Windows 10: Password Problem at Start Up

Discus and support Password Problem at Start Up in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I downloaded/installed Windows 10 yesterday. Everything went smoothly and it was up and running in under 30 minutes. The only problem appeared to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ChillblastBoy, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Password Problem at Start Up

I downloaded/installed Windows 10 yesterday. Everything went smoothly and it was up and running in under 30 minutes.

The only problem appeared to be that the desktop icons were jumbled up. I then discovered that VPN wouldn't work. Everything else appears to be working OK.

The big problem was the following morning! I started the computer and it asked me, not for my normal PC password, but for my Microsoft password! I had no idea what this was - it was written down on my PC! Fortunately my laptop is still Windows 7 and I managed to request a new password which I used to log in to the PC.

Maybe if I had disconnected from the internet, it would have reverted to the PC password. I didn't try that.

Just a warning to everyone - make sure you write down, on paper, your Microsoft password in case the same thing happens to you.

:)

ChillblastBoy, Aug 12, 2015
  2. John Fer Win User

Password at start up in Windows 10

Hello Robert,

You can always change the settings for your sign-in options. We suggest referring to the reply of
    Jose Est on this thread to help you with your
    concern. This contains steps that you can follow in changing your sign-in options.

Let us know if this works for you.

John Fer, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Password at start up in Windows 10

The request for inserting a password has reappeared in my Windows 10 software each time my computer goes to sleep or when I switch it back on. Previous instructions work only for a short period.

Robert Speirs-Ferrari Building Diagnosis Centre, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Rudy Mas Win User

Password Problem at Start Up

If you upgraded from Windows 7, then this is indeed something you wouldn't expect. *Smile

Since Windows 8, you have the option of using a Local Account or Microsoft Account to logon. However, if you want to use the Windows app store, you do need to logon with your Microsoft Account, because they need to register every app you install to your account.

Rudy Mas, Aug 12, 2015
  5. Great advice.
    I'll bet there are tens of thousands of people who found themselves in your situation.

If you are stuck with a Microsoft account and want to switch back to a
    normal way of accessing your computer, then here's how...

Click the Start button, then Settings.
    Open "Accounts." Under "Your account" select the option to "Sign in with a local account instead."
    That opens a "Switch to a local account" window that asks you to verify your current Microsoft account password.
    Click "Next."
    In the next window, enter a user name (and password if you want to) for your new local account.
    Click "Next."

Changes will be apparent the next time you start your computer.

teachermark, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Password Problem at Start Up

1. Password Problem at Start Up - Similar Threads - Password Problem Start

2. Password on start up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password on start up: I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro. For some reason, I can not make it require a password on startup or when waking up. I am only given 4 options:Windows Hello Face currently unavailableWindows Hello FingerprintWindows Hello PINSecurity KeyWhy not a physical...
  3. Password on start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password on start up: I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro. For some reason, I can not make it require a password on startup or when waking up. I am only given 4 options:Windows Hello Face currently unavailableWindows Hello FingerprintWindows Hello PINSecurity KeyWhy not a physical...
  4. Password on start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 start up login password problems.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 start up login password problems.: Can any please help me get back into my laptop? my hp laptop updated windows 10 a couple of nights ago and when i went to turn it on yesterday it would not accept my usual password, ive tried every password i have ever used and still cant get in. I keep ketting the password...
  6. Start up Password problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start up Password problem: The start up screen password block is already full of characters that I can't delete. I'm asked to change my password but am then given an alternative email address which I don't even know. If I eventually click on a symbol away from the password block I get the proper...
  7. PC Password in Start up

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    PC Password in Start up: So, someone near me passed away and the person who was given certain belongings of his obtained this computer, my boyfriend in turn got it from her and gave it to me, at least two years ago. So the computer was empty except for the administrator name and password, which I do...
  8. Start up password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start up password: While using Windows 7 on my previous computer I needed no password to get into my computer. Now with Windows 10 on my new HP computer I can't start my computer without a password. Is there a setting so I don't need a password to get into my computer? Thanks, Stan...
  9. PASSWORD ON START UP

PASSWORD ON START UP: How do I prevent windows from asking me for my password on START UP ONLY? I did not used to have to sign in, but now I am asked every time I start the computer. THANKS...
  10. "Start up Password Required"

"Start up Password Required": My father is running a 23 inch H-P All-In-One computer running Windows 10, with 8 GB of RAM memory and a 1TB hard drive. Today he called me and told me that he turned on his computer, and a black screen is displayed with a WHITE message box in the middle of the screen. The...