Loading Phase The Windows Boot Loader is responsible for loading the Windows kernel (Ntoskrnl.exe) and the HAL into memory. Together, the kernel and the HAL initialize a group of software features that are called the Windows executive. The Windows executive
    processes the configuration information stored in the registry in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet and starts services and drivers.

The following sections provide more detail about the kernel loading phase

Logon Phase

The Windows subsystem starts Winlogon.exe, a system service that enables you to log on and log off. Winlogon.exe then does the following:

Starts the Services subsystem (Services.exe), also known as the SCM. The SCM initializes services that the registry entry Start designates as Autoload in the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Servicename.

Starts the Local Security Authority (LSA) process (Lsass.exe).

Parses the Ctrl+Alt+Delete key combination at the Begin Logon prompt (if the computer is part of an AD DS domain).

The logon user interface (LogonUI) feature and the credential provider (which can be the standard credential provider or a third-party credential provider) collect the user name and password (or other credentials) and pass this information securely to the LSA
    for authentication. If the user supplied valid credentials, access is granted by using either the default Kerberos V 5 authentication protocol or Windows NT LAN Manager (NTLM).

Winlogon initializes security and authentication features while PnP initializes auto-load services and drivers. After the user logs on, the control set referenced by the registry entry LastKnownGood (located in HKLM\SYSTEM\Select) is updated with the contents
    in the CurrentControlSet subkey. By default, Winlogon then starts Userinit.exe and the Windows Explorer shell. Userinit may then start other processes, including:

Group Policy settings take effect Group Policy settings that apply to the user and computer take effect.

Startup programs run When not overridden by Group Policy settings, Windows starts logon scripts, startup programs, and services referenced in the following registry subkeys and file system folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

SystemDrive\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

SystemDrive\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Source:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13685960/wh...

DaveM121, Oct 15, 2015
  3. RANerudia Win User
    Microsoft Store asking to re-enter my password

Thanks once again E

I have a different issue now on this. Just tried clearing the windows credentials and it now says the following:

Credential Manager Error

Unable to save credentials. To save credentials in this vault, check your computer configuration

Error code: 0x80070520

Error message: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.

So it look like when i logon to the Store, it's not completeting the process in windows to even keep my logon credentials.

Not sure if this makes things any easier or not??

Thanks once again for your continued help

RANerudia, Oct 15, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

Could be so many reasons. Policies may be loading; DNS issues; updates occurring. Look in the event logs for some clues perhaps. Check with msconfig for startup programs.
    Try some network analysis (Wireshark?) to see what's going on.

Kanata, Oct 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Pass credential phase of logon takes ~10 sec - Similar Threads - Pass credential phase

2. Windows logon credentials error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows logon credentials error: After logging in to my windows 11 work PC using the fingerprint or face unlock I get a pop-up saying that windows needs my credentials and I should logon one more time. Also when this happens, windows explorer takes forever to load and I do not have access to network drives....
  3. Windows logon credentials error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows logon credentials error: After logging in to my windows 11 work PC using the fingerprint or face unlock I get a pop-up saying that windows needs my credentials and I should logon one more time. Also when this happens, windows explorer takes forever to load and I do not have access to network drives....
  4. Wordpad taking 30 sec. to open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wordpad taking 30 sec. to open.: New PC w/Win 11 and Wordpad taking 30 sec. to open unless network disabled. A search revealed the same problem reported for a couple of years. As reported, disable network and Wordpad opens instantly. Why hasn't MS fixed it? Same with AutoPlay which hasn't worked for several...
  5. Wordpad taking 30 sec. to open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wordpad taking 30 sec. to open.: New PC w/Win 11 and Wordpad taking 30 sec. to open unless network disabled. A search revealed the same problem reported for a couple of years. As reported, disable network and Wordpad opens instantly. Why hasn't MS fixed it? Same with AutoPlay which hasn't worked for several...
  6. Windows 10 logon take long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 logon take long time: Recently, I have observed my Windows 10 PC taking long time to logon to desktop occasionally. After entering username and password, it may takes 10 to 30 seconds to complete the logon process and show Windows desktop screen. The Windows logon time is measured after PC...
  7. Logon taking too long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Logon taking too long: I'm running Windows 10 Home, so no solutions involving Group Policy Editor; Windows Update is up to date, all drivers are up to date (updated through the manufacturer's website); I've run DISM, SFC, CHKDSK; I've done a clean boot, disabled all startup programs; Safe mode...
  8. Logging into pc with Microsoft logon credentials

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Logging into pc with Microsoft logon credentials: This morning when I tried logging into my computer with the Microsoft account pin, I did not get an optionto enter the pin. A message was displayed saying that this option is not available as something went wrong. I then tried my password which was also not recognized. I...
  9. Not taking my old credentials

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not taking my old credentials: I have old Microsoft account and had written somewhere safe. Now I can't find it where I had written. Also my recovery email id not receiving recovery link. What should i do?...
  10. Lock Screen to Logon Credentials not working as desired

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock Screen to Logon Credentials not working as desired: The recent upgrade(s) of my Windows 10 Pro sees Version 1709 and OS Build 16299.19 loaded. My original settings of not seeing the lock screen picture not appearing on the logon screen has seen the lock screen picture not being displayed at all, instead it is just a plain...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 logon phase

2. pass phase windows 10