Windows 10: Password protect a folder W10

Discus and support Password protect a folder W10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. looking for a password manager to protect a folder in my documents,Did some search and came across this one that I found on inserting password... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by menu, Oct 12, 2015.

1. menu Win User

Password protect a folder W10

Hi.

looking for a password manager to protect a folder in my documents,Did some search and came across this one that I found on inserting password protect a folder into the search box top right.

Does any one know anything about this software Please or any other similar method.

Many thanks to all.

PS,Forgot to say if you select the video on this site there will be some girls dancing.I believe its just an advert I hope.
    I'm not looking for this for anything down that line,Just want to keep some medical records safe.

Safeplicity - Password protect your important data - files and folders

:)

2. Windows 10: Enter Network Credentials Username and Password for a computer that already has "no password required sharing is enabled"

Of course there is still the problem of accessing files on another network computer with password protection active.

My previous posts apply when "Turn off password protected sharing" is set in Advance sharing. With W10 set to use password protection, no user, password combination on W7 works. Not W10 passwords nor W7 passwords.

On the other hand, W10 does get access to the W7. I use the W10 user pass and get access to everything shared on W7. Not intuitive, and the sharing computer is not protected by entering the inquiring computer's password. It may be protected by the User
    Group password, but that is visible on multiple computers and may have been printed out or copied down many times.

I do not understand what user pass is required or where it is verified or how to set it when password protected sharing is set to "on".

Paul L Bristol, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Password Protected Sharing, Password required is an old password.

I want to see files on a W10 computer from a W7 computer via WiFi or Ethernet LAN.

Advance Sharing Settings:

Windows 10 and Windows 7, File Sharing, Password Protected Sharing is "On" for both computers. No "User group" is setup on either computer.

Steps:

I use "Windows Explorer" on W7 to navigate to W10 through "Network" in navigation pane.

W10 and "Users" are visible on W7.

When I click on the desired user, the following popup opens:

"Enter Network Password"

"Enter your password to connect to:W10"

When I enter L:
    *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and CURRENT password, it is rejected. Files and folders on W10 are not shared.

When I enter L: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and OLD
    password, it is accepted. Files and folders on W10 are shared.

I expected the required password to be the same as I use to log directly into W10; the
    CURRENT password. How can I update the required password to be the current password?

Regards,

Paul Bristol

Paul L Bristol, Oct 12, 2015
  4. Password protect a folder W10

I don't know how it is in the UK, but medical records in the US are subject to very strict Federal regulations about privacy, aka HIPAA.
    It's not something I would want to freelance with, especially with untested and possibly non-compliant 3rd-party software.
    There is little/no slack cut for violations and the penalties are substantial.

I would assume there is something similar in the UK?

Unless you are talking about your own personal medical records on your own personal, home computer (and even then), I would research the rules very thoroughly before proceeding.

<just sayin>

MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 12, 2015
  5. menu Win User
    Many thanks for your thoughts on the issue.

And yes it's for my personal medical info on my own pc,I have so much paperwork regarding my medical problems over the past ten years.
    So I thought that I would scan all the documents and save in a secure place,Then I would be able to destroy the original paperwork as it's taking up a lot of space.

Many Thanks.*Thumbs

6. Kanata Win User
    You can do this in Windows 10 without any additional software, but it's not quick and easy to do. Google around for it and you'll find some sites that go through the detail.

Kanata, Oct 13, 2015
  7. simrick Win User
    simrick, Oct 13, 2015
  8. Kanata Win User

Assuming he's using Windows 10 Pro. I don't believe Windows 10 Home version supports Bitlocker.

Kanata, Oct 13, 2015
  9. menu Win User
    Many thanks to all.

Would you say that the 7zip would be okay to use with a strong password.How secure is it??

Many thanks.*Cool

10. Kanata Win User
    7Zip uses AES encryption and is supposed to be very secure. The thing you need to watch out for is where the original unencrypted source file, or a copy of it, goes after encryption. 7Zip works in a different way in that it encrypts files and folders rather than creating system encryption.

Kanata, Oct 13, 2015
  11. menu Win User
    Can you please explain on this

Thank You

12. Kanata Win User
    Bitlocker encrypts the entire disk volume and you add files and folders within that encrypted system, whereas zip or 7zip encrypts individual files and folders as needed in a normally unencrypted drive.
    When you have a plain file, say a text file, you use 7zip to create an additional file that is encrypted. You need to make sure the original unencrypted file is removed and that no copy is made of it, such as in the Windows temp folder, where someone could find it.
    Hope that explains it a bit clearer.

Kanata, Oct 13, 2015
  13. menu Win User

That was spot on Got it.
    Thank you very much.*Drink1on me

14. Silvera Win User
    I did not see a real solution for Windows 10. Is Safeplicity the only answer. I have the "Freebee" Windows 10 that replaced that junk called Windows 8 & 8.1. 10 looked pretty good until all the big brother stuff started taking over photo viewer, pdf's etc. Heck, now I'm considering dumping W10, but not an easy thing to do from what I have found.
    I have some personal stuff that I would like to keep personal. I guess just unplug the external and locking it in a drawer is the best answer.

Silvera, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Password protect a folder W10 - Similar Threads - Password protect folder

2. Password protect a folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password protect a folder: I want to password protect a folder but the option is greyed out.I did the Press Windows + R, typed services.mscDouble-click on Encrypting File System EFS, under General change the Startup type to Automatic.Hit Apply, then OK.Restarted your PCStill greyed outTried regedit but...
  3. Passwords Protect a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Passwords Protect a folder: Hi, How to password protect a folder I'm windows 10? I mean to be able to access this folder a password must be entered 1st. thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/passwords-protect-a-folder/3b4da16a-ddad-45db-82c4-95cc55290f19
  4. Password-protected Folders

Password-protected Folders: Hello everyone! Seeking for help from computer experts here. I have some confidential and 'personal' files in my laptop, but sometimes my workmates and siblings borrow my device. There was one time when someone borrowed it, then he made a file search and the computer...
  5. Protecting a folder with password

Protecting a folder with password: I have a folder on my PC {on a Desktop). I want to protect the folder with a password, so that unauthorized person even if they copied the file cannot open the folder without knowing the password Thanks Grigory...
  6. Password Protect a Folder?

Password Protect a Folder?: Is it possible to secure the contents of a folder in Windows 10 file manager? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protect-a-folder/77a747c2-27de-4546-92f5-512d7db8bf7b"
  7. Password Protect Folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Protect Folders: Hello guys, I'm looking for the best way to Percypr my Folders with password with Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protect-folders/29c5fd72-09f3-4478-aa6b-d7656cf5f3e0"
  8. Password protected folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password protected folder: Hi, Is there any free third party app that allows to create a password protected folder in W10.....? Thanks, -BBDS 78173
  9. Protect Folder With Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Protect Folder With Password: Trying to find normal software. Can't find anything good. I need software which gonna lock folder with password (NOT HIDE or move somewhere). Tried lots of softwares but nothing good. Why there is no normal software for things like this on Windows? For android mobile there...
  10. Password Protect Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Password Protect Folders: I am trying to figure out how to password protect some work folders on my laptop that my girlfriend uses sometimes. She likes to snoop around and would rather not have her looking at my work documents. I tried to follow this guide but it doesn't seem to be working: How...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 password protect folder

2. how can i password protect a folder in w10

3. how protect a folder in w10