Windows 10: Passwords not being deleted.

Discus and support Passwords not being deleted. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have a Microsoft Account and sign in with a PIN. If I turn off Sync in Settings it doesn't make any difference. The passwords are still not deleted.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Judesman, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Judesman Win User

Passwords not being deleted.

I have a Microsoft Account and sign in with a PIN. If I turn off Sync in Settings it doesn't make any difference. The passwords are still not deleted.

I use Edge but not a lot. Also I downloaded Chrome last week when I didn't want it on an update from CCleaner, very annoying but I didn't see or clear the tick box. To completely remove Chrome is a problem.

Ken, could I ask you to do something for me please. When you are logged into this Forum could you have a look under Web Credentials/Web Passwords and see if the Ten Forum web details are there. Mine do not appear.

Judesman, Nov 7, 2017

2. No problem. As I said I do not save passwords in browser but sure, I can try.

So I went to Edge, went to TenForums and signed in. I removed the check mark for keep me signed in.

I enter user name and password. Edge prompted me is I want to save password. I said yes. Went to Credential manager. Top of list, actually only one, Tenforums. So it did as it is supposed to do.

To erase I went back into settings, Advance Settings and down to Passwords. I clicked on "Manage Passwords", then click on little X beside Tenforums. Went back to credential manager, site gone. Shutdown Edge. Started and type Tenforums.com. Took me to sign in page.

I will note I deleted passwords using the "Manage Passwords" in Advance Settings.

Different than yours as you said no Credentials are showing in Cred manager.

Do you have another machine that you log into with your MS id? Is it displaying same behaviour?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Judesman Win User
    Thanks so much Ken. I replicated you procedure exactly using Edge and everything worked perfectly.

I usually use IE 11. So I did the same using IE and all worked well until I got back to the Win 10 Forum log in page having deleted everything and I found that I was still logged in although Web Credentials was clear and I had deleted Passwords in Browsing History. This must be an IE problem and is typical of all the other web sites that I have logged into and relied on Delete Browsing History/Passwords to remove my logged in status. It no longer works in IE since the update. I will have to make sure that I do not save passwords using IE in future.

Thanks for your help.

Judesman, Nov 7, 2017
  4. Passwords not being deleted.

Very cool. As I said I don't use a browser to save passwords. Edge is leaky and I'm just not sure about the others. The info is way to important.

I use a password manager, fully encrypted. I can sneaker net onto phone and tablet so my passwords are always with me.

Good luck.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  5. Judesman Win User
    Thanks Ken. I meant to say that I don't have another machine to try this out on but will find someone with a Fall set up so I can see what happens with IE on another computer.

Judesman, Nov 7, 2017
  6. Judesman Win User
    Piriform have managed to replicate this problem.

It seems to me that a straightforward thing to do would be ask if any IE11 user who has updated with Fall is able to replicate this problem. Someone needs to sign on with their password and username to a forum or other website and save the password (NOT A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT). Then using "Delete Browsing history" with Passwords ticked see if their log in details are erased. They should be but since Fall they are not. Any takers please? For example I remain logged into the Forum regardless of the number of times I delete passwords. That never used to be the case.

Judesman, Dec 9, 2017
  7. Mine worked as advertised. Password deleted.

I opened IE. Went to yahoo.com and logged into mail. It offerred to save password and I said yes. Closed IE. Started IE and went to yahoo.com, clicked on mail and it opened. Closed IE.

Started IE, went to the delete panel. Removed the check mark beside "Preserve Favorites Website Data". Check mark everything below that and deleted. When data was deleted went to Yahoo.com. Click on mail. It said who are you?

Is this the test you wanted.

Caledon Ken, Dec 9, 2017
  8. Judesman Win User

Thanks Ken. That is the test I wanted but not the result I expected. I don't use Yahoo, could I trouble you to repeat the experiment with this forum please. I remain logged in even when I delete everything. Presumably you have Fall. Many thanks.

Judesman, Dec 9, 2017
  9. Sure. I think it is key to remove check mark from "Preserve ...."

Yes Fall update, from 1703, from 1607.

Caledon Ken, Dec 9, 2017
  10. Performed exactly the same. Logged in, save password. Closed. Started, went to Tenforums, logged right back in. Closed.

Started IE, deleted all, went to Tenforums, who are you?

Now this version of Windows is logging into local account, if that matters.

Caledon Ken, Dec 9, 2017
  11. Judesman Win User
    Well Ken, this is weird. I have never removed the check mark from "Preserve favourites website data" before. I removed the check mark, deleted Browsing History and remained logged into two random sites. So I logged out manually, logged in again and went through the same procedure. This time all my log in details had been removed. I have tried this twice with the same result so that is good. I have no idea what is going on here but thanks so much for your help, much appreciated.

Judesman, Dec 9, 2017
  12. Great. If you have something bookmarked (Favorites) and the check mark is checked, then that site data isn't deleted, at least for cookies and it appears Passwords.

Again I don't store passwords in Browser and only use keep me signed in on a few sites.

I use a password manager.

Glad things are moving forward.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Passwords not being deleted. - Similar Threads - Passwords being deleted

2. Deleted passwords

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted passwords: Why does Microsoft edge keep deleting my passwords? I've tried to do what it says that i saw on here when another asked same question. And I had to restore my entire computer to a previous restore point. ONLY for it to happen again tonight. WHY DOES IT keep doing...
  3. Emails being deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Emails being deleted: Hi. Every email that gets opened, gets deleted if I exit the program or change folders and come back. They are not stored in the deleted items folder, just totally gone. I have ran Norton Antivirus and Superantispyware, neither one picked up a virus that was causing this....
  4. Emails being deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Emails being deleted: Hi. Every email that gets opened, gets deleted if I exit the program or change folders and come back. They are not stored in the deleted items folder, just totally gone. I have ran Norton Antivirus and Superantispyware, neither one picked up a virus that was causing this....
  5. All my saved passwords are being deleted

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    All my saved passwords are being deleted: I recently received a Windows 10 update. Now anytime my computer restarts all my saved passwords are being deleted for all my web browsers are being deleted. It's a home PC, no other users. Windows 10 Home Version 2004 OS Build 19041.508 How can I stop this from...
  6. Passwords not being remembered

Passwords not being remembered: Hi, since the last set of updates, none of the passwords that were meant to be saved for automatically entering are doing that. Some examples: 1. OneDrive no longer logs in on launch of PC; 2. Outlook keeps telling me that my credentials need updating i.e. manually...
  7. deleting password

deleting password: I want to delete the admin password on my Windows 10 computer. How can I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-password/961c013c-3eaf-46de-ac30-4fd4a8abd2f4
  8. password not being accepted

password not being accepted: Computer was recovered and on start up the computer will not take any of my passwords or pin numbers. The message I get is reset your password, but we do not have the resetting disc. The computer was set up at Office Depot 4 years ago and 160 miles from here....
  9. delete password

delete password: how to delete lock screen password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-password/31cfc83e-bbbf-4937-a2bc-31d8d9719447"
  10. Not being able to delete.

in Browsers and Email
    Not being able to delete.: Using Windows 10 and Windows Live Mail. I have two questions. 1. I an not able to delete some junk emails. Some junk mail delete and some don't, and those that don't delete are accompanied with an error message "An unknown error has occurred." I have quite a collection of...