Windows 10: Passwords and Auto Sleep

Discus and support Passwords and Auto Sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just upgraded from windows 7 sp2 to Windows 10.. I'm pissed at MS because it makes me log in with a password. I don't have sensitive information. No... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cfuglein, Nov 19, 2015.

1. cfuglein Win User

Passwords and Auto Sleep

I just upgraded from windows 7 sp2 to Windows 10.. I'm pissed at MS because it makes me log in with a password. I don't have sensitive information. No one but me uses the computer, so its a big PITA. Someone suggested a program to run so that when I reboot, I don't have to sign in. That works okay, but now the damn thing falls asleep, and I STILL have to sign in with a password.

So, I figured I'd get around that by extending the auto sleep time, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Carl

:)

cfuglein, Nov 19, 2015
  2. idnaos Win User

Windows 10 sometimes does not ask for password on startup

If your computer asks for your password when resuming from sleep mode only and never does on reboot, then I think it's not a bug but a feature called "auto logon".

See here if you would like to have a password prompt on reboot, too (via "control userpasswords2"):

Set user for auto logon on windows via batch script

See here if you would like to configure password prompt behavior on resume from sleep:

Prevent Windows Asking for a Password on Wake Up from Sleep/Standby

idnaos, Nov 19, 2015
  3. Sign-In Drop Out

troubleshooter detected auto updates off, turned it on. However the display and graphics drivers have been replaced

and updated previously by HP tech support so driver updates are not an issue. One second sleep and return to Start continues. Also removing password requirement only works on initial start. After sleep, password required.

Still no solution. Help!

Guy frustrated, Nov 19, 2015
  4. AndreyT Win User

Passwords and Auto Sleep

Whether to require a password after waking up from sleep is configured in Control Panel -> Power Options. Click the link Require a password on wakeup in the upper-left corner.

On the next windows you should be able to change Password protection on wakeup setting to Don't require a password.

(You will need admin rights to make that change. And you will have to click Change settings that are currently unavailable in that window to make these settings changeable.)

Of course, if you don't want your computer to fall asleep at all, you should probably check sleep settings in Control Panel -> Power Options​ first.

AndreyT, Nov 19, 2015
  5. caperjack Win User
    you didn't need software to stop the need for login password, just type netplwiz in RUN, uncheck user must use password to login,type in your password and save changes ,that's it

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Passwords and Auto Sleep

1. Passwords and Auto Sleep - Similar Threads - Passwords Auto Sleep

2. Auto sleep no longer working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto sleep no longer working: For the last six months or so both my auto screen shutdown and auto sleep have not been working. Instead I always manually sleep when I leave my computer. Any advice how to fix automatic sleep? Auto screen shut off is set for 10 minutes, and auto sleep is set for 15 minutes....
  3. Auto sleep no longer working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto sleep no longer working: For the last six months or so both my auto screen shutdown and auto sleep have not been working. Instead I always manually sleep when I leave my computer. Any advice how to fix automatic sleep? Auto screen shut off is set for 10 minutes, and auto sleep is set for 15 minutes....
  4. PC wont auto sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC wont auto sleep: hi for months my windows 10 wouldn't auto sleep and i spent days trying to rectify this problem, but nothing worked, however i have just noticed that since the last update the other day it now has begun to work properly and auto sleeps to the settings i input, was Microsoft...
  5. auto fill passwords

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    auto fill passwords: set up autofill on sites such as facebook and email so as not to have to re enter every time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-fill-passwords/cab9e11b-2138-4db0-b02e-4ef5f9ca7496"
  6. Auto Sleep not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Sleep not working: Well, since the update to 1909 my auto sleep doesn't work. The monitor goes to sleep at the right time but the computer stays on. I've set every combination for sleep times but, nothing works. Googled said problem and all of the suggestions are useless. Can't go back to 1903...
  7. Pc won't auto sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc won't auto sleep.: Basically my PC wont sleep. A USB audio device and Legacy Kernel Caller are preventing it. I have already disabled my headphones as well as unplugged and re plugged them. Powercfg -requestsoverride doesn't work either. Powercfg -requests is below. Please help, since this is...
  8. sleep and password

sleep and password: why my windows 10 always sleep and ask password? how to disable this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/sleep-and-password/89707911-7293-45f3-9365-a5bf1a3b3234"
  9. sleep password

sleep password: For whatever reason my HP laptop with Windows 10 changes my settings on it's own or even if the settings is what I want, it does the opposite. When my laptop goes to sleep and I wake it, it wants my password even though it is set to not ask just wake. It just started to do...
  10. sleep activates auto sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    sleep activates auto sleep: After starting up no automatic sleep, display stays turned on (all power options NEVER, all BIOS options DISABLE) When turning computer to sleep manually (standby S3 available) it goes sleep and wakes up normally. AND then after two minutes goes to automatic sleep,...