Windows 10: Path of a vanilla Windows 10 system

Discus and support Path of a vanilla Windows 10 system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Could someone who's done a clean install of Windows 10 tell me what their PATH looks like, please? You can see this by opening a Command Prompt and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Swifty, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Swifty Win User

Path of a vanilla Windows 10 system

Could someone who's done a clean install of Windows 10 tell me what their PATH looks like, please? You can see this by opening a Command Prompt and issuing the command "echo %path%"

I have a problem that a number of programs on my system fail with a popup such as "Perl interpreter has stopped working", and I suspect I have a rogue DLL somewhere along my PATH.

My plan is to write a program that sets the %PATH% variable to the "standard" version, then runs the perl.exe program.

If Perl works, I'll be one big step closer to a solution. If Perl still "stops working" then I'll have to look elsewhere.

:)

Swifty, Aug 10, 2015

2. Win10 update path for a system out of date a bit.

In order:

1. Don't rush to install Windows 10 Creators Update

Don't rush to install Windows 10 Creators Update

2. 12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703)

12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 April Update (Version 1803)

3. How to Upgrade from Win10 (1511) to Win10 1703 (AKA Creators Update) via ISO

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1803 Spring Creators Update Using ISO File from Versions 1709, 1703, 1607, 1511 or 1507

YMMV!

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 10, 2015
  3. motobojo Win User
    motobojo, Aug 10, 2015
  4. pparks1 Win User

C:\windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

pparks1, Aug 10, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:
    \Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\S
    ystem32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\
    ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SimplePass
    \;C:\Program Files\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  6. Swifty Win User
    Thanks for the anwers. I've now turned an obscure problem into a confusing set of obscure problems.

First off, the PATH doesn't seem to be the source of the problem. I get the same symptoms with my path, and the very simple path above.

In the process of testing the various paths, I wrote a small program in Open Object REXX, to set the path (to the directory where my perl.exe resides) and then to run hello.pl with various paths. They all worked.

Then I wrote a BAT equivalent program, and they all failed.

Then, I opened hello.pl by hand. It always failed.

So, Open Object REXX is setting things up so that perl.exe works. But I have no idea what it might be doing under the covers. I'll ask the Open Object REXX gurus...

Swifty, Aug 10, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Rexx runs as a service so runs under System credentials if I remember correctly.
    Try running from a Elevated Command Prompt.
    Try changing to the directory the pearl script is in before running it.

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Swifty Win User

I started cmd.exe with "Run as Administrator", but I still couldn't get perl.exe to run (get the ...has stopped working... popup). In fact, I get the popup even if I run perl.exe with no parameters.

But I've made an additional discovery. If I invoke the perl.exe from inside a rexx program then it works. But if the rexx program calls a script such as get_iplayer.cmd and that script then calls perl.exe then the perl.exe fails.

So, it seems that it is the Windows Command Processor that is failing, assuming that *.cmd scripts are processed by the Windows Command Processor. That's cmd.exe isn't it?

Anyway, it's getting late (for me, anyway) so I'm going to sleep on this.

Swifty, Aug 11, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Where did you get the version of pearl you are running (link)? Did you install it under Win 10 or waas it installed undr 7 or 8.1 then you did the upgrade to 10?

Ztruker, Aug 11, 2015
  10. Swifty Win User
    The perl.exe which is failing was bundled with the get_iplayer program. It isn't "installed" as such, it just exists in the same directory as the get_iplayer code. It is "modified" for use with get_iplayer, so I can't just use a standard perl executable (presumably)
    I installed get_iplayer originally under Windows 7 Ulimate x64, and then migrated to Windows 10 about a week ago.
    The perl.exe is dated Sep 9, 2014.

Swifty, Aug 11, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    What about uninstalling and reinstalling get_iplayer?

btw: I love Rexx, been using it since the late 70's (main frames) to OS/2 to Windows.

Ztruker, Aug 11, 2015
  12. Swifty Win User
    I installed the newer version of get_iplayer as my first attempt at fixing the problem. I should have mentioned that.

I'm almost at the point where I can live with this. All I have to do is find the tasks that are generating the "... has stopped working" popups, and see if the trick of running them inside REXX fixes them.

The main problem I foresee is the bunch of 4/5 popups I get on a boot/restart - they all point at "The Windows Command Processor", and that doesn't really tell me what was going on at the time. Still, restarts are pretty rare these days, so it's not causing me a big problem.

Swifty, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Path of a vanilla Windows 10 system - Similar Threads - Path vanilla system

2. the system cannot find the path specified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the system cannot find the path specified: PDF saved with long name, can't rename, move or delete. That gives me a message saying “the system cannot find the path specified”. in CMD Please what should I do?...
  3. System cannot find path

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System cannot find path: I opened my laptop to see a blue screen with weird options and it won’t boot. There is no option to reset the computer so I have been trying to do it to through the boot bcd. I get all the way till the end when it asks “Add installation to boot list?” When I click yes it says...
  4. System cannot find path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System cannot find path: I opened my laptop to see a blue screen with weird options and it won’t boot. There is no option to reset the computer so I have been trying to do it to through the boot bcd. I get all the way till the end when it asks “Add installation to boot list?” When I click yes it says...
  5. System cannot find path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Visa Vanilla card not going through.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Visa Vanilla card not going through.: Hi, I am trying to purchase Among Us on the Microsoft store site. But my Visa Vanilla card isnt working because "we couldnt get authorization for this payment". I have plenty of money on the card but it isnt going through. I can ensure you that I checked the VisaVanilla...
  7. Vanilla Visa Gift Card

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Vanilla Visa Gift Card: i have a Vanilla Visa gift card that will only let me do zip code on their website, i believe years ago they allowed you to also change name and address but now there is no option. i need help on how to purchase something without name on card. Visa gift card post doesn't...
  8. Trying to update vanilla Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to update vanilla Windows 10: So I have a three year old HP laptop that I dug out of the closet. My mom's broke and she needs one for work. It was running poorly so I did a full restore deleting everything and reinstalling the OS. I tried to run Windows update afterwards and it installed up to 1607 for...
  9. Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working ): Hi I keep getting this symptom from time to time , it fixes with windows updates but then occasionally come back . I have a list of advertising and malware websites that I filter through hosts file that are often used by a chat client as per the chat client community...
  10. System Path variable length problem

in Windows 10 Support
    System Path variable length problem: I was having a problem with Apple's SyncServer.exe (part of iTunes). It was choking on the length of my system PATH environment variable (2388 bytes), so I temporarily hacked it below 2047 bytes, and it worked OK. BUT I couldn't use Control panel/System/Advanced Systems...