Windows 10: Password protection of applications

Discus and support Password protection of applications in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am looking for a way to password protect certain apps on my PC running win 10. What i mean is that i want to put a password when trying to open the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Skylar, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Skylar Win User

Password protection of applications

I am looking for a way to password protect certain apps on my PC running win 10. What i mean is that i want to put a password when trying to open the application. Is there any such function built-in win10 or do i need a third party software for this?
    If the latter, can you recommend any such software ?

:)

Skylar, Mar 26, 2016
  2. DonTolson Win User

Password Protection for uninstall applications

It sounds like you are suggesting a change to require a password after you select 'uninstall'?

If so, it would be best to submit this via the WindowsPhone User Voice web site.

DonTolson, Mar 26, 2016
  3. Password Protection for uninstall applications

Iam using Nokia lumia 720 . Except screen lock code , additional password protection is needed to avoid unwanted touch .
    Example : To uninstall applications password is required . So please provide an update to solve this problem,,,,,

Niko Belic, Mar 26, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

Is this for yourself or to stop others using certain apps.

You can set the UAC to always require an password, I assume you are the administrator of the machine in question, just add run as administrator to any program you wish to protect (and don't tell others the password *Wink

Another option would be Microsoft Family
    Family Settings - Manage for Child in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Barman58, Mar 26, 2016
  5. Skylar Win User
    Thanks for the tip Barman58,

I am the only user of the PC but would like to keep friends & family out of some applications when i have visit.
    Actually, i don`t use UAC and would prefer to have a dedicated application to handle the password protection. Do you know if there is any good software for this purpose?

Skylar, Mar 26, 2016
  6. Barman58 Win User
    As I come from a Professional sysadmin background, I've always used the internal security in windows as it's far more integrated, and thus more secure, than any 3rd party app could ever be.

The Dual Token system of UAC, lets me work in the way I've used since NT3 without the need for running two accounts and logging in & out all day *Wink

In reality the setting that I have UAC set at , (second from top), means that I only see it a few times a day now I have my apps installed, and if it does pop up it does make me consider what I'm doing

I've not seen any program locking software for some time, but if you create your account with a password and always lock your screen when you leave it's pretty well protected, you could also set up the guest account for friends and family they wont be able to do much damage using that *Wink [Tip set a blank screen screen-saver, on your account, to a reasonable time, set to require password to unlock, for those times when you forget *Wink ] in normal use the WINKY+L combination locks things up

A quick google on "password protect programs running", gave a good number of hits but they all appeared to date back to 2008-2009 so would not likely be suitable today

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Password protection of applications - Similar Threads - Password protection applications

2. password protect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    password protect: when i try to open a pdf file or excel file its saying password protect, please typ in password. I cant remember what it was https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protect/01bb2a0c-9349-4126-bf3b-548a955b16a4
  3. password protect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    password protect: when i try to open a pdf file or excel file its saying password protect, please typ in password. I cant remember what it was https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protect/01bb2a0c-9349-4126-bf3b-548a955b16a4
  4. password protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    password protection: do two factor authentication https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protection/b5f30a01-dd96-4192-886a-d69737316363
  5. Password protection

Password protection: I Windows 10 is a disaster for me. My password was rejected so I created a new password which was accepted. After acceptance I was asked to sign in again with the new password. It was rejected....
  6. Password protect applications in Win 10?

Password protect applications in Win 10?: Is there a way to do this just for certain standard account users? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protect-applications-in-win-10/d867b069-504f-4224-836f-01130255ef61"
  7. Password Protection

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password Protection: To access my laptop I currently use a PIN or I can use my Microsoft password. I am about to let someone else have access to my laptop to install some things so for the near future I would like to have a password that only opens my laptop and is not my microsoft password....
  8. password protection

password protection: How do I set passwords for specific folders or individual files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protection/104dd3dc-c77b-4026-a315-9771cdc10249"
  9. password protect

in Windows 10 Customization
    password protect: how can I password protect settings? I am wearing thin with a certain company reverting them back to default without permission of the PC,s owner https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protect/d9dc5b16-585f-4dde-90d7-f0c1b38a4fdc
  10. Password Protection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Password Protection: I am looking for a solution or something built into windows that will produce & protect my password. these days we seem to need password for so many sites & devices. It would be nice to have something that you can load all your login details into then each time you go to...