Windows 10: Password issues with W10 in Safe Mode

Discus and support Password issues with W10 in Safe Mode in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Laptop: HP Spectre x360 Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) I went thru the basic setup on a brand new laptop and used the face... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rhans2001, Aug 19, 2018.

1. rhans2001 Win User

Password issues with W10 in Safe Mode

Laptop: HP Spectre x360
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I went thru the basic setup on a brand new laptop and used the face recognition feature for logon. As I was having an issue with installing some software that runs on Win7, I was advised by the software vendor to install it on W10 in the Safe Mode (Run - msconfig - Normal selected on the Safe Mode page). The Safe Mode requires entering a password to logon; either I did not set that up in the basic setup or have forgotten.

1. Can I now revert to the normal mode (not Safe mode) so that the face recognition feature logs me on

2. If not is there some way to get back to the new laptop state to allow me to restart from the basic setup etc.

3. Is there any other option to get me out of this bind. This is a new laptop and I have no data or anything else installed on the system and hence am quite okay with a complete OS reinstall etc.

4. Does W10 setup allow a logon with just face recognition and does not mandate setting up an Administrator / User password. That would be an issue as in the Safe Mode the facial recognition software would be disabled. Is that also an issue with logging on using the finger print?

Thanks

:)

rhans2001, Aug 19, 2018

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 19, 2018
  3. New FF - passwords

Hi:

If that setting is already enabled, then I suggest as the next troubleshooting step might be Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode)):

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox Help

• Please report back and let us know the outcome, as it will dictate the next steps.
    • Also: please tell us what AV/AM/firewall programs are you running on this system?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 19, 2018
  4. Password issues with W10 in Safe Mode

Question about password in Safe Mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you not able to login into the PC or the Microsoft Account using a browser?
    • Did you check in Safe mode with Networking?

The On-screen keyboard is located in the Ease of access center located at the bottom left corner of the lock screen. It acts as a temporary keyboard in-case your keyboard does not work.

Check if you are able to login by typing the password using on-screen keyboard by following the steps below:

• Click on the Ease of access icon located on the bottom right corner of the screen.
    • Select on-screen keyboard option and type the password.

After entering the password and before pressing Enter,
    click on the icon adjacent to where you typed the password and check if you have entered the right password.

Method 1: Boot your PC in Safe mode with networking
    by following the steps from the link below and check if you are facing similar issue.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words
    Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

To exit from Safe mode follow the steps below:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box.
    • Under Boot tab uncheck the Safe boot
      option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on
    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Method 2: If you are unable to login and is using Microsoft account to enter the user profile, I suggest you to use another PC to reset the password from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

Password issues with W10 in Safe Mode

1. Password issues with W10 in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - Password issues W10

2. Safe Mode Password Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Safe Mode Password Issue: Good Morning I am trying to access safe mode using the password for my Microsoft account the one I used to sign in here but it does not work - if this is not the password how do I find the correct one? I do not recall setting up a password specifically for safe mode....
  3. Safe mode password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safe mode password: I updated my amd drivers and now my windows won't load if not on safe mode, but on safe mode for whatever reason my password is just always wrong. I created my windows account using my Microsoft account, but no possible password I have ever used my entire life has worked so...
  4. Safe Mode Password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Safe Mode Password?: I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home and it is operating perfectly. The other day I wanted to go into Safe Mode and I did the following: Settings / Updates & Security / Recovery / somewhere there I set a setting to open in Safe Mode, then I restarted the computer. I see...
  5. Password and Safe Modes Issues

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Password and Safe Modes Issues: Hello good people, My name is Orlando and Im from Melbourne, Australia. Hope someone can offer some advice on the following problem Im struggling with. When signing in to Windows 10 during initial booting up process, my password is not being recognised and informing me as...
  6. Safe mode and passwords

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Safe mode and passwords: I restarted my computer in safe mode to troubleshoot a problem with new software. It wont accept my password. I have tried to reboot in safe mode with networking so could reset my password and nothing different happens. How do i get it back to booting normally without being...
  7. Safe Mode Password Issue (lost password)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Safe Mode Password Issue (lost password): Greetings all: When I installed Windows on this system, I used a temporary password as my current one is a tad too difficult to use. Once installed, I went to Live and Hotmail to change password. However, now, a year onwards, I need to get into my Safe Mode here, but... it...
  8. safe mode password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    safe mode password: hey! so when i try to login in safe mode its ask me for a password and i know its not pin password and its for my Microsoft account but when i enter the password its show me that the password is incorrect... i tried every single password i know but its still show me that's...
  9. safe mode password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    safe mode password: im unable to restart windows 10 to normal mode. im stuck on entering safe mode since its asking for password. ive used the password and pin and both come up incorrect. ive tried all options possible but each leads to the password stage and incorrect as usual. can i get help...
  10. W10 Safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Safe mode: I have been told that you can enter Safe Mode in W10 by holding the Shift key at startup and tapping the F8 key, do you know if this is correct? (I had a crash after holding he shift key so didn't get any further) 34008