Windows 10: Pausing updates

Discus and support Pausing updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; First the question, then the background. I'm on Windows 10, build 1703, kb15063.786. I turned on the Pause update option. What exactly will this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bkshiroma, Jan 17, 2018.

1. bkshiroma Win User

Pausing updates

First the question, then the background.

I'm on Windows 10, build 1703, kb15063.786. I turned on the Pause update option. What exactly will this stop? Namely, will this prevent build 1709 from downloading and updating, and for how long?

The background:

I was on anniversary edition, when Windows decided to update me to 1709. It rebooted, and just when it was about to finish up, gave me the "Can't complete installation" message, and threw me into an endless loop I couldn't get out of. I'm not sure why, though it may be my AMD driver. Anyway, nothing I tried worked (reset, system restore), and I eventually reformatted my drive, and reinstalled everything and it put me back to build 1511. Windows then again tried to update me to build 1709, crashed my system again, and I was forced to reformat and reinstall again. Long story short, I turned on "defer updates" but despite this, it then first updated me to Anniversary edition, and then when I woke up this morning it was the Creator's edition 1703. I then found I had to turn on "Pause updates" again (why the name change?). So again, what will this do? Can I expect to get updated up to build 15063.877? And more importantly, will it prevent 1709 from downloading and crashing my computer again?

By the way, one thing I did learn in this process. If 1709 crashes your computer, let it crash it three times until you get to the advanced startup and immediately ask it to restore to a previous build. Reset and restore don't work, and if you try it first, then restoring to a previous build won't either.

:)

bkshiroma, Jan 17, 2018

2. Pausing of Windows Updates - Which updates does it actually pause?

Thank you!

Calvin.009, Jan 17, 2018
  3. Pausing of Windows Updates - Which updates does it actually pause?

Actually, this include security updates too that are paused.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 17, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Pausing updates

Pause updates is a temporary pause for all updates, including the cumulative updates which you'd want.

1709 is a 'Features Update' so you should be looking at the options to defer features updates. These too have had some name changes, but in 1703 you get the option to choose between 'Current Branch' or 'Current Branch for Business' (this is the 'deferred' option) as well as an option to delay a features update for up to 365 days. 1607 or earlier just had a 'tick-box' to defer feature updates.

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

If deferring the features update is not working for you, you could try hiding the Features Update....

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10

5. bkshiroma Win User
    Thanks. I'll look into it.

bkshiroma, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Pausing updates

1. Pausing updates - Similar Threads - Pausing updates

2. How to pause all updates while doing a back up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to pause all updates while doing a back up: automatic updates stop my Aconis back up softwareis there a way to pause all updates while I do a back up? I found for example, the "one drive reporting task" I have options for when it runs but no option to stop if from running brave google and edge all ran updatesis there a...
  3. How to pause all updates while doing a back up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to pause all updates while doing a back up: automatic updates stop my Aconis back up softwareis there a way to pause all updates while I do a back up? I found for example, the "one drive reporting task" I have options for when it runs but no option to stop if from running brave google and edge all ran updatesis there a...
  4. How to pause all updates while doing a back up

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 updates freeze up due to pause feature?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 updates freeze up due to pause feature?: Hello. So , I regurarly check for updates on my Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 , security ones included. Once I am done updating Windows , I pause the updates until next day , I also check for security updates throughout the day just in case. It happens that sometimes upon...
  6. Windows 11 updates freeze up due to pause feature?

Windows 11 updates freeze up due to pause feature?: Hello. So , I regurarly check for updates on my Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 , security ones included. Once I am done updating Windows , I pause the updates until next day , I also check for security updates throughout the day just in case. It happens that sometimes upon...
  7. Why is the update still running despite pause and being set to manual?

Why is the update still running despite pause and being set to manual?: I absolutely HATE Windows 10 and your hijacking of my computer whenever you decide I need updates. I bought a gaming rig to game and despite following every instruction to keep it from running while I'm actually using the computer, so very nice of you to give me a few hour...
  8. Why is the update still running despite pause and being set to manual?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the update still running despite pause and being set to manual?: I absolutely HATE Windows 10 and your hijacking of my computer whenever you decide I need updates. I bought a gaming rig to game and despite following every instruction to keep it from running while I'm actually using the computer, so very nice of you to give me a few hour...
  9. Why is the update still running despite pause and being set to manual?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Windows 11 update ignoring paused updates, causing data loss on overnight tasks.

Windows 11 update ignoring paused updates, causing data loss on overnight tasks.: Windows 11 is ignoring the Pause Updates feature and installing updates that require restarts, and automatically restarting while the update feature is paused. I pause for 1 week at a time and check for updates manually every Tuesday. To head off the 'you can't postpone...