Windows 10: Password forgotten long ago

Discus and support Password forgotten long ago in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; A elderly neighbor allowed the Windows 10 upgrade from a Windows 7 machine. After the upgrade all seemed ok until a restart. Apparently the original... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Bobbywires, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Password forgotten long ago

A elderly neighbor allowed the Windows 10 upgrade from a Windows 7 machine.
    After the upgrade all seemed ok until a restart.
    Apparently the original user account was set not to require a login and the password was long forgotten.
    After the upgrade and restart the password was again required.
    The guy didn't create a password recovery disk.
    The user has a valid Microsoft account but the login wants the local account.
    Because it was a online upgrade the owner doesn't have a Windows 10 disk.
    Any way to switch to the online account without the local user account login?

:)

Bobbywires, Nov 16, 2015

2. nokia password recovery/ reset

dear

i changed my nokia 5800 password long ago and have forgotten it, thus i want to reset my phone but can not remember password.

the phone is working but not good and want to reset it. please any one have a solution can help me via email

Moderator's note: Email address removed. Please do not share personal contact details on the boards.

wasalawena, Nov 16, 2015
  3. Nokia N70 Memory Card.

When I was about to update my phone software, the program told me to backup everything onto my memory card, as my phone memory would be wiped. Unfortunately, I forgot that I had put a password onto my memory card a long time ago. I have a lot of valuable
    information on the memory card, but I've forgotten the password.

Is there ANY way to retrieve it?

Thanks.

crazzytazzy, Nov 16, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Password forgotten long ago

I don't know if this will work or not, but it is worth a try:

From the login screen, click the power icon in lower right. Hold down the shift key and click restart. That will put you into the troubleshooting menu. Then I think you click Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, See More Recovery Options, Go back to the previous build.

That will go back to Windows 7, hopefully, and he can either create a new administrator account in Windows 7, or possible change the existing user password that he doesn't know. To be safe, before attempting to mess with the existing user account, I would create a new administrator account first.

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2015
  5. Tried that but it requires a login to do it

Bobbywires, Nov 16, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I think he's probably pretty much locked out, then. If nobody else can come up with a solution, this is what I would recommend, there are a couple of options :

If you/he has an external storage device with enough space to hold all the used capacity on his hard drive:
    On your computer, install Macrium Reflect Free and create a Rescue USB/DIsk. You'll need an empty 4gb USB flash drive or DVD. Boot his computer from the Rescue USB/Disk and create an image of his hard drive to the external storage device.

Or, if you don't have external storage device, but plenty of free space on his hard drive, you will want to download the MiniTool Partition Wizard Free bootable CD ISO file and create a bootable USB/DVD. Boot his computer from that and shrink the existing operating system partition by enough to create empty space big enough to hold at least 90% of the used space on the operating system partition. Create a new NTFS partition in the empty space. Then go back to the previous step, make a Macrium Reflect Free Rescue disk and make an image of the operating system partition saved to the new, empty partition you created.

Then you will use the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 installation USB/DVD. Boot from that, select Install Now, then Custom Install. Click on the current operating system partition and reformat it. That will erase everything on it, that's why you make the image first. Then clean install Windows 10 to the newly formatted empty partition. Create a new account after Windows 10 is installed, and you can use the Microsoft account login if you want to or a local account.

Install Macrium Reflect Free. "Explore" the image file you created, check the box for "allow access to restricted files/folders". Then he can copy over his data files from it. All his apps and programs will have to be installed from scratch, though.

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2015
  7. loris Win User
    Hi Bobbywires! Try to use the free software NTPASS which can remove local password. But you need to install NTPASS to a CD or USB drive using another computer you have access to.

loris, Nov 16, 2015
  8. Password forgotten long ago

Before I was able to try NTPASS the neighbor paid a local shop to role his PC back to Windows 7.
    I think Microsoft has made a serious error in the Windows 10 upgrade.
    1. The admin password should be required to start the upgrade.
    2. Users should be warned to make a note of the Microsoft Account's password before creating one in Windows 10 because the next login requires the account's password. And you have to be logged it to change back to the local user.

I have had 3 friends call me in panic after the Windows 10 blitzkrieg convinced them to make the change.
    The lack of web information on these issues seems to missing from the Microsoft FAQ's

Thank you for your help on this matter.

Bobbywires, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Password forgotten long ago

1. Password forgotten long ago - Similar Threads - Password forgotten long

2. Forgotten Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forgotten Password: Does anyone have any tips on a forgotten password for an Outlook account?We have an account which is logged in on both iPad and iPhone - but within Calendar app, so we cannot see the password.We have tried to the forgotten password/fill in the form with details we can...
  3. Forgotten Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forgotten Password: Have a HP All-in-One with Windows 7 on it. Password forgotten. Answers to Questions to Reset Password also forgotten. Can anyone tell me how I can bypass this and reset the entry password?...
  4. Forgotten Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgotten Password: Hello,I have forgotten my password to Log into my PC windows 10 however when I select reset password it pops up with a Password Reset Wizard and asks me to reset password using the key disk found in the USB Drive F. I dont know what they mean or why I need to use the Drive F?...
  5. forgotten password

forgotten password: My granddaughter has a Viglen tablet 230 x 135mm. It hasn't been used for several years. She/we cannot remember the password. What can be done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotten-password/75479875-c8ee-40c8-b075-cf0e32e6d3f3
  6. Forgotten password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Forgotten password: Can someone help me to open my laptop? I forgot my recent password yung hindi sana mabubura yung files, cuz all the files that I need for our finals are in there. submitted by /u/p0w3rZ3r0 [link] [comments]...
  7. Forgotten password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Forgotten password: Hello I need to reset my password, because I've forgotten it. Could you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotten-password/dd360b31-3793-4cb9-a9ce-c60e2179d50b
  8. Forgotten Password

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Forgotten Password: Windows 10 version 1909. Is there any way I can determine what the password for my Microsoft Account and Office 365 Account is? When I sign in it accepts the 8 dots in the password field and i wind up in the this forum as I expected. I really don't want to reset my password...
  9. Forgotten Password!!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Forgotten Password!!: Hello folks!! It has been a while since I have been here. My days of providing advice are over, since a couple of strokes took care of them. This time would like to be at the recipient end, and ask for some help from the Windows10 team I consider the best. *Wink Have a...
  10. Forgotten password.

Forgotten password.: I'm locked out of my old laptop. It does not recognize my fingerprint and following moving to a new house I can't find the folder with old passwords and pins etc. I haven't used this laptop in several years. Help...