Windows 10: Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10

Discus and support Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10 How to Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10 OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10

How to: Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10

How to Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10

OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service that comes with your Microsoft account. OneDrive is integrated into Windows 10 where you can view, browse, upload, and share the files you saved online to OneDrive from any PC, tablet, or phone.

Once you chosen files and folders with your PC.

Starting with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you can pause syncing of files and folders on OneDrive as needed.

This tutorial will show you how to pause and resume syncing in OneDrive for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Stop Syncing in OneDrive by Closing OneDrive
    1. Click/tap on the OneDrive icon
    Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    in the notification area, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Close OneDrive. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on Close OneDrive to confirm. (see screenshot below)

3. OneDrive will now be closed and syncing stopped until you open the OneDrive app next.

Note OneDrive will also resume syncing when you start automatically when you sign in.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Pause Syncing in OneDrive
    1. Click/tap on the OneDrive icon
    in the notification area, click/tap on More, click/tap on Pause syncing, and click/tap on 2 hours, 8 hours, or 24 hours for how long you want to pause syncing. (see screenshot below)

*note If OneDrive is currently not running to show this icon, then run: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe

2. OneDrive syncing will now be paused until the selected time runs out or you manually resume syncing in Option Three below. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Resume Syncing in OneDrive
    1. Click/tap on the paused OneDrive icon
    in the notification area, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Resume syncing. (see screenshot below)

*note If OneDrive is currently not running to show this icon, then run: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe

2. OneDrive syncing will now resume. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 14, 2016

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Freezer Win User
    Windows 10 - OneDrive

[/quote] Click to expand... Sorry, but I think you're confused and keep referring to Onedrive. There is a big difference between the consumer version of Onedrive business O365 version. I do not have the consumer version of Onedrive installed... it is Onedrive for Business. Also, this script is for "Onedrive" .... not Onedrive for Business. Thanks anyway.

OneDrive (for Business) built-in Windows 10 differences?

No thanks for providing a non-rant version. I ought to recruit about 20 million people and walk down to Microsoft headquarters and do them in. Tired of Microsoft forcing their childish development skills on the masses.

Freezer, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Freezer Win User

Windows 10 - OneDrive

This is Windows 10 Pro... Enterprise is an entirely different deal and I'm sure I won't have problems that route, but I'm not forking over more $ to dipshit developers. The only thing I can think of is un-linking my Office 365 accounts within Office, but that defeats the purpose of accessing the files ONLINE and managing them from there. I have two alumni accounts, not a single problem in Windows 7/8 until M$shit devs decided to integrate Onedrive. I've deleted, renamed, set read-only to "msosync.exe," ... but windows continues to add it again and again, and NOW I just noticed it's now linking to groove.exe, instead of onedrive. Sooo fn annoying!

Onedrive on Windows 10 is not an 'app' it is integrated. Plus I don't fool around with the Windows Store thoughtless developer child bullshit. Windows Store ought to be completely removed from the Windows platform all together. Also I do not intend to completely remove Onedrive, it defeats the purpose... the purpose is to REMOVE it from Windows Explorer navigation and startup.

Freezer, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10 - OneDrive

I use Groove Music and OneDrive hasn't ran again. I suspect Office 365 is behind restarting it. There might be a setting in Office 365 somewhere to disable OneDrive.

This will get rid of one drive. Put it in a .bat and run it:
    Code: @echo off echo Uninstalling OneDrive... start /wait "" "%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSWOW64\ONEDRIVESETUP.EXE" /UNINSTALL rd C:\OneDriveTemp /Q /S >NUL 2>&1 rd "%USERPROFILE%\OneDrive" /Q /S >NUL 2>&1 rd "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive" /Q /S >NUL 2>&1 rd "%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft OneDrive" /Q /S >NUL 2>&1 reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}\ShellFolder" /f /v Attributes /t REG_DWORD /d 0 >NUL 2>&1 reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}\ShellFolder" /f /v Attributes /t REG_DWORD /d 0 >NUL 2>&1 echo. echo OneDrive has been removed. Windows Explorer needs to be restarted. pause start /wait TASKKILL /F /IM explorer.exe start explorer.exe[/quote]

FordGT90Concept, Oct 26, 2019
  6. P4-630 Win User
    OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync - MSPoweruser

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Pause Syncing OneDrive

2. cannot pause onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot pause onedrive: The googled way I found to pause onedrive:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-to-cancel-or-stop-sync-in-onedrive-4885c27e-3d89-4d69-be75-2646c71367d3... doesn't work for me. It says to find the Onedrive cloud icon on the task bar and right-click on it. Well, I have...
  3. cannot pause onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot pause onedrive: The googled way I found to pause onedrive:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-to-cancel-or-stop-sync-in-onedrive-4885c27e-3d89-4d69-be75-2646c71367d3... doesn't work for me. It says to find the Onedrive cloud icon on the task bar and right-click on it. Well, I have...
  4. Syncing is paused resume syncing and try again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Syncing is paused resume syncing and try again: Hello. I can see my Google photos just fine but when I attempt to open a folder or photo on Windows 11, it tells me “We can’t get to this file because my computer syncing is paused. Resume syncing and try again.” I have went into my computer settings and my sync is turned on....
  5. Google Chrome Sync Paused

in Windows 10 Support
    Google Chrome Sync Paused: Not sure what caused it but for some reason google chrome keeps pausing sync and I have to sign in every time I open the browser. I switched to the hidden administrator account and the issue is not there. I have uninstalled chrome, reset chrome, added the address to the...
  6. Disable OneDrive Pausing Sync In Battery Saver Mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable OneDrive Pausing Sync In Battery Saver Mode: OneDrive keeps pausing sync automatically every time I am running in battery save mode and I have to keep enabling it manually. How do I disable this annoying setting?...
  7. Onedrive is pausing - why?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Onedrive is pausing - why?: I must over and over again start onedrive that is paused by itself. pls explain to me why. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-is-pausing-why/3dbc6aef-ac51-40eb-bfd4-66ea1c9eebe7
  8. Where is "Pause" on OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where is "Pause" on OneDrive?: I get alert to pause, but cannot pause. The menu containing "Pause" is gone. How to pause? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-pause-on-onedrive/6b47b85d-9232-44be-891f-c46b79eb00d1"
  9. Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync on Metered Network

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync on Metered Network: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync on Metered Network How to Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync when on Metered Network in Windows 10 Microsoft account. OneDrive is integrated into Windows 10 where you can view, browse, upload, and...
  10. Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync in Battery Saver Mode

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync in Battery Saver Mode: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync in Battery Saver Mode How to Enable or Disable Automatically Pause OneDrive Sync when in Battery Saver Mode in Windows 10 Microsoft account. OneDrive is integrated into Windows 10 where you can view, browse,...