Windows 10: Password prompt, but never set password

Discus and support Password prompt, but never set password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi Group, Well, finally happened. We take extreme care when we set up Windows. We take every measure to make absolutely we never enter a password.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by awildttrout, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Password prompt, but never set password

Hi Group,
    Well, finally happened. We take extreme care when we set up Windows. We take every measure to make absolutely we never enter a password. Microsoft lays a minefield to try to force a password on you. If you're careful enough, it works,,, for a while. You can sometimes go for months booting to desktop without a password. But, inevitably, that day comes; Your first password prompt to login to windows. ....You Panic !!!!!!!!.... You know you never set a password. You have no clue what to enter. You know that microsoft has locked you out of your own computer. You keep trying over and over, desperately hoping it isn't true.
    And then you come here, and we appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

:)

awildttrout, Dec 12, 2017

2. Expired password, but never had any password??

Hello,

For us to provide you the possible resolution and the accurate information regarding your password expiration issue, answer the following questions:

• When did the issue start?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • Which particular account are you trying to recover your password from?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to log in? If you do, a screenshot will be appreciated.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Looking forward to the requested information for us to effectively assist you.

Lizette Ags, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Expired password, but never had any password??

Hello, I have a big problem. My password has espired but i don't know what was the old one so i can t change it and i'm locked from my account.. I NEVER knew i had a password because i could log in without one. I built my pc by a pc shop and they never
    gave me this information.. I need help..

Guimauve6962, Dec 12, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Password prompt, but never set password

Yes it happens. I have Windows set up from the start with a local account but you still enter that password somewhere in the process... and you have to remember it or write it down for when you accidently log off instead of shutting down etc.

So advice *Smile

1/ Write it down... you can't argue its not secure doing that because you opt to use no password anyway.

2/ When all else fails and your stuck... simply recover to a system image you made earlier using the bootable media applicable to the imaging program.

(you do make system images ? They are the single best disaster recovery option going)

You don't. We've all been there *Smile

So, no system image and no clue of the password. Hmmm. Could be reinstall time and a note to self saying 'I will never ever do this again'.

Seriously, I hope there is a way back from this but if there is then I don't know it. That is the whole point of the password. If it can be bypassed then it would be useless.

Mooly, Dec 12, 2017
  5. muchomurka, Dec 12, 2017
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    I've read in a few places that this does not work in Windows 10, although I always use passwords and then tell windows to automatically log me in, and not to display login screens after sleep etc. - so I have never been shut out.

Try googling windows 10 password workaround for a few methods to accomplish this. Most of them require you to boot into a recovery environment, create a new account with admin rights, and then fix your old account from that.

Fafhrd, Dec 12, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    If you read our rules discussion of hacking password is not allowed

Samuria, Dec 12, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 12, 2017
  9. Tested right now on v1709. Of course it works well, as always before.

muchomurka, Dec 12, 2017
  10. TairikuOkami, Dec 12, 2017
  11. Very useful on Domain Controllers *Smile*Smile*Smile

muchomurka, Dec 12, 2017
  12. Thanks to all who replied. There was a lot of good information here.

awildttrout, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Password prompt, but never set password - Similar Threads - Password prompt never

2. Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??: Hi, I’ve basically been frozen out of windows. So I installed a new graphic driver then suddenly when it restarted it wouldn’t allow me to boot into windows. It’s booting my computer into troubleshoot. The problem I’m having is that it won’t allow me to boot into safe mode...
  3. Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??: Hi, I’ve basically been frozen out of windows. So I installed a new graphic driver then suddenly when it restarted it wouldn’t allow me to boot into windows. It’s booting my computer into troubleshoot. The problem I’m having is that it won’t allow me to boot into safe mode...
  4. Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Factory reset with no password but now I'm being prompted for a password that never existed!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory reset with no password but now I'm being prompted for a password that never existed!: I just bought a brand new ASUS laptop. I installed something unsavory and had to factory reset the laptop. Upon doing that I was prompted to sign in using my password for defaultuser0. The problem is I never set one and no matter what I try old passwords, Microsoft passwords,...
  6. Factory reset with no password but now I'm being prompted for a password that never existed!

Factory reset with no password but now I'm being prompted for a password that never existed!: I just bought a brand new ASUS laptop. I installed something unsavory and had to factory reset the laptop. Upon doing that I was prompted to sign in using my password for defaultuser0. The problem is I never set one and no matter what I try old passwords, Microsoft passwords,...
  7. Password set to never expire with GPO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Password set to never expire with GPO: Hey, I Modified our GPO for Password policy to never expire (maximum password age = 0), I confirmed that the GPO took effect on all computers and on DC, but users passwords are still expiring (i confirmed they are not old expirations). submitted by /u/TeqWize [link]...
  8. Windows Security password prompt with no password set up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security password prompt with no password set up: When trying to copy a password from Firefox I get the password prompt. I have no password set up as I'm the only user. No password fails the check, my Microsoft password fails the check too. What do I need to enter? submitted by /u/adamski234 [link] [comments]...
  9. Prompt Password

Prompt Password: Hi, I have 3 email accounts linked to Mail App for windows 10 I would like them to prompt me for password when opening as I need them to be secure for work How do I get them to do this Thanks Elise...
  10. Password prompts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password prompts: When I am in the password settings for Gmail, and I want to view passwords for websites that have been stored, windows always prompts me for my windows login and password before I can view the passwords for the websites. How can I disable that feature? I am using windows 10...