Windows 10: passive or active adapter

Discus and support passive or active adapter in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I just purchased an EVGA GTX 1060 and I have 2 monitors that have a DVI port and a VGA port. If I use a DVI to display port adapter or cable, does the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Plankton, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Plankton Win User

passive or active adapter

I just purchased an EVGA GTX 1060 and I have 2 monitors that have a DVI port and a VGA port. If I use a DVI to display port adapter or cable, does the adapter or cable need to be passive or active?

:)

Plankton, Jul 26, 2017

2. Lumia Display Dock and HDMI to VGA adapter

just to understand some constraints:

• HDMI is electrically compatible with DVI
    • DP outputs from most PCs have an HDMI compatibility mode that allows for:
      • DP-to-HDMI passive adapters [passive means it just uses wiring (no ICs) between the connectors]
      • DP-to-DVI passive adapters
    • In contrast, the USB Type-C output on the Lumia 950XL/950 phone and the DP output on the Display Dock do not have HDMI compatibility mode. To drive HDMI, DVI (or VGA), they require active adapters incorporating bridge ICs. The tipoff is usually that such
      an adapter costs $20-$40 instead of ~$10 for a passive adapter. There’s no good way to tell active versus passive other than by part # and spec.

Jesse Vaught, Jul 26, 2017
  3. murrxx1 Win User
    displayport not working with docking station on Samsung NP600B4B

I found that there are 2 types of displayport output which need different adapter types: passive or active.

I guess I need an active adapter for my displayport.

So I ordered myself an active one and I will update the issue here when I know if it makes a difference.

murrxx1, Jul 26, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

CountMike, Jul 27, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    You can't go from DVI to DP, only DP to DVI or HDMI etc.

or are you just using the term DisplayPort loosely ?

Just bought a DP to HDMI cable to hook my daughter`s HP to her new 32" HDTV so I can get rid of the PC speakers.

AddRAM, Jul 27, 2017
  6. Dude Win User
    Yes you can

7. batlhilz Win User
    in order not to fail, i suggest strongly active adapter. that way you can be sure the stuff is fixed correctly by the electrics.

batlhilz, Jul 31, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Plankton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. passive or active adapter - Similar Threads - passive active adapter

2. Windows Security/defender not activating after puting avast in passive mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security/defender not activating after puting avast in passive mode.: I am currently using windows 10 and like to use avast for weekly deep scans and use windows default securit/defender for real time protection. Even after puting avast in passive mode it still claims avast is the main defender and gives me no option to change it. Even after...
  3. Windows Security/defender not activating after puting avast in passive mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security/defender not activating after puting avast in passive mode.: I am currently using windows 10 and like to use avast for weekly deep scans and use windows default securit/defender for real time protection. Even after puting avast in passive mode it still claims avast is the main defender and gives me no option to change it. Even after...
  4. Windows Security/defender not activating after puting avast in passive mode.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Does anyone know what can cause extremely high active and passive opens for TCP Statistics...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does anyone know what can cause extremely high active and passive opens for TCP Statistics...: I'm currently on my laptop that I'm worried might be compromised due to statistics I found running the netstat -s command. This is specifically for TCP Statistics for IPv4. Active Opens: 86317 Passive Opens: 261432 Current Connections: 49 I understand that active opens and...
  6. Passive stylus only works on certain online whiteboards

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Passive stylus only works on certain online whiteboards: Note: I'm using as Asus Transformer windows 10 pc with touchscreen, and I normally use Chrome but have tried Firefox to solve these issues also. I'm a teacher and I've noticed some online whiteboards will allow me to write using my stylus with no problems (limnu is one)....
  7. Passive stylus only works on certain online whiteboards

in Windows 10 Support
    Passive stylus only works on certain online whiteboards: Note: I'm using as Asus Transformer windows 10 pc with touchscreen, and I normally use Chrome but have tried Firefox to solve these issues also. I'm a teacher and I've noticed some online whiteboards will allow me to write using my stylus with no problems (limnu is one)....
  8. Change System Cooling Policy for Processor – Passive or Active

in Windows 10 News
    Change System Cooling Policy for Processor – Passive or Active: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Be it Desktop or Laptop, it’s important to conserve power. One of the ways it can be done is using the System Cooling Policy. Since Desktops are always plugged in, it becomes even necessary to save power when you are [...] This post Change System Cooling...
  9. Defender in Passive Mode?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender in Passive Mode?: I installed Avast (free version) on my new pc because I have had good success with Avast on my Mac for years. I have repeatedly read that if third-party AV software is installed, Defender will automatically be disabled. This does not appear to be the case because in the...
  10. How to set passive mode for ftp?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set passive mode for ftp?: I had this set, but I can't find it, and I'm guessing an update reverted the setting... I'm trying to ftp to my FireTV, so I have a link in explorer to "ftp://192.168.1.4*Tongueort#" and it was working fine, but now it's telling me I need to set passive mode. I've googled...